PDA

View Full Version : Database Error

The Benniest
April 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
This morning I was having a Database Error several times when trying to connect to the forum.

Anyone else having this problem or is it just my computer(s)?

Thanks,
Ben

Edward
April 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM
That was a server issue

The Benniest
April 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you as always. :D

Alonzo-ny
April 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I had it also, glad its fixed.

Ninjahedge
April 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Speaking of which,

Is there any way to contact you to alert you of things like this Ed?

I know 99% of them will be "yes I know, they are working on it" or a ctrl-v response to let people know, but it would still be appreciated by many to know that you, and the site, are still OK!!! ;)

I looked at the home page and all I found was a snail-mail addy. Would you like us to write you? ;) :D

Edward
April 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The contact page does contain my email address. In case the forum is down, but the website is working, you can use webmaster@wirednewyork.com; if also the website (and the server) is down, use edward@sudentas.com

Ninjahedge
April 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks! Is there somewhere we can hide some of this info on the website so that we could get at it from a remote location if the forum is down?

I don't want to expose you to any unwanted spam/ads/panderers....

Merry
April 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
That was a server issue

Glad that it wasn't fatal...it happened right after I posted something :eek:.

The Benniest
June 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm having a terrible time connecting today. Database errors, network timeouts, etc.

Anyone else having these problems?

Thanks,
ben

Edward
June 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
New York in Black in White thread got on the front page of social bookmarking site Reddit, so we are getting heavy traffic, which slows down the server.

Alonzo-ny
June 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I wondered why there were 1000+ people viewing that forum.

The Benniest
June 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Alright. Thank you for clearing that up Edward. :)

Alonzo-ny
April 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
This again lately. Reliability on this site is really bad.

Edward
April 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM
What's good?

Here is uptime stats for Wired New York:
January 2009: 99.99%
February 2009: 100.00%
March 2009: 98.66%
April 2009: 99.75%

Alonzo-ny
April 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
None of the other sites I regularly visit have downtime so regularly, and if they do it isnt for hours at a time like this site.

stache
April 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
*waits for shoe to drop...*

Alonzo-ny
April 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Im still waiting for the point of your post.

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
None of the other sites I regularly visit have downtime so regularly, and if they do it isnt for hours at a time like this site.

This site is by and large a volunteer operation. Edward takes care of the technical issues. Considering the traffic we get, I think we are doing a pretty good job.

Lord knows that as an unemployed American, I'm spending more time on here than usual. I'm not seeing the problems you are experiencing.

Maybe you can note the times for Edward.

Ninjahedge
April 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Maybe he was not trying to be condescending, but concerned about a site he likes and what might be causing the problem?

Everyone (myself included) has to stop looking for the most negative possible connotation to anothers comments.

Sometimes Teabagging is just making a cup of Earl.

Grey, not the guy downstairs mind you!

Alonzo-ny
April 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Happened again today. What I get alot is Database error then I refresh the page and it disappears. Frequently it lasts much longer.

NYatKNIGHT
April 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Same thing has been happening to me a lot lately too. Just now for example.

lofter1
April 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Same thing happens in my brain ...

No doubt it's some invasive government-controlled bug.

NYatKNIGHT
April 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well then there's that too. Isn't the PC term "Brain Fart"? Which eventually becomes "Senior Moment".

lofter1
April 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
That ^ is why I switched from PC to Mac :cool:

Fabrizio
April 24th, 2009, 11:47 AM
A few days ago I was having trouble accessing the site, at the same time I had been suffering from a bout of constipation. I imagine it was purely a coincidence... but still, I felt so guilty. It's just the way I was brought up, to think everything's my fault.

Alonzo-ny
April 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Database error again last night for at least an hour, I went to bed so I dont know when it disappeared.

scumonkey
April 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I got one yesterday for a few hours as well...

stache
April 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
It's Edward's way of telling us to go outside and get some fresh air.

Alonzo-ny
May 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
All day today until now.

scumonkey
May 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
From around 8:20pm 5-19-09 until about 11:55 am 5-20-09 :confused:
I almost had to reach for some meds ;)

kz1000ps
May 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I hate to say it, but this site is unreliable. I see Edward posted some performance stats on page one, and while they look impressive in their own right, experience tells me that no other forum or webpage I frequent goes down as often as here.

Having said that, I'll now say that my love for this place is unconditional!

BrooklynRider
May 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
After I've slept some, I'm going to give you the big overview of what's going on at WNY - and why this site is different from others.

But, first, sleeepp.....

lofter1
November 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've refrained from posting about this for some time, because I understand the web is just machinery doing it's thing, however ...

Can anyone clue me (us) in why the WNY site so often will not load / connect? It seems to willy-nilly disappear for minutes (hours ?) on end with no rhyme or reason. This doesn't happen on other sites / webpages where I spend (too much :o ) time.

It's especially aggravating when it happens while composing an intricate reply or post, only to find that when the "Save" button is clicked the next thing that's seen is a window saying "Unable to Connect" -- and the work is for naught and I'm left clueless as to what's going on. It's like a bad version of Guess the Location.

Any clues whatsoever are appreciated.

BrooklynRider
November 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm guessing that it is an issue for Edward to address. I had a database error earlier today and the site froze up on me about 30 minutes ago.

lofter1
November 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
At least I know it's not just me and me Mac.

Now, I'd not be so surprised or concerned if I was still grinding away on my old PC where such mishaps were expected ...

[tossing it to NH for retort]

hbcat
November 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have yet to run into this and since I tend to be on while its late evening/middle of the night in NY, I wonder if the WNY server gets overloaded during mid-day or early evening in the U.S.

Did this problem just start, Lofter? I have been visiting for more than a month now and occasionally the page will time out, but I've never had the problem you describe.

lofter1
November 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Not a new thing.

hbcat
November 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
OK, but does it seem to happen most often during "internet high-tide," e.g. 4-9pm, EST? This info might help Edward et al identify the problem.

lofter1
November 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'll try to track the down times. Yesterday it was late afternoon, but it doesn't seem to always line up with that time period. Sometimes it's at 1AM, sometimes in the morning.

lofter1
November 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM
It just went down for about 5+ minutes.

Here's what I saw:

11/18/09 9:50 AM

Safari can’t open the page.

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=305448#post305448” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

Alonzo-ny
November 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I've had database error a couple of times over the last day or so. Usually I have got the site back on a refresh though.

lofter1
November 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
When it won't load I try to refresh, numerous times, but usually get a continual "Can't Connect" for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.

lofter1
November 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It just went down again, but this time I got a different page saying this (it took me a couple of refresh attempts to reconnect):

11.19.09 12:01 AM

Database error

The database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
• Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
• Open the www.wirednewyork.com home page, then try to open another page.
• Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.wirednewyork.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

195Broadway
November 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM
At around 11:00pm, I got the "Database error" message here in Houston. It lasted nearly a minute.

scumonkey
November 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Last night from 2:45 till way past 3:00am
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wirednewyork.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Alonzo-ny
November 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Windows Explorer couldn't find the site this morning. This was from 1030 to 1130 GMT.

195Broadway
November 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Same here in Houston.

hbcat
November 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Same from overseas, using both Firefox and Google Chrome.

DMAG
November 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Same here. Was not a DB error, just server not found.

Merry
January 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing very slow loading when navigating and posting just lately?

On Thursday, new posts were extremely slow (several minutes) to load and eventually I got a Database Error and Server Not Found error and the site was down for while after that. I don't know for how long, because I gave up. There have been several occasions where my posts have been duplicated when this happens, although they don't appear to load.

Today was fine for a while, but now it's become very slow again and one post was posted 3 times. Obviously clicking on Submit Reply (more than once) is being recognised but the post is not appearing as normal.

I have several tabs open in Firefox at the same time and haven't had any problems with any other sites.

Feedback appreciated.

Alonzo-ny
January 30th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I kept getting the 'couldn't connect' message from explorer on Thursday morning.

stache
January 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Sounds like server problems.

scumonkey
January 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
running very slow on and off the past couple of days for me as well.

Merry
February 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Very slooooow again yesterday and today.

Edit: this post initially took 52 seconds to load.

Alonzo-ny
February 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Very slow right now.

Ninjahedge
February 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Very quick right now (not being facetious, just stating what I am seeing here and now...)

Alonzo-ny
February 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Site was down again today until about an hour ago.

Alonzo-ny
February 11th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Site inaccessable again this morning until now.

Ninjahedge
February 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I almost wondered why you would be on at 6:30 am... until I remembered where you were posting from! ;)

Alonzo-ny
March 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Has the site been slow for anyone else today/ yesterday?

stache
March 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Yes, especially when I click 'new posts'.

Merry
March 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Has the site been slow for anyone else today/ yesterday?

Yes, particularly when posting.

Ninjahedge
March 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Today it is slow when trying to post. Takes about 20-30 seconds to get the reply to post....

(not this one, of course!!! ;))

ForestHillsGardens
March 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Not slow for me, it has been like this speed all the time and none database error so far, :)!

Ninjahedge
March 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
The longer the post, the longer the wait (at least that was what it was yesterday).

I think it may have to do with how the software handles small posts and larger ones. Small can just be sent through directly in one shot, but the larger may need disk access to writr (have you ever copied a small file, maybe a meg, it happens in a blink, but 50 megs does not happen in 50 blinks, it starts fast, then creeps to finish. Maybe my size example is not perfect, but I hope you know what I am saying...)

ForestHillsGardens
March 16th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The longer the post, the longer the wait (at least that was what it was yesterday).

I think it may have to do with how the software handles small posts and larger ones. Small can just be sent through directly in one shot, but the larger may need disk access to writr (have you ever copied a small file, maybe a meg, it happens in a blink, but 50 megs does not happen in 50 blinks, it starts fast, then creeps to finish. Maybe my size example is not perfect, but I hope you know what I am saying...)

I get what you are saying, yeah the people who post those news articles here are the people experiencing database errors, unfortunately :p...

Merry
March 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM

I think it may have to do with how the software handles small posts and larger ones.

If that were the case, surely it would be consistently slow for larger posts, which it isn't.

When it was at its worst a while back, it was extremely slow/non-responsive irrespective of the post size.

And it's not just an issue with posting; opening threads is also affected.

It seems like a server/resource issue.

Ninjahedge
March 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
OK.

But, as I said, I notice quips like this one go through no problem, but when I start littinizing.......

Is that a word?

stache
March 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Dictionary.com says no. ;)

Alonzo-ny
March 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
The problem at my end was that everything was taking ages. Entering a forum, opening a thread, etc.

scumonkey
March 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I had the same problem- the whole site was just slow to non responsive.

Daquan13
March 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Same here.

It is frustrating at times.

ZippyTheChimp
March 31st, 2010, 11:08 AM
A little pesky the last two days.

Ninjahedge
March 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Just gave me a time out on a recent post.

I was able to re-enter by going back, but that would have been a major bummer with a more substantial post.