PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Texas to NY for grad school

superjeff
May 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm moving to NY to attend Columbia, and I'm not sure if i want to stay in their on campus housing or try to find my own place and commute. If I did the latter, I was wondering what you guys thought the most practical place to live would be. I don't care how nice it is, I'm primarily concerned with stretching my $26,000/yr stipend as much as possible. I was thinking maybe Jersey or Queens, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. Oh, and I'll be at the Medical School doing neuroscience, and it's a different campus, further north. Basically the Presbyterian Hospital. I know. I'm going to be poor as hell :(

antinimby
May 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I don't think NJ or Queens is the best for you simply because they are a bit further away from Columbia and since you'll be a medical student, you'll need to devote as much time to your studies as possible than to spend it on needless long commutes.

I say you look at something near campus in the Washington Heights, Harlem and Upper West Side neighborhoods in Manhattan. Even the Bronx can work, too.

antinimby
May 14th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Let me just take something I said there ^ back. Queens can work as long as you live anywhere near the 7, N, W, G, R, V subway lines because you can easily transfer to the 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D lines that serve the area around Columbia University.

The Queens neighborhoods that those subway lines serve are Long Island City, Astoria, Elmhurst, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Woodside.

Maybe that will open up some more options for you. ;)

Schadenfrau
May 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think you'd be able to rent an apartment on that stipend. It sounds like you'd do best to look into roommate situations in Washington Heights.

superjeff
May 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Aahhhh thanks a lot for the replies. Those neighborhoods sound good to me. How expensive do they run? I won't be going to the medical school for my M.D., but for my Ph. D., so I won't be a medical student. I will be studying, but not quite like a medical student. Is it even possible to live on a $26k stipend? Most of the on-campus housing hovers around $1000/month.