PDA

View Full Version : Detroit to NYC

brunnette10
July 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hello All,

I am a female in my early 20's looking to move to NYC early next year. I am planning to move out with a friend and am still in college. I have tons of high-end retail experience and I am pursuing a career in marketing. I have done my homework about place to live and I dont mind parts of broolyn or queens. If I do move it will be with a job in retail. How much can a full time sales associate expect to make a year, for example working for saks, barneys or tiffany?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for work outside of the retail field?

All answers are greatly appreciated.:)

antinimby
July 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM
You're only in your early 20's, how could you possibly have "tons of. . .experience?"

I see you're also aiming very high with "Saks, Barney's and Tiffany's." While there's nothing wrong with aiming high but you should also be a little more realistic.

I would think those stores would be very difficult to crack into.

NYC4Life
July 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM
As Antinimby said, you're still in your early 20's and in college, hard to see how you already have a ton of experience. Regardless however; full time sales associates can typically earn between $8-$10 an hour. I once worked as an associate at Toy's R Us Times Square and made $8.50 and hour and finished at $9.

brunnette10
July 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well I have been and am employed with very good companies, it does not take an insane amount of years for one to have good knowledge of high end retail. Although there are new things to learn everyday. Thank you for the reply about the Toy's R Us gig but I make twice as much now. This is why I specifically said high-end....I know that for the most part their starting pay will be higher or they are on commission. I am working on getting into a few store I have in mind here and getting transferred.

Thanks!

nyc_obsessed
July 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Brunnette10!! I am in a similiar situation as you, moving from Detroit area, with a lot of retail experience looking for a job out in NYC, I am actually going to the city Aug. 15-24 to apply for jobs and look at different neighborhoods outside Manhattan, wish you the best of luck!!!
Jen:D

antinimby
July 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Maybe you two can get together and shack up, you know as roommates. (Matchmaking is fun :))

brunnette10
July 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Good Luck NYC Obsessed.!...I will be doing the same later in the fall.

Antinimby-thanks for the suggestion...lol! But I'm moving out with a friend!:)

antinimby
July 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM
What's wrong with three?

Ninjahedge
July 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM
What's wrong with three?

I think NBC is already writing that one AN... :rolleyes:

Good luck ladies (you will need it), let us know how it all works out!

kliq6
July 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
will the last one out please turn off the lights in Detroit!

brunnette10
July 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
antinimby....LOL!:p

Ninjahedge...I wll let you know how it turns out. I went to interview at the barney's Co/Op here in Detroit and was "kindly" told by the manager that Barney's does not like to work with full-timers in school....lol. I was a little shocked when I heard that but I guess it's their right. I will be hearing from the manager for a definate answer soon.

The lights of Detroit have been off for a while....LOL!;)

nyc_obsessed
July 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
antinimby....LOL!:p

Ninjahedge...I wll let you know how it turns out. I went to interview at the barney's Co/Op here in Detroit and was "kindly" told by the manager that Barney's does not like to work with full-timers in school....lol. I was a little shocked when I heard that but I guess it's their right. I will be hearing from the manager for a definate answer soon.

The lights of Detroit have been off for a while....LOL!;)

HaHa...So true, it's been very dark here in D-town.

meakin88
August 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
As Antinimby said, you're still in your early 20's and in college, hard to see how you already have a ton of experience. Regardless however; full time sales associates can typically earn between $8-$10 an hour. I once worked as an associate at Toy's R Us Times Square and made $8.50 and hour and finished at $9.

i know people at bloomingdales who are on $20 an hour!

Schadenfrau
August 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I imagine those people have very particular knowledge or have been there for years, though- you definitely don't start at $20/hour working at Bloomingdale's.

MidtownGuy
August 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yes, and I also think salespeople in many departments rely on commission for their real money, the hourly rate is quite low.

joe25
August 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Retail is fun, here in gamestop we compete on selling Game Informer subscriptions and game reserves. Its like an art, convincing the customer that 15 dollars on a yearly magazine will benefit in the long run.

expose05
August 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Actually this thread should be called Troy michigan to nyc, If you lived in detroit not metro detroit, which is TOTALLY different. Really i should know but this off topic but whatever.

brunnette10
August 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
That is true about department store, sales people have to rely on commission to make a good pay. If there is good traffic through the store then $20 per hour should not be so hard to come by, again all depending on the department and the percentage rate of the commission given.

LOL Yes I guess it could be titled "Troy to NYC" I am from the suburbs after all.:)

brunnette10
August 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Just an update on the job hunting situation, yesterday was my first day at Barney's CO/OP:):). Hopefully everything else will fall into place now, with a lot of hard work and staying focused of course.