PDA

View Full Version : Affordable housing in Manhattan

asdflkijd
June 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Is this even possible? I am a future NYIT Architecture student and am in the process of looking for a place to stay for the year or more...

So far, I have had zero luck, either the ad is a fraud wanting $500 security deposit for the keys so that he can send them from Southern Africa.. :confused: or the location is just too far (flushing, ny. Fort Lee, NJ..)

The school is @ Columbus Circle, so I don't want to have to commute more than 40mins, and I suppose since I am a poor college student, cheaper would be better, but to give you an guestimation, I'd say around 1300 for rent (I know this may or may not be possible within my price range but plz do offer other suggestions)..

Can anyone help this poor soul? Some advice on studio/apt hunting, available rentals, or even some encouragement would make my day.....

Front_Porch
June 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
You are a "poor student" trying to have the commute of a rich person. If you will stretch your commuting time by another 20 minutes each way you will find the choices get significantly better.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

asdflkijd
June 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
You are a "poor student" trying to have the commute of a rich person. If you will stretch your commuting time by another 20 minutes each way you will find the choices get significantly better.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Are you talking about Brooklyn? What about the Upper East? :confused: I'd prefer to stay in Manhattan, but I guess I can commute... I'm guessing the most I'd want to pay is 1,700. but 1,300 being the g-spot. :D Thanks for the advice though! I noticed that you are the "local Broker", how much do you charge? 15%? Do you have any listings available in the Manhattan Area that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg?

MikeW
June 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c040.gif

Schadenfrau
June 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Try Washington Heights or Inwood, if you're looking to commute to the west side.

Front_Porch
June 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I do charge 15% of a year's rent, generally, and I love finding clients on these boards . . .

but I find that for clients who want budget rentals it is generally better to find a local neighborhood broker (I work Chelsea/SoHo/Village/Tribeca, and you'll have better luck uptown.)

ali r.
{downtown broker}

normaldude
June 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
If you want your own place for $1300 or less, try Astoria or Long Island City. The commute to Columbus Circle should be quick.

If you want to live in Manhattan, close to Columbus Circle, for $1300, you'll probably need to find a roommate situation.

lendbz
June 16th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Or you can try Lenox Terrace in Harlem, if you want budget rental and stay in manhattan and doesn't want to move to brooklyn or queens. It's about 15 minutes to columbus circle on the red line.

For in Harlem, lenox terrace is one of the better address to live in. Governor Paterson lives there, congressman Charles Rangell lives there, and other elected officals.. but most of all, I LIVE THERE! That's the important part :D lol

Anyway,
Studio there goes for ~$1300
One bedroom ~$1700
two bedroom ~$2400..

didgeridoo33
June 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
regarding everyone's responses, is it really THAT impossible to find a studio on the UWS/UES for $1300?

stache
June 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Yes.