PDA

View Full Version : 2008 - two year anniversary

Taz
April 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/WiebanngPhatchix/tloz0pv.jpg

It’s been 2 years since JB died, and I never really thought I would’ve been affected by it as much as I have been. I still think about the kid every now and then, it’s weird in a way.

I guess with everyone hating each other, some people have forgotten what happened to us 2 years ago today. We all got that same phone call, or the same IM, somebody on the other end telling us JB died. I know because I made some of those calls and IM’s myself and it was easily the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.

I’m disgusted by the way things have changed in the 2 years since I got that call. Everyone said "we’ll always be friends, for JB" and now I sit here writing this while I haven’t spoken to 2 of those old friends in months and some longer.

I'd like to think that every time my life goes down the crapper, with everything that's happened to me over the last...8 months, JB is the one who kicks me in the ass from time to time and tells me to do something about it.

People forget. They forget what friends are supposed to be. Someone to call today when you’re thinking about the kid you never really got to say goodbye to, like most people who knew JB never did. I’ll never forget....

I honestly can’t believe it’s been 2 years. We’ll always miss you, kid.

Broderick John (JB) Hehman
Rest In Peace

Zea mays
April 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have just read WNY's posts of the tragic death of Broderick Hehman. Thanks for keeping the story alive in your forums. I hope his family has come to terms just a bit with his passing, although I know the wound never heals.

I appreciated seeing his mural and forum posting. It seems like he had a pretty good attitude toward life. He must have been a nice guy to know.

I hope the garden is getting along fine; and I hope you WNYers bump into each other there from time to time.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Lots of great friendships and connections were made from the project. I had the pleasure of spending a weekend with JB's cousin back in February. I also met his Dad & sister a few times. They are lovely people.

JB's death had a huge impact on me.

UnknownGirl
April 6th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I guess with everyone hating each other, some people have forgotten what happened to us 2 years ago today. We all got that same phone call, or the same IM, somebody on the other end telling us JB died. I know because I made some of those calls and IMís myself and it was easily the hardest thing Iíve ever had to do.
*hugs you* I still remember. I remember what happened, the call I got, and all the calls and IMs I made. And I remember that we said we'd stay in touch, and then we didn't.

I'd like to think that every time my life goes down the crapper, with everything that's happened to me over the last...8 months, JB is the one who kicks me in the ass from time to time and tells me to do something about it.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Whenever life's hard, or I want to quit something, I just picture that look he had, like he was so disappointed--not in you, but just at the whole circumstance--and I think "No, I can do this, because I want him to be...not proud, exactly, but happy for me." It doesn't always work, I admit, but it helps a lot, picturing him smiling at the end of the tunnel.

People forget. They forget what friends are supposed to be. Someone to call today when youíre thinking about the kid you never really got to say goodbye to, like most people who knew JB never did. Iíll never forget....
*hugs you again* I didn't forget. I never will. And I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or even just someone who understands without you saying a single word.

Okay, enough of the tragic stuff. Part of JB's legacy is that he didn't let life get him down. He LIVED, Goddammit, and so should we! What's happening with the garden? Can we get a day together this spring or summer? I admit, I haven't been keeping up like I should.

To JB: I love you, and I miss you, and I always will. I hope you're at peace wherever you are. :-)

Merry
April 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
People forget. They forget what friends are supposed to be. Someone to call today when youíre thinking about the kid you never really got to say goodbye to, like most people who knew JB never did. Iíll never forget....

I honestly canít believe itís been 2 years. Weíll always miss you, kid.

I understand what you're saying, Taz, but I really don't think that people do forget. They just push the pain as far as they can into the back of their minds. We all deal with it in different ways. But it's always there.

I can't believe it's been 2 years, either. But we're all getting on with it, and I'm sure JB wouldn't want it any other way.

I'll never forget the conflicting feelings that resulted from the despair at such a pointless loss of someone who tried so hard to and did make a difference, and the resolute and unhesitating togetherness at WNY to do something that would make a difference by the remembrance of someone who did.

And I remember that we said we'd stay in touch, and then we didn't.

That's life, which goes on, and I'm sure JB would understand. He knows we remember.

What's happening with the garden? Can we get a day together this spring or summer? I admit, I haven't been keeping up like I should.

It would be really nice to have a tangible reminder of the day when the members of this community who were able did those beautiful things in Maggie's Garden. Some news/progress photos would be a fitting tribute to JB's memory and WNY's efforts to remember him.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
The family did create a private charitable fund in JB's name. Non-profit organizations in our area have benefitted in his memory. His death will always be tragic, but his name and legacy are alive and associated with generosity and love.

The Benniest
April 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I never knew J.B. like a lot of other people did on this forum, but have recently read through some of his posts and threads, and can certainly tell that he was presence here that will never be forgotten.

When I saw the article that Brian posted above, I thought it was the New York Times paying tribute to J.B. (almost 2 years after his dead), but when I saw that it was a new person that was killed, in almost the EXACT same way, I was shocked!

Wow...

Alonzo-ny
April 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I remember him from my early days around here, on the anniversary I had a read through some of his posts, all I can say is he was very insightful and very funny! Unfortunately when he was around I didnt spend as much time on the forum as I do now but Im very happy I did take part in the same discussions as he.

JCMAN320
April 8th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I remember having PM's with JB and conversations when I first started out on here, he was a year older than me. He was very insightful and a great person. I miss him and look back on some of the posts him and I exchanged and really enjoyed the time talking with him. I can't believe it's been 2 years either. I would like to meet at Maggies Garden if anyone is interested in setting up a planting day. I think about him from time to time it pains me to think of how birght a future he had, just to see it cut short.

As for the Columbia student, it is eriely similar to JB's death. What is wrong with these teens nowadays. I see it here in JC in the paper sometimes, where these "wolfpacks" will chase kids or adults and beat them up and in some cases not take anything, just do it for sport. It is sickening. This is what happend with JB and apparently is what happened with Yu. It is just sad and senseless.

Alonzo-ny
April 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Id be up for coming to the garden.

Taz
April 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
It would be really nice to have a tangible reminder of the day when the members of this community who were able did those beautiful things in Maggie's Garden. Some news/progress photos would be a fitting tribute to JB's memory and WNY's efforts to remember him

agreed. i'd actually like to see if we can't get something set up for the weekend of what would have been JB's 23rd birthday, and get a bunch of people together at Maggie's Garden (having never been there myself)

i know several people who would be there in a heartbeat, regardless of work, school, weather, whatever. myself included.

also, good to see the first person i talked to here, BrooklynRider, popped his head out to reply to this thread again.

UnknownGirl
April 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
i'd actually like to see if we can't get something set up for the weekend of what would have been JB's 23rd birthday, and get a bunch of people together at Maggie's Garden (having never been there myself)

i know several people who would be there in a heartbeat, regardless of work, school, weather, whatever. myself included.

I'm in. It should maybe be the weekend after, though, not the week before (his birthday would have fallen on a Wednesday), since the week before is Memorial Day, so lots of people (including me) might have plans. But of course, I know there are other factors to take into consideration, too.

Taz
April 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
definitely. i'm thinking the following Saturday would be best. with June the next day it should pretty well be a nice day, maybe throw some food on a grill and have a drink or 2 in JB's honor.

I'm in. It should maybe be the weekend after, though, not the week before (his birthday would have fallen on a Wednesday), since the week before is Memorial Day, so lots of people (including me) might have plans. But of course, I know there are other factors to take into consideration, too.

UnknownGirl
April 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
definitely. i'm thinking the following Saturday would be best. with June the next day it should pretty well be a nice day, maybe throw some food on a grill and have a drink or 2 in JB's honor.

That sounds great. I really hope it can happen. :-)

Taz
April 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
same here. i'll wait to get some replies on here before looking for the OK on the date and a time and letting people off of WNY know about it. no sense getting everyones hopes up for something that is still unconfirmed.

Alonzo-ny
April 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Im in.

The Benniest
April 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
If at all possible, could we meet at Maggie's Garden for J.B. again during the last 2 weeks of July? That is when I am planning on making a trip back to the city.

I was quite bummed that I didn't get to visit the garden in March when I visited, but would still very much like to see it.

Thanks,
Ben

Taz
April 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
we'll see what the consensus is on here. i mean, myself and UnknownGirl knew JB personally and i think doing something as close to what would've been his birthday holds more sentimental value than a random date in July.

but again, we'll see what the response is on here first and when the WNY outsiders are free (namely people who went to high school with myself, UnknownGirl and JB)

If at all possible, could we meet at Maggie's Garden for J.B. again during the last 2 weeks of July? That is when I am planning on making a trip back to the city.

I was quite bummed that I didn't get to visit the garden in March when I visited, but would still very much like to see it.

Thanks,
Ben

Alonzo-ny
April 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Maybe liase with Edward on this to maybe put an announcement at the top of the forum (like he did for the new webcam), this kind of thing is very important and it is easily missed outside the well traversed forums and especially way down at the bottom of the index.

JCMAN320
April 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm in a weekend works for me.

Taz
April 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
very nice. hopefully this happens and hopefully the end of next month. again we'll see what everyone says, not too many people responding yet.

Alonzo-ny
April 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Maybe liase with Edward on this to maybe put an announcement at the top of the forum (like he did for the new webcam), this kind of thing is very important and it is easily missed outside the well traversed forums and especially way down at the bottom of the index.

Like I said its very easy to overlook this thread way down at the bottom. Did you try Ed to ask if there could be an announcement?

Taz
April 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM
haven't gotten around to it yet, been busy the last few days. is his username Edward?

Like I said its very easy to overlook this thread way down at the bottom. Did you try Ed to ask if there could be an announcement?

Alonzo-ny
April 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yep, hes the boss.

Taz
May 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM
so the announcement is up in all forums. still shooting for the 31st, guys and girls. anyone who is interested, please reply to let us know if that date works and what time would be good.

UnknownGirl
May 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been around (for some reason I wasn't getting Forum notifications, but that seems to be fixed now), but yes, May 31st works for me. Whatever time is convenient for everyone else; I made sure to clear my schedule for that day. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and working in the garden.

Taz
May 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM
still waiting to hear if anyone else is able to make it on the 31st

Taz
May 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
so i guess this isn't happening after all. the 31st is a week away and apparently nobody is coming

Alonzo-ny
May 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
If more people chime in I will come.

UnknownGirl
May 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
So, are we doing this tomorrow? Because I would love to go, love to see everybody and everything, but seeing as it's less than a day away, and I've seen no news...was the decision made to cancel it? For the record, it's still listed as an upcoming announcement, so...I guess I'll check back later.

The Benniest
May 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
How did things go this afternoon?

Ninjahedge
June 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I am so embarrassed!

I completely forgot! Was that Memorial Day Weekend? I was out of town that weekend, how did it go people?

stache
June 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It rained last Saturday -