PDA

View Full Version : Apartment in NYC

murphy1001
July 2nd, 2008, 04:37 AM
Hi all, I am moving from London to NYC for work for 9 months.
I am looking to pay approx $2000 USD per month for an apartment, ideally 2 bedrooms.
I realise this probably rules out Manhatten, what does anyone have any idea of any safe, good areas that could be possible, that have no more than 45-60 minute commute

Thanks!

KenNYC
July 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Well, the Jersey areas (probably excluding Hoboken and JC) should be possible, and the PATH train makes for a pretty decent commute, I'll be making the PATH commute myself, just the other way. From what I've seen there should be possible to find something in the outer borroughs too. Manhattan would not be an option at all from what I can tell - although others here are way more qualified than I am :)

Schadenfrau
July 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
You're missing the most important detail: where will you be working? It can take an hour to get from Point A to Point B within Manhattan itself.

meakin88
August 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
you could find a very nice one bed or studio for $2000 a month in Manhattan!

KenNYC
August 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
You won't find a very nice one bedroom on Manhattan for $2000 a month. You could however find a one bedroom on Manhattan for that.

meakin88
August 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
sorry thats how much im paying for my studio on Wall Street, with free gym, cinema room, lounge, door man, laundry in building and roof deck.

and its alot bigger than anything i could get in London for the same price

KenNYC
August 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
A studio isn't a one bedroom though. And yes, London is more expensive. Especially now with the USD having tanked as much as it has. Iirc London was just ranked the third most expensive city in the world following Moscow and Tokyo; and New York is actually further down on that list than most people would imagine. Again even more so at this time, due to exchange rates and stuff. Which is why many foreigners are buying up real estate in the city atm.

meakin88
August 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
omg i didnt know that Moscow was very expensive

yeah but now its a one bed room, had a wall built they came and did it in about 3 hours and it only cost $800, the big plus is when i move out, the people who put it up come back and take it down free! and ive still got lots of room!

KenNYC
August 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Good thinking, man :)

nicksinif
September 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
i agree. jersey city is the best bet. it is only 10 minutes from the city.

meakin88
September 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i was at a 1400sqf studio in Park Slope in Brooklyn, he paid $2100 a month!

Schadenfrau
September 10th, 2008, 12:54 AM
A 1,400 square foot studio?

KenNYC
September 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Converted loft or something I guess... having a 1400sqf apartment and keeping it as a studio sounds ridiculous though, you could easily make that into a decent 2 bedroom, or even a crammed 3 bedroom.

scumonkey
September 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
keeping it as a studio sounds ridiculous thoughI have a 1600 sq ft loft/studio - no partition walls,13 foot ceiling- one big open space, and there's nothing ridiculous about it ;)
Being an artist, it's exactly what i need!

KenNYC
September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Oh for sure, it sounds awesome, speaking strictly from a monetary point of view, that such an area could get more money being divided up. I'm confident it makes for great living :)

Actually, got any pictures of it anywhere public? Would be nice to see

scumonkey
September 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Sorry- nothing public for me but....
It's in the same building that the # 1 lap dance sex club that recently got busted was in, you might find pics of that ;):D

KenNYC
September 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Oh yeah I've been, ehm, uhm, I've seen those! :D