PDA

View Full Version : Financial district vesus upper east side

NYjetsfan
June 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I just graduated college and am moving into the city with a friend this month (hopefully). We both of jobs lined up and have a budget that can go up to $3,000 per month. We have been looking at places for about a week, but are having trouble finding decent size bedrooms, etc. We looked around 3rd ave so far (24th street up to high 30's).

My friend wants to move to the financial district because he said you get more for the money. But I am afraid it will be dead at night and therefore dangerous when coming back late at night from bars. Also, will I realistically be able to bring girls back to a place so far south?? I here the words financial district and I think boring....I feel like girls will have the same thought.

I would rather move to the upper east side because there is more life. I will feel safer, and have more fun. Will it be harder to find a nice place there?

What do you guys think is the better option? We are 22 years old btw.

Front_Porch
June 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I would rather live in the Financial District, but I have lived in NYC for 20 years. If I were first coming to the city, I would pick the Upper East Side.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

pianoman11686
June 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Financial District's not dangerous at all. Lots of young professionals moving there these days.

antinimby
June 13th, 2008, 03:11 AM
The Financial District is as dangerous as Disney Land. Danger is not a factor in either neighborhood you are considering.

stache
June 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
There are attractive young ladies in every neighborhood of NYC. If they like you they will come all the way downtown. Prowl SoHo.

nycla3
June 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Just moved away from the Financial District after 5 years...double check your window thickness, street construction in immediate neighborhood, ambient noise from further away being carried by canyon-like acoustics, etc. Good value to be had for sure, but don't be seduced by thinking it is quiet. Really do your homework on what you find. Services still suspect, but transportation to other neighborhoods generally good except for weekend subway service changes which can make for chaotic trip.

Will be great place to live in about 3-5 years.

kliq6
June 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
First apartment in Manhatan was on the UES and its a great area for the young, single worker for sure with good bars, resturants and lounges.

Both areas are safe and if your good enough woman should go with you no matter where you live so that should not be a factor.

NoyokA
June 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
The best deal strictly money wise is in the Upper East Side. Life wise, there is no comparrison, the Upper East Side again.

philvia
June 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
anyone else find it funny that one of his worries in finding an apartment is if girls will find it attractive?

NYC4Life
June 14th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Why not give Battery Park City a try. Right there next to the financial center and not far from Tribeca, Soho, Greenwhich Village...etc

stache
June 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
anyone else find it funny that one of his worries in finding an apartment is if girls will find it attractive?

When I was at his tender age one of my big housing concerns was always the 'ease of dragging them home' quotient. ;)

nycla3
June 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Jets fan...'nuff said.

NoyokA
June 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Girls don't care where a guy live. If they do they're not the kind of girls I'm looking for anyway.

NYjetsfan
June 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Obviously if it's a girl I'm seriously dating it wouldn't make a difference, but I was really just talking about one night stands and stuff. I am not ready to give up the college lifestyle.

By the way I decided on Stuy Town, what do you guys think about that area?

NYjetsfan
June 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Jets fan...'nuff said.

What the hell's wrong with the jets?? Giants fans didn't even care about their season until the miracle playoff run.

MrSpice
June 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Why not give a try to such trendy Brooklyn areas as Park Slope, Carroll Gardens or Williamsburg? You get much more for your money and those neighborhoods are very happening full of young people, bars, restaurant, cafes, etc. I live on UES. It's a nice area, but it's very expensive. I mean, everything here is more expensive than in Brooklyn - food, laundry, etc.

Encideyamind
June 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
^I'm considering BK as my next nest.

Obviously if it's a girl I'm seriously dating it wouldn't make a difference, but I was really just talking about one night stands and stuff. I am not ready to give up the college lifestyle.

By the way I decided on Stuy Town, what do you guys think about that area?

Females down for the twelve-hour relationship really don't care where you live.

stache
June 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
They might give pause to consider how they will get back home.

pianoman11686
June 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Lol!

Alonzo-ny
June 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM
If you live in a crap area obviously they will weigh up pros and cons of if you are worth it.

KenNYC
June 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
If you live in a crap area obviously they will weigh up pros and cons of if you are worth it.

If she's not more picky about who she sleeps with, I doubt she's going to be that picky about what part of Manhattan it's done in. Indoors on something soft would probably be qualified.

Alonzo-ny
June 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Im talking about if you want to take her back to Flatbush or East New York.

BRT
June 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
If you're looking for value and continuing a college lifestyle, UES east of Lex/3rd wins hands down. Very large concentration of fresh-out-of-college folks in that area and a greater concentration of the bars they hang out at.