PDA

View Full Version : Internship and finding an apartment in Queens

Louise
April 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hi all. I am a foreign student, graduating this May (MA) from a southern state, and would be starting an internship in Queens by June. I would be receiving $33k during my one year internship and would like to find an apartment close to where I'd be working (Union Tpike/Kew Gardens stop). My concerns are:

1. safety
2. accessibility to the E or F train
3. budget (how much of my salary should go towards renting a studio/1 bedrm apartment?)
4. nearby laundry and grocery store

I don't know how much of the $33k would go into taxes, since I would be paying non-resident's tax.

I also prefer to live alone (no strangers as roommates). But a friend would be staying with me until she settles where she'd be employed (whether in DC or NY.) Would a studio/1 bedroom apartment's rate increase if there are 2 people sharing it? If my friend would be working in NY, we would want to look for a bigger apartment to share.

My questions are:
1. Which area in Queens would you suggest that I look an apartment in?
2. Since I am on scholarship/assistantship as a student, I really have no income, but received a stipend. Would my stipend history suffice or should I ask a written offer of employment from the company I would be working for? (I do plan to have a cousin, living and working in NY to sign as a guarantor.)
3. How much of my salary do you think I should allot for rent and utilities?
4. Would having my friend stay with me in a studio/1bedroom apartment increase the rent?
5. Do you think I would be able to find a 3 or 6month rental? (So my friend and I wouldn't be tied to a small studio or 1 bedroom apartment, if she ends up having work in NY.)

I would really appreciate your help/insights. :confused:

Thank you!

antinimby
May 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Louise, after taxes (you will be a resident so you will be paying taxes just like any other resident) there won't be much leftover to do anything except pay the rent.

You sound like a prime candidate to do the roommate thing. You say you don't want to be bind to a long lease so that's the best way to go.

As for neighborhoods, you can look at Forest Hills, Elmhurst, Woodside, Kew Gardens. These are closest to your workplace, which is in Kew Gardens.

I suggest you use craigslist to find a roommate and/or apartment. The rent shouldn't go up if you have another person coming in to share with you.

Whether you need income verification depends on each individual landlord. Some may require it, while others may not. They'll let you know.

Once you get familiar with the city more, you can then always find a place of your own.

Louise
May 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Antinimby, thank you for your reply. I'd certainly look into the neighborhoods you mentioned.

I really have no idea how much of the $33k would be left after taxes. As a non-resident(foreigner/alien), I would still need to pay State and Federal taxes, but I am exempt from Social Security/Medicare/FICA taxes. And some amount of my salary would be eligible for a tax treaty exemption. Do you have an idea how much state/federal taxes would be?

Also, is there another source for no fee rentals/sublets/roommates web site, aside from craigslist? I have checked out rent.com, but after emailing to inquire about a property, it was an agent/broker that responded. I've also checked tenant.com, newyork.backpage (from the Village Voice), move.com, mynewplace, but no luck so far.

Again, any help/insight would be really appreciated.

Thank you! :)

antinimby
May 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not as familiar with the tax rates for nonresidents so I'll let others answer that one.