PDA

View Full Version : West coast America and Canada.

Meerkat
May 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
In just under two weeks now (2nd June) i'll be over in the US for three weeks. Everthing is sorted, i went clothes shopping yesterday ready for my trip, i've got my guide books, flights / hotels are all booked, i've bought a new camera so that i can share my pictures here when i get home.

Initially i was only going to stay in Los Angeles for a few days as a friend invited me to stay with him, but now my plans have grown to 5 days in LA, flying up to San Francisco for 5 days, flying up to Seattle for 1 night, ferry to Victoria in British Columbia where i'll stay for 2 days, then ferry over to Vancouver where i'll spend a further 4 days. I'll hopefully get the chance to fit in some whale spotting while i'm in Victoria, something i've always wanted to do.

So, here is a new thread so that in a few weeks i can post my pictures, and after hearing about 'sourdough' i'll be able to give my opinion.

pianoman11686
May 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM
If I could offer some advice:

Ditch your plans for LA. I've been there twice on vacation, and there is really not much to see. 2 days is more than enough. And trust me, you'll be tired of the traffic by then.

I know you have reservations already set, but if you could find a way, I think it would be an infinitely better trip if you could manage to make the drive up from LA to San Francisco on Highway 101 and the PCH. It's one of the most breathtaking coastlines in the world. If you could fit in a stop to Yosemite National Park (one day round-trip from Monterey or San Fran is probably enough) and a day in the vineyards of Napa and Sonoma, all the better.

Seattle is a great town, and Vancouver is even better. While in Vancouver, don't miss out on the Sea to Sky Highway (Route 99). For at least an hour, the scenery probably beats out even California's Central Coast.

Have fun and enjoy the trip!

Alonzo-ny
May 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Have a good one mate! I look forward to the pictures.

NYatKNIGHT
May 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a great trip. I have to agree with piano, if it was my trip I would spend less time in LA and a drive up the coast. Not that I dislike LA; I have friends there too and have had a great time there with them since they know where to go. It's just that the other places you're going are a lot more special in comparison, IMO. Anyway, have a great time - looking forward to your photos.

Zephyr
May 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
To be the contrarian, and I shouldn't be ... LA is worth visiting 3, 4, 5 days, or maybe even a week - especially if you have never seen it before, and are there with a knowledgable friend. If nothing else, LA is a great base for several other venues in surrounding communities, such as South Bay, San Diego, Santa Barbara, etc. Your interests are what dictate the length of any stay.

Personally, I do have a bias toward Seattle and San Francisco, because I have visited the former frequently, and lived near the latter because I went to school there initially, and returned for teaching later in my life.

Finally, BC, and especially Vancouver and Victoria, should not be missed. This is still one of the most visited areas in Canada by Canadians themselves, to say nothing of Brits, since their namesake is in the Provincial label no less. The milder climate, meaning temperature not weather, and the great natural beauty, all make it a pleasure to traverse.

Have a joyous and safe trip regardless of your final decisions on detail.

Meerkat
May 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just 5 more days to go!

My new camera can hold 1000 pictures, though i doubt i'll take that many, but i'll post the best ones here when i get home (and get over the jet lag).

One change i may make is staying overnight in Whistler BC, though i'm not sure if i'll have time. The only reason i'll be in LA for so long is because i'm staying with a friend, if he wasn't there i'd probably have stayed for just a couple of days. Anyway, it'll be an adventure where ever i am.

I might hire a car for a day in Canada and drive along Route 99 - thanks for the advice Pianoman.

lofter1
May 28th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Take an extra battery or two -- and a charger.

Meerkat
June 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, i got back safely after my holiday on the west coast - i had a great time, but managed to get very sunburnt in San Francisco.

I took over 600 photographs which i'll post here when i get the chance - it'll take a while to sort through them and pick out the best ones.

Altogether I spent 5 days in LA, 5 days in San Francisco, 2 days in Seattle and Victoria and 5 days in Vancouver.

Alonzo-ny
June 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Welcome back mate!

brianac
June 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you had a great time, look forward to your stories and photo's.

Meerkat
July 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM
A bit of a delay in getting my photos on show.

I have a 4000 word assignment to write in 2 weeks :eek:, so i need to focus on that before i do anything else, so a few weeks and i'll get the pictures online.

Pianoman, i nearly did go go to Yosamite, but the bus journey was about 8 hour round trip from San Fransisco and only a couple of hours in the park, so i didn't bother in the end. Now i regret it!