PDA

View Full Version : I bet ya'll be gettin' deja vu...

Ben
April 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
... when I eek out the line "I intend on moving to New York soon!"

Seriously though, I am. Problem is, I'm not sure where to start or how to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

I'm currently making my way through the gargantuan "Moving to NYC" thread above, and I'm piecing bit's together, but I'm wondering whether they'll be people on here willing to answer some of my more pressing questions. I don't think my situation is a special case or that it should be exempt from the thread, it's just that I believe there is a few things which makes my reasoning and decisions different from other people's queries.

Firstly, I'm from Southampton and the UK, so it'll be an overseas move and quite possibly a big culture shock. That's not my biggest issue though, my biggest and most pressing problem is knowing where to start.

Obviously I'm going to need to get a job, ideally before I move but I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if anyone in NYC considers my application seriously. Does anyone know the best way of approaching this? Secondly, the type of employment. I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades but in the past 6-7 years my work has consisted of administrative/clerical roles or as a business developer and whilst I'm sure I'm capable of many of the jobs advertised on Craigslist, would there likely to be anyone who will employ me, especially considering all the "red-tape" likely to be involved in doing so. My question is, does anyone know of any firm, any company who wouldn't have a problem employing someone from overseas, assuming they have their accomodation situation sorted?

I'm aware I will need a working Visa also before I start, but I'm pretty sure I can figure that out if/when the opportunity arises. I've had a quick scout around for similiar jobs and have come to the conclusion that I could potentially be earning $40-$55k with my skills, knowledge and hands-on experience, and was wondering what sort of life I can expect to lead with that income? What sort of accomodation can I afford for that if I was to move to NYC on my own?

Ahhhhh yes, accomodation... once again, Craigslist has been an interesting and informative source of information. I've accrued some rough guides as to the cost involved and there is the possibility of a share with a friend (potentially moving to NYC with me) but I'd like an idea of what I and he can get for $2000 a month, and the procedure of moving from abroad! What do I need? What is the expense? What places are 10, 15, 20 minutes from Manhattan and affordable within my budget? What do you recommend, being residents yourself?

I've rambled on for long enough, I've plenty more questions I need to put to you guys but I've just realised I haven't even given my reasons or motives yet as to why I want to move to NYC! Well, it may sound a bit loose but have you ever felt, at any point in your life, that your life has stagnated and that you just want a fresh start? Well, that's one of MY reasons. It's that and the fact I have an overwhelming passion and desire to experience NYC, I want to say I've done it, I've made it, I've lived. I want to better myself and I want to give myself the best possible opportunity to make a success of my life. Bottom line is, I want to work hard and party hard.

My apologies for the needlessly sucky terminology but I'm half asleep right now, not to mention incredibly confused as to how I'm going to achieve my dream move. It seems so far away right now but I've got all the application, determination and drive to succeed, I just need you guys to give us a little nudge in the right direction. ;)

Thanks for reading my seemingly generic plea for help on moving to NYC, and I thank you in advance for all your advice (hopefully, fingers crossed!)

Kind Regards

Ben

The Benniest
April 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
There is a Moving to New York (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5632) thread already here at Wired New York.

I would suggest reading that.