PDA

View Full Version : where to live?? SUGGESTION NEEDED

J@cky
July 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
hi there, i will go to NYC and stay there for years. and im really CONFUSED:confused: by the housing problem. i will enroll in CCNY and have a $1500 schorlarship per month. never been in NYC before, so i dont know what kind of apartment should i rent, i mean the location and the monthly rent.... i wanna make balance between the rent, community environment and the transportation to my Univ.
thx very much if any body can give me some suggestions =)
waiting online

KenNYC
July 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm obviously not very familiar with NYC myself, but what I'd recommend would be to sign up to Facebook if you're not already there, join a CCNY group or network and see if anyone there is looking for room-mates, there would typically be quite a few of those at this time of the year.

BrooklynRider
July 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Your best bet would be to find a roommate. Given your budget, I think that you'd find the best neighborhoods to be Astoria - Queens, Bushwick - Brooklyn, Sunset Park - Brooklyn, East Harlem - Manhattan

There are always great deals to be found - if you are committed to the hunt.

Your school might have a program or department that could help you. Check out student services or notices on the school bulletin boards. Certainly, the Facebook suggestion is a good one.

Always pay your rent by check.

J@cky
July 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'm obviously not very familiar with NYC myself, but what I'd recommend would be to sign up to Facebook if you're not already there, join a CCNY group or network and see if anyone there is looking for room-mates, there would typically be quite a few of those at this time of the year.

thx:) i've signed up

J@cky
July 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Your best bet would be to find a roommate. Given your budget, I think that you'd find the best neighborhoods to be Astoria - Queens, Bushwick - Brooklyn, Sunset Park - Brooklyn, East Harlem - Manhattan

There are always great deals to be found - if you are committed to the hunt.

Your school might have a program or department that could help you. Check out student services or notices on the school bulletin boards. Certainly, the Facebook suggestion is a good one.

Always pay your rent by check.

thx for the suggestion. i will try the harlem. dont wanna live too far away from my college:)

antinimby
July 12th, 2008, 02:11 AM
You can also give Washington Heights a try, as that is very close to your school. It's the neighborhood just to the north of Harlem.

heygirliewhatup
October 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just live right near campus. That area is relatively affordable and safe. Being able to walk to class would be ideal.