PDA

View Full Version : working just north of JFK, where to live? commute?

diddiyo
June 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi all :)

I might be transferred from our office in Miami, FL to our office in South Jamaica (right around Rockaway Blvd/Baisley Blvd north of JFK) in a few weeks. Now, as far as I know that area is not the best, but I would only go there for work.

I'm a single white guy in my mid 20's. Been living in Miami for about two years now. Before I moved here I used to live in one of Europe's biggest cities for four years.

Can't say a lot about the salary yet. Down here in MIA I live with roommates ($575 + utilities for my own bed/bathroom in a 3/3) and don't spend a lot of money on clothes and other fancy stuff anyway, but of course I like to go out and have a few beers at a pub or watch a game every now and then. Coming from Miami, I know a beer can easily cost $10 at a club etc so I hope NY won't be too big of a surprise...

In case I will be transferred I'd definitely want to live with roommates. I'd like to be able to use public transportation to go to work and live in an area with maybe a few nice pubs and people of my age :) I miss riding the subway in Europe, so I'd like to be able to just hop on a train and go places ;) I've heard about Astoria, Brooklyn Heights and Greenpoint. Are those areas worth considering in my case?

Now I've checked the MTA-page, but I'm not sure about what a reasonable commute would look like and what lines exactly would make sense for me.

Feel free to post any ideas you might have, they're greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

antinimby
June 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I think you already have some good ideas as far as neigborhood goes.

In addition to the places you've already mentioned, you might also want to look at Williamsburg, Long Island City, Woodside, Forest Hills.

Working at JFK, the AirTrain will connect you to the subways at either the Howard Beach or Jamaica stations. The neighborhoods I mentioned all have subways that go to those stations.

Do realize however that rents won't be anywhere as cheap as MIA, even with roommates.

antinimby
June 27th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Oops, I seem to have misread the part where you said you will be working near JFK, not within it.

In that case, forget everything I said about the AirTrain. :o

How do you plan on getting to your workplace? There doesn't seem to be subways near Rockaway/Baisley Blvds.

MrSpice
June 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
You can also consider towns in Long Island near JFK airport (it's right next to the line separating Queens county in New York City and Nassau County in Long Island. If you prefer city life, then definitely consider neighborhoods in Queens, as Brooklyn may be a bit further in terms of commute.

You can use this site to plan your commute:
http://www.hopstop.com

pianoman11686
June 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Astoria in Queens, and Williamsburg in Brooklyn, seem to be where it's at right now. Good transit, and good social life, from what I've heard. Greenpoint is still on its way up, and might be more affordable than those two. Brooklyn Heights will be the least affordable option of all those, by far.

If you can pinpoint exactly where you'll be working on this map (http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm), that'll probably make finding a neighborhood easier. :)

Front_Porch
June 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
You will probably need a car but I heartily recommend Long Beach, Long Island.

Very diverse community -- the beach attracts everybody -- safe, good restaurants and pubs.

A little crowded with tourists in the summer but heaven in spring and fall.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

diddiyo
June 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
First of all thanks to everybody!

If you can pinpoint exactly where you'll be working on this map (http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm), that'll probably make finding a neighborhood easier. :)
That's the problem, there isn't really anything right where I work. Like I said it's around Beasley Blvd and the Belt Parkway. I was told I could for example use the A train to Euclid Ave then transfer to Q7 which would drop me off at Rockaway & 150th. Another scenario I was shown is taking the J line to Jamaica Station and take the Q6 to the same drop-off location. (Just examples, depending on where I would live of course)
I was told that the total commute would be about an hour. I've tried hopstop but somehow it gives me the weirdest routes. :confused: I guess (I hope?) I would be OK commuting through South Jamaica although I hope it's not like Opa-Locka, Overtown or Liberty City down here in SoFla... wouldn't wanna go there.

Do realize however that rents won't be anywhere as cheap as MIA, even with roommates.
Even for MIA standards my rent is pretty low ;)

You will probably need a car but I heartily recommend Long Beach, Long Island.
Yes, I will be bringing my car, but public transportation is definitely my first choice :) I've looked into Long Beach, it seems to be a little isolated, maybe I'm wrong?! :)

Thanks a lot to all of you!