PDA

View Full Version : NYC Here we come... maybe?

dramaticrunner
May 29th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post here! I've been reading this forum since October and my wife and I are crazy about moving to NYC. We're really trying to think through all the options and make this happen. Ideally we'd like to both have jobs lined up before we go out there, or at least one of us. However we live in California so it's turning out to be quite a challenge. I know the Electrical Engineering industry in NYC is not the best vehicle to get out there, but I'm not that sure I want to stick with EE anyways so that's alright. My wife is an art consultant with a lot of gallery, and museum experience with her share of admin experience as well.

Of course there is the option to just sell all our belongings and pack two bags each and just figure it out when we get there. I figure from selling our stuff (cars and furniture) we could pony up about 15k.

Any tips or leads ya'll could spare would be much appreciated by us.

Thanks!

D.

ablarc
May 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
If you don't have kids it's easier to be footloose and fancy-free. You'll be amazed at how fast that $15k drains away.

I'd have at least one job secured before moving.

MrSpice
May 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
What is your specialty within Electrical Engineering? There are many EE jobs in New Jersey and Long Island not far from the city. Try Dice.com

dramaticrunner
June 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
i guess i'd say my specialty is hardware. I've only been in industry for about 2 years so i'm still pretty entry level.

yeah, I'm sure we'd be much more settled about going out there if at least one of us had something good lined up. I'm definitely combing Dice, careerbuilder, monster, craiglist every chance I get.

Any other advice or tips about how all ya'll transplants went about getting to new york would be much appreciated!

Thanks again

D

dramaticrunner
September 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
So after months and months of sending resume after resume and getting back nothing but silence, my wife and I have finally started communicating with some prospective employers. Sure they aren't jobs quite yet, but hopefully we're one step closer.

The excitement is excruciating.

If anyone knows of any Art, or BSEE jobs that need filling, do tell!

195Broadway
September 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
crunner,
All I can say is follow your dreams. For every inspiration we have in this life, there will be a thousand people standing in line to tell you why it can't be done.

Steven

dramaticrunner
September 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks Broadway!

Things are looking up a little more each day! I'm actually interviewing next Monday for what appears to be a dream job.

I'll keep ya'll posted!

NYCman
September 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
crunner,
All I can say is follow your dreams. For every inspiration we have in this life, there will be a thousand people standing in line to tell you why it can't be done.

Steven
My first post here so I thought it should be in response to your post.
I also want to move out to NYC... from Arizona.
Great advice. Thanks for the positivity.

Amberlicious7583
September 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks Broadway!

Things are looking up a little more each day! I'm actually interviewing next Monday for what appears to be a dream job.

I'll keep ya'll posted!

Good luck!

195Broadway
September 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
dramaticcruner, NYCman,

In the interest of disclosure, I updated my info to show that I currently live in Houston.
I read your responses to my post and realized that you might think I live in NYC, which I don't.

I grew up in north NJ, then we (my family) moved to Houston to take advantage of a work opportunity and more importantly to us, get away from the harsh winters and high cost of the north east.

There were many who came up with reasons why we would never do it.
There were also the personal doubts that we could fit in down here culturally.

I'm very glad we took the chance. It has worked out fine for us. That's why I say go for it! you can allways move back if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Steven:)

PS dramaticcruner, good luck on that interview!

dramaticrunner
September 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I got the job I interviewed for. I'll be starting on October 6th, and am planning on flying out there at the end of September to look for a place.

In the mean time the wife and I will be furiously trying to sell our 2 cars and all of our belongings.

Thanks for the good wishes!!! See you soon.

joe25
September 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I got the job I interviewed for. I'll be starting on October 6th, and am planning on flying out there at the end of September to look for a place.

In the mean time the wife and I will be furiously trying to sell our 2 cars and all of our belongings.

buy 1 get 1 free, and overprice the first car lol

dramaticrunner
September 12th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I keep seeing these ads for luxury buildings that are 1 stop from grand central station in LIC that are actually fairly decent in price. My job is in LIC. Anyone have any first hand experience with these buildings?

Amberlicious7583
September 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Wow that is awesome!! Congrats! :D

Crallyy
September 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
My opinion for you is this....
don t think about it..and just move to NYC...i mean is the beautiful city on Earth..on my opinion....if i lived in USA..i would moved in NY...:)

dramaticrunner
September 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
crallyy

I hear you, but the nice thing is I don't have to think about it anymore! I got the job, I bought the one way plane ticket.

KenNYC
September 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Congrats :)

dramaticrunner
October 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM
I landed last night and am staying with a friend in the UES. I saw 2 places last night, and have got several appointments today! Time to find an apartment for me and the wife!

The Benniest
October 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Very nice!! Good luck today! Let us know what happens!! :D I really like when apartment hunters share their stories because it makes me want to search for my own apartment even more!! :D

Ninjahedge
October 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
GL!

Hope you can find something relatively close and convenient without going broke!!! ;)

Some areas in the boroughs are also nice, as well as Hoboken and Jersey City (depending on where you are commuting to.)

Let us know how you are faring!

dramaticrunner
October 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
so i had 2 and half full days of apartment hunting. meeting with landlords as well as several different brokers. and walking A LOT. i don't want to sound like a weakling, but give me some understanding, i'm from los angeles and only ever have to walk from my parking lot to my car.

so i had 2 apartments that i wanted and both got rented before i could put in an application. i looked at some places in LIC as well, but when i got back into the city, it just felt so much more alive. i decided that for first timers, it would be worth it to experience city. i saw plenty tiny studios with mini-fridges, as well as 1bdrm apts where the bedroom wouldn't even fit a bed. then finally i was with a broker, and she got a tip about an apartment that was just vacated and not yet on the market. i saw it and liked it well enough, and didn't want a 3rd apartment rented out from under me. so i went for it.

i signed lease papers last night and handed over some pretty enormous cashiers checks. since my wife doesn't have a job yet, we had to use an out of state guarantor. since our guarantor wasn't a tri-stater, they wanted double months security. ouch!

in anycase, i'll be moving in next week to my cozy (small) studio on 54th and 3rd. fantastic location for getting anywhere in manhattan, 1 stop and a few block on the E line to my new job in LIC.

the wife will arrive on friday, and then she can start her job search. she's left a job in los angeles as an art consultant, so hopefully she can find something similar.

i'm pretty exhausted from the whole ordeal, but now i've got somethings to do. chicken and rice, and cluck u's in jersey, and looking into booking some gigs in the local clubs.

since it's starting to get cold, let me ask, do i need to buy a seriously waterproof coat? rubber boots?

kidda
October 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Good spot to live in. Lipstick building every morning. Pop in P.J. Clarkes for fish and chips and say hello to Jerry.

Schadenfrau
October 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Congratulations on your new apartment, but for the future, Long Island City is still "the city." I think you mean to say Manhattan.

Alonzo-ny
October 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
We are all aware 'the city' means manhattan.

Schadenfrau
October 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Okay, but Long Island City is located in New York City, as well. Manhattan is not THE city.

scumonkey
October 5th, 2008, 06:14 PM
It is to all who live in Manhattan ;)

Schadenfrau
October 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Eh, wink wink. I've been a Manhattanite as well, and it was even more obnoxious then. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Alonzo-ny
October 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I lived in Queens, everyone knows what 'the city' is just as much as they all know that they are still in NYC in the outer boroughs.

Schadenfrau
October 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
AlonzoNY, this quote completely contradicts what you're claiming:

"i looked at some places in LIC as well, but when i got back into the city, it just felt so much more alive. i decided that for first timers, it would be worth it to experience city."

scumonkey
October 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't think it does....
NYC = all boroughs
"the city" = Manhattan
pet peeve of yours or not.

Schadenfrau
October 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Maybe if you're taking the express bus in from the Queens/Nassau border. I'm still not buying it.

I have heard that saying "the city" to mean Manhattan is a regional quirk within NYC itself, though. Out of curiosity, do people who live in Inwood live in the city by the aforementioned standards? I've never heard anyone from that neighborhood use the term- they say they're going either downtown or to the name of the neighborhood they're heading toward.

dramaticrunner
October 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
i'm probably to new a rookie to have my input be meaningful, but i was just speaking in terminology i picked up from forums, friends and just talking to people in general. didn't intend to irritate, but by "the city" i did mean manhattan. i know LIC is part of NYC, but it just sounds right to me. i did the same to describe san fransisco when i lived int san jose. but strangly not los angeles... cos there really isn't any central "city" in LA. :)

Schadenfrau
October 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
No worries- it's a really common thing to say, especially for newbies or natives from the local suburbs.

KenNYC
October 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Pet peeve or not, it seems to me that people from Brooklyn, Queens etc also mean Manhattan when they say 'the city'.

Schadenfrau
October 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Which neighborhoods, though?

Alonzo-ny
October 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Bloody hell.

KenNYC
October 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Which neighborhoods, though?

Hum, I'd guess about 90th street and downwards, but that would of course be a very biased guess :p

Schadenfrau
October 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Seriously, draw me a map folks. Use blood for the ink and the apparent 90th Street division line for hell. Geography trumps pseudo-provincial slang.

scumonkey
October 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes:

Alonzo-ny
October 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ok Im calling it. This is getting tedious. Off topic. Start a thread if you want.

dramaticrunner
October 7th, 2008, 10:17 PM
shared sentiments :)

Ok Im calling it. This is getting tedious. Off topic. Start a thread if you want.

i should be getting my keys tomorrow night!

dramaticrunner
April 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
this week marks 6 months in NYC for my wife and i!

one of my co-workers is looking for apartments right now, and there are a good deal of 1bdrm apts for less then what i'm paying for my studio. hope prices stay this way till october!