PDA

View Full Version : New 3.7.0 version of forum software

Edward
April 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
On 4/29/08 I have upgraded the forum software to the latest version 3.7.0 which includes a number of new features; I will describe some of them shortly.

Please report if you are having any issues with this upgrade.

stache
April 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
*cringes at the thought of change...* ;)

Edward
April 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Attachment Viewing Lightbox

Clicking on an attached image will now open a lightbox rather than open a new window, with the image scaled to fit the browser viewport. A click on the image in the lightbox will open it in a new window as before.

Edward
April 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Social Bookmarking of Threads

On the bottom of a thread there are now icons that make it easier to bookmark the thread on social networking sites such as digg, del.icio.us, stumbleupon, google. Other sites could be added if needed.

NoyokA
April 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
One of my favorite new things about the forum is the Networking features.

Click on Quick Links.
You can create an address book of friends and contacts
You can post a photo album
And you can start groups

Edward
April 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thread Tagging

A new way to facilitate searching and grouping of threads, it is now possible for users to add tags to threads they post or read.

Tags can be added when creating a new thread, or to an existing thread. New tags can be created by Senior Users and Forum Veterans. Existing tags can be added to threads by any registered forum member.

Any users who then click on these tags will not only find all thread that have the same tag as the one clicked, but will also contribute to the building of a search tag cloud, which gives users a quick guide as to what has been searched for recently and most frequently.

NoyokA
April 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
^ Another great feature, this should help tremendously in searching for threads.

NoyokA
April 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I started the first of what I hope to be many groups...

WNY Cyclists:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/group.php?groupid=2

antinimby
April 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Forced socialization doesn't work.

NoyokA
April 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Its not forced. If you don't want to join a group, don't. Facebook has the same feature and its quite successful.

The Benniest
April 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Very nice upgrade. I like a lot of things I'm already seeing. :D

I'm a little confused about the bookmarking links at the bottom of the threads. Can this be explained a little more?

Thanks,
ben

BrooklynRider
April 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Forced socialization doesn't work.

You will be my online friend and you WILL enjoy it!

stache
April 30th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Ve haf vays of enfawcink these 'fwiendwy feewings'...

Edward
April 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a little confused about the bookmarking links at the bottom of the threads. Can this be explained a little more?

Users can tag threads with appropriate keywords, then when you click on a keyword, all threads that were tagged with that keyword are displayed. It's another way of categorizing and searching the content.

The Benniest
April 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Yes. I understand that part. The part I'm curious about is the Bookmarks. Like ... Google, del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, and Digg.

Or is that what you explained to me? I get the tags...

Ninjahedge
April 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Ve haf vays of enfawcink these 'fwiendwy feewings'...

German -> Chinese? Is she a shapeshifter??????

(This is not a chawade!!!!!)

Edward
April 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry, I was not paying attention. Sites like del.icio.us, StumbleUpon, and Digg help you bookmark content that you find on the web and share these bookmarks with other people. You have to be a member of these sites already. The buttons make it easier to bookmark forum threads using these sites.

The Benniest
April 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Okie doke. Thank you for clearing that up Edward.