PDA

View Full Version : Looking for apartment - Brooklyn, Queens

jc277
June 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
My roommate and I are currently looking for a place to rent for July 1st. I've recently accepted a job in the Financial District and he will be going to school at E 23rd st. & 3rd Ave. We're looking for something that has a decent commute (hopefully no more than 45 minutes) and ranges from $2200-$3000 for rent.

Any suggestions on places to look given the above information? We'd like to stay on Manhattan (don't think that is financially realizable, is it?) but are open to Brooklyn and Queens. I've been tentatively looking at East Village, UES, Park Slope, and Astoria but I'm using Craigslist and right now some of the listings don't seem as honest or straight forward as I'd like, but I am a first time apartment seeker so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Is Craigslist the best way to go about searching? Should we use a realtor or something?

Thanks!

Front_Porch
June 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
At that budget, listing brokers don't really want to share the pie with tenant brokers -- especially if you are going into Brooklyn and Queens.

You will be better off with craigslist, I think.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

jc277
June 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Can anyone recommend any areas of Queens or Brooklyn that two early-twenties newcomers would find themselves comfortable in? Again, our budget is about $2200-$3000 for rent. I've heard Astoria in Queens and Park Slope in Brooklyn are nice.. but there must be others!

gambit023
June 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
$2000-$3000 can get you a converted 1 bedroom in the city that's in a decent area.

However, if you're talking Astoria... ummm... it's just ok... i would rather pay a few bucks more and live in the city.

just my opinion