PDA

View Full Version : Journalism Work Experience and moving to NY

jonnyboy1
July 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey im a 22 year old journalism student from england and as a part of my course i am required to complete a months work experience (internship) at a foreign media outlet. I have some family in NYC so it would be perfect to do it here as i love the city and one day want to move here.

Does anyone have info on whether this is possible? I contacted MTV but they said i have to be enrolled on a course in the US.

Also, for me to move to NYC with my girlfriend - could i use my dua nationality (cyprus and UK) to any sort of advantage.

TIA x :)

Schadenfrau
July 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Most companies will require that you're a currently enrolled US student, and most internships require a much longer commitment than one month. I'd suggest contacting very small local papers, but even that is going to be a stretch.

KenNYC
July 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM
If your university has some sort of exchange program that would mean you were registered as a student in the US it would be easily doable. If you would have to be registered as 'working' it gets a whole lot more complicated. Contact your exchange program counselor, they should know how to make this work.

And no, unless your dual nationality is US it won't do you any good. There is a large difference in how difficult it is to get visas depending on what country you come from though, you'd probably have a much easier time going as a Brit than you would as a Cypriot.

jonnyboy1
September 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I will be in NYC next week. Is it worth arranging an interview with any companies or am i flogging a dead horse?

Schadenfrau
September 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Have you looked into smaller media outlets (aka neighborhood papers)? As I stated before, most places won't hire an intern for only a month- you'd need to work for a semester and have school approval.

KenNYC
September 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I will be in NYC next week. Is it worth arranging an interview with any companies or am i flogging a dead horse?

It's my opinion that it never hurts to try, worst case scenario is that you get a no, which pretty much leaves you at the same place you were before trying.