PDA

View Full Version : Learning HTML is driving me NUTS.

MidtownGuy
May 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
DREAMWEAVER is making me crazier.

I just want to share that this is torture, pure agony!!!!!
Just when I think I am making progress, a table goes screwy or a cell acts bonkers. Things go out of line. What I thought was set at a certain width starts stretching. I have spent hours searching the internet for the simplest of answers to questions I don't yet have the vocabulary to even pose properly.

It's all making me so frustrated, headaches every day, moving cells and tables around in my sleep even.... at this point, I don't want help, I want a vacation.

If I ever get this website working properly it will be a bloody miracle, and I would have earned every sale I make just for the torture I privately endured!
So, I had to share that with all of you. I do feel so alone, I haven't socialized in months, this(website) has me totally consumed and when I try to explain what I'm creating, no one understands. They won't until it's fully hatched, I guess. Even I don't know exactly where it's going but it feels like something interesting is taking shape. Better be, after all of this.

Fabrizio
May 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Why bother? Don't you have a friend... someone you can hand the thing over to. Just pay them and get it done.

First design every page exactly as you would like it to look (within the design parameters of HTML). Do it up in a graphics program like Illustrator or do the pages as tiff images (in 72dpi at the correct number of pixels). The guy mounting your sight will now have your guidelines and know exactly how it should look on-line. You are the art-director... you should just be concerned with designing it. Let the kids do the html.

MidtownGuy
May 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I made the mock ups in photoshop and illustrator and now I'm using them in Dreamweaver. Of course, I'm also tweaking the mock ups as I go along, changing things here and there. I 've already created a working website, no need to pay anyone at this point for that. It just isn't how I want it yet.

I could pay someone else to do it, and never get it just the way I want. And when it is what I want, I will want something a bit different. This website will evolve with me, growing and changing each day for years as I add designs, subsections, travel photos, music, etc... I plan on constantly tweaking it and making changes and I want to be able to do it myself as I go along. I'm in this for the long haul. Might as well just learn the stuff and then it's a piece of cake like anything else.

My plan is not for a website that can be designed and then becomes just a matter of me plopping in new stuff here and there, like a blog or minimalist photographer's website or whatever. It's a large store with many departments and I will want to constantly tweak niche landing pages for certain products. Ideas come to me as I fiddle with it. Since I started in February it's changed a lot, and I recently started to feel like it was getting somewhere.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to structure my next level of subsections and then get them coded. As one section is completed and starts to contain the first designs (t-shirts/products/etc.), I'm working out how to integrate the next.
It's a shop, but it will be considerably more than that. There will be written content related to the designs, multimedia, music (played optionally, of course), travel photos, a real place to not only shop but also to hang out a bit and soak up some atmosphere. A sort of multicultural, global saucepot of spicy flavors.:D

Meanwhile, as I tweak and design, I am incorporating into the site's structure and content a lot of SEO optimizing techniques I'm absorbing from a tutorial. Lynda.com has been indispensible throughout all of this learning.

In December I didn't know a <p> tag from a line break. I've come a long way.

I'm just bitching now from the growing pains but in the end I'll have a beautiful baby.

Fabrizio
May 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Gee...maybe you could provide a preview link for us here at WiredNewYork.

We're all ready with thumbs-down icons and animated gifs of elves vomiting.

No really.... it's sound great and knowing your taste and expertise, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Is the merchandise things you are having made exclusively for you or items you are buying to resell?

Keep us posted.

Encideyamind
May 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I'm about to take on the same lessons.

Goodmanster
June 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Just got myself one of those books that teaches one how to do HTML, and plan on spending part of the summer learning what I can learn. I have several web sites made by other people, but I am tired of having to depend on them to construct these pages and make the tweaks I want.

If we all keep at it, I'm sure we will learn.

Fabrizio
June 2nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Out of curiosity (because I'd never have the time) how does one learn html from zero (or less than zero)? Does learning html mean writing it from scratch? Programs like Dreamweaver are a shortcut... no?

Ninjahedge
June 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Yes and no Fab. My wife knows more about this than I do, but the concept seems to be if you want something more than the general cookie-cutter designs, you have to know how to do it yourself.

You could probably use DreamWeaver as a start, make a few basic sites, then open up the raw HTML and look at its guts, tweaking here and there to see what you get, but it may be better to START with basic HTML, then use a canned program, then go back to HTML again.

YMMV.

eddhead
June 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Don't look at me. I can't even spell HTLM :eek:

Front_Porch
June 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm with you, the only think worse than trying to learn raw code is giving the job to someone else and watching them not do what you want.

But I feel that way about painting too.

I used to do a lot of the little web tutorials like this one:

http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss

good luck and much patience!

ali r.