PDA

View Full Version : Applying for jobs in NYC

Just_Dennis
May 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
hi everybody,

sorry, I'm pretty sure my questions have already been asked several times before. But, you know, this thread is hough :o

Just in case I will be a lucky man in the next month and will win a green card, I swear to god I will move to New York as fast as possible ;-)

One of the biggest problems then would be to find a job. To give you a little background about myself: I'm 24 years old, have a high school degree and 7 years of job experience in the stuff-training and service business. Since last year I study business administration (distance study while working full time).

Do you think it makes sence to send applications to firms before I finally move to NY? It's easy to imagine that I won't be really attractive for companies, just think about appointments for job interviews and all that stuff...

Does somebody here have personal experiences with such "long distance" applications?

Thanks in advance!

jst2see
July 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
In case you're still looking you may want to have a look at www.workinginnewyork.com (http://www.workinginnewyork.com) for some pretty decent information on the subject. cheers.

KenNYC
July 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
The chances of winning a green card in the diversity lottery is slim to say the least - even more so coming from a financially strong European country like Germany.

If you really want to move to NY there are two viable (and legal) ways to do it. First and most efficient way is via education. If you are admitted to an American college / university, it's pretty much no problem at all to get a student visa.

Option 2 is employment, however the kicker here is that your employer will have to sponsor you for either a green card or a temp working visa, in either scenario they will have to 'convince' the immigration authorities that they really need to hire you because you have competence they cannot easily find in American applicants. Typically this could work out if you find a US company that could use someone with local knowledge of Germany etc, or a German company that has a US branch etc.

For employment based visas you generally need a masters degree, exceptions for health personnel, computer scientists and perhaps a few other 'high demand' professions.

Simply said, immigrating to the US is not as easy at it once was. The diversity lotteries have a bit over 10 million (I believe, this is easy to look up) applications and around 60.000 visas given in total. Needless to say, we're talking about a snowball's chance in hell of getting one. And I would guess 99% of them are given to people coming from 'disadvantaged countries'.

rmassengale
November 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Speaking of applying for jobs in NYC, how soon should one start applying for jobs before moving there?

stache
November 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
It depends on what kind of job you're looking for.

rmassengale
November 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Typical office job... I would think that 1 week would be good. If I were to apply two weeks or more in advance, I doubt the company would hold the positon just to nterview me.

Then again, there are alway headhunters, a COMPLETE waste of time. Nothing good as ever come from them. They are hungry commission sucking people whom only lookout for themselves...

stache
November 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
That's pretty much NYC in a nutshell. ;)

GraspTheMoment
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
just be prepared... NYC is shedding jobs by the thousands .... it's pretty tough out there right now

BrooklynRider
November 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I suggest applying to German companies with NYC offices. The bi-lingual skills can be handsomely rewarded here. If you have restaurant experience, apply or inquire with German restaurants (such as Rolph's or Lederhosen). German restaurants love authentic German waiters - gives them credibility (most international cuisine restaurants try to do the same thing).

Ninjahedge
December 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, German?

Try, what is it, Lorely's? I hope I got the name right. If they are looking and you are a decent cook, they may have a spot for someone, but I do not know.

All I know is that it is one of the few German places left in the city!

lise
May 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Another source to try is nfcpa.org (http://www.nfcpa.org). Good luck!

derektrainwreck
June 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
i moved from boston and applied for every relevant job

something came together by the time i moved.

good luck!

KenNYC
June 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I think that the best way to receive a green card is through the green card lottery
I sincerely hope you are kidding.

where you have an 1/60 chance every yearThere are 50,000 DV visas and 9.3 million applications (DV2009), the number for DV2010 (which is next) is certain to go past 10 million, most likely by a lot. That equates to 0.53% chance of winning. That is not 1 in 60, in case that had you confused.

and if you are married you and your spouce can apply sepperatly and include each other on each application and now your chance is 1/30 every year.Someone apparently failed probability calculations in math. Buying 2 tickets to a lottery does not double your chance of winning. This should be obvious to anyone that passed 3rd grade.

I came to the USA on a H1B Visa and am now a green card holder, but it took me almost 3 years to find a company in Florida that wanted to sponser me and if I had know about the lottery back then I would have tried that every year.If you had tried, there is a 99.47% chance you would not have been in the US at this time.

Moreso, if you enter into the diversity lottery, you are not allowed to apply for any form of long term visa to the US in the same period. I.e. you cannot apply for a DV visa and at the same time hold an educational or employment visa.

The requirements for the DV2010 are listed at (http://greencardlaw.us/green-card-lottery-requiremnts.html)SPAM
Note that the DV2010 lottery will close December 1, 2008.
Hope this was helpful.I know absolutely nothing about this visa page, but I will emphasis for everyone that considers entering the lottery that any website other than the official government website is going to be a scam of one kind or another. There are a great number of websites that will sell you a service that promises to increase your chances etc, this is fraudulent. There is nothing anyone can do to help you increase the chances (duh, its a lottery), and participating in the lottery does not cost any money, so anyone trying to charge you is a scam. Best case scenario they will actually fill out the application and send it for you. Worst case scenario, it's a black hole for your money with nothing in return.

ZippyTheChimp
June 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
^
The post was spam for a private website made to appear as a government agency. A registration and fee are required. I removed all references.

A lot of this going around now. There's a commercial that interrupts like a bulletin, with a "special announcement." A "representative" speaks with the Capitol in the background.

This crap shouldn't be allowed.

Ninjahedge
June 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
That is the type of thing that needs to be tracked and spammed.

It is one thing if you are genuinely trying to help, but scam deserves spam.