PDA

View Full Version : Moving to New York - finding apartment

KenNYC
June 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Ok, I need some advice from you people! As my nick might indicate (creativity is not my strongest side), I'll be moving to NYC this summer.

First of all, I will be working in Newark, but living in Jersey, well, that ain't gonna happen, so I'm looking at Manhattan. I got about $1m to $1.5m I can spend on an apartment, and was hoping to get a 2br but might settle for a good 1br - Am I being realistic?

Also, since I have to commute to Newark I need to be close-ish to either Penn Station or PATH station at WTC (the other PATH stations are not an option, I really don't want to be changing trains). Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen, Battery Park City, Financial District? Any pros and cons for the different areas?

Also, do I have to accept having cockroaches as my room-mates? ;) They really do disgust me..

The Benniest
June 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure about pricing and finding an apartment (shouldn't be a problem with your amount). However, I know that some people on the forum lives in BPC, Midtown West, and Hell's Kitchen and can give you some pros/cons about each.

-Ben

KenNYC
June 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I actually have one more question while I'm at it - I have contacted CityRealty.com and they have arranged contact for me with a broker at "The Real Estate Group New York" to act as a buyer's agent for me - are these two reputable, serious businesses or people I should stay away from?

Any other good suggestions on where to get hold of a reliable buyer's agent?

Front_Porch
June 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
TREGNY is a member firm of the Real Estate Board of New York, which is our trade association. Of course I'm a member, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I think membership makes a firm reputable.

My guess is that they paid to get your contact, so they will want to recoup their investment by putting you into an apartment and getting a fee. The best way to do that is for you to talk broadly about what you want and what your budget is, then for the agent to show you some specific properties online or in person, and then for you to talk specifically about what you want and what your budget is.

The ideal conversation goes something like this:

YOU: Sports car. Red.

AGENT: Here's a red Porsche, it's what you said you wanted, but it's really expensive. Here's a blue Porsche, here's a red Mustang, they're both close. Here's a red Subaru, maybe not so sporty, but it has these great features. Here's a red Corvette that's sporty and within your budget because it's old. Do you like any of these? What do you dislike?

You: I'd like to test drive the red Corvette and the red Subaru.

Agent: I'll make appointments for you to do that. Also, I just found a mini Cooper, would you want that?

So what you're essentially doing is looping around from the general to the specific. Rentals require a little bit of finesse because you usually have to do that really quickly, but on the other hand, the pain ends quickly!

Good luck!

ali r.
{downtown broker}

KenNYC
June 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for answers, I also sent you a PM with some more specific info if you don't mind, Ms. Porch ;) I assume being a foreign buyer will complicate things a bit.