PDA

View Full Version : Moved to New York - tips

jewels9977
May 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hi All, I just moved to NYC from Arizona my myself about six months ago...it has definitely been an adventure! I still really love the city after 6 months though and haven't gotten mugged or seen a cock roach since.

So if anyone has any questions about moving, just ask. There are a lot of things I probably should have asked about before moving, but it has all eventually worked out.

I'd say the most important things are:

-Don't bring more than a suitcase with you if possible, apmts are small.
-Take plenty of time scoping out apartments -- ask about street noise/bugs or rodents, if there is laundry in the building, if there is an elevator or is a "walk-up" (which means you walk up the stairs), how far away is the subway (and look into whether that particular subway will take you close to work or not -- some parts of Manhattan are really hard to get to from other parts!)
-remember that it's NOT impossible to move here and thousands of people do it all the time, so don't get discouraged! :D I found my first apmt in only a week! (though that roomated ended up being a bit nuts...had to move again in 2 months, but found much better roomies).

If it's helpful info for you, I wrote about the move on my blog.

The Benniest
May 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Really nice tips there about moving jewels9977. Thanks.

HERE (http://www.degraeve.com/reference/questions-to-ask-before-renting.php) is 100 I found on the internet that you should ask before renting.