PDA

View Full Version : "Residential" hotels?

718Bound
July 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
After doing some searching I found something that seemed right up my alley The Hotel Chelsea (http://www.hotelchelsea.com/) that offered rooms (with a shared bathroom) for $1,000 a month. I know that this would not appeal to everyone... ..but for me it sounded right up my alley... Sure I know there are things you must deal with in this situation that you wold not have to deal with renting a room in a private apartment. However, it seems to resolve a lot of problems of moving to New York for me. No credit check, no income requirements (I will be a student) not having to come with security, just the first months rent to move in...

Living in Chelsea for $1,000 a month are you kidding me? I thought it was too good to be true to exist... I did some searching and found a blog for the hotel maintained by one of the resident... Apparently, it did exist, but only if you live there... No new residents! http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif There is new management and a new majority share holder that wants the residents gone and only wants tourists...

Then I found the Morningside Inn (http://www.morningsideinn-ny.com/) for $875-$950 (actually told today 900-1700) but I called today to inquire and was told they are all full and could not accept any monthly reservations to Jan '09. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif I've done some searching, found a few that I will call tomorrow, but it seems like a majority of the time I will find one, do a google search only to find an article on them trying to evict tenets or a mega corporation has bought them and plans on turning it into a 5 star hotel...

Does anyone know of any still left? As I said I will be a student and can only really afford $1,000 a month... Yea I know, I know, I know... I could rent a room "easily" for that amount easily in another borough, that was actually my plan, but if I can find a residential hotel in my budget that is ACTUALLY taking people I'd to live in one maybe for a year. I would do this for two reasons to move into some place rather easily and simply for the experience.

The Benniest
July 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I guess I never thought about renting out a hotel room and living there.

Like you, I would share a bathroom with just about anyone in order to live in New York City. :rolleyes:

718Bound
July 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Is this something you are interested in Ben? I have never thought about it, I didn't really know you could especially for such a price...

I wish I had known about the Chelsea Hotel about a year ago or even a couple of months ago before they stopped accepting long term rentals... It's a shame, hopefully they get rid of the new management. It's part of the history of the Hotel Chelsea to have transients coming from all over taking up residence. Now to take that away because the new majority owner does not care about residents, and wants to try to convert the place into a $200 a nightly hotel seems kinda wrong... Oh well, I guess times change... it's funny, when I called this afternoon I was put on hold and the song/message being played was bragging that the Chelsea is proud that it was the home of many historic poets, writers musicians blah blah when they first moved to ny... I guess not anymore...

If you are interested, I will pass on any good ones I find...

The Benniest
July 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Well...at the moment I'm currently enrolled in a community college in Iowa, so the move to New York has been put "on hold" for ~ 1 years. Then I will attempt to transfer to a art/theater school and begin my life there. :)

However, if you do find any good ones, please lemme know.

Thanks!
Ben

..and it is sad about the Chelsea Hotel. I agree with this:

Living in Chelsea for $1,000 a month are you kidding me? I thought it was too good to be true to exist...

stache
July 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Single room occupancy/ residential hotel living is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. For your price you would do better to share an apt.

BWilliams
July 30th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Last Year Someone Told Me About A Building (Chelsea Rental) That Had Tenants Paying 3000-12000/Monthly. But In That Same Building, They Also Had Tenants Paying 600-1200/Monthly, It Was Something Like 20% Low Income Apts, And The Rest Was Market Value. I Think Its Called Affordable Housing Or Low Income Apts, Don't Remember But Look Into It If Your Interested.

stache
July 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
That housing is not for students, unless they're living with a low income parent or guardian.

KenNYC
July 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I have lived in a hotel for 6 months and absolutely hated it. The service was crap, the place very clearly showed that it wasn't really something the owners put effort into, just the bare minimums etc. If you need temp place to stay it would work, but I wouldn't recommend going for most of these on a more permanent basis.

The Benniest
July 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
^^ May I ask where you were staying at so I can make a mental note. :p

718Bound
July 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM
If you need temp place to stay it would work, but I wouldn't recommend going for most of these on a more permanent basis.

Do you know of any of these I could use on a temp basis (I'm not having much luck)? I think it would really help with the transition, not trying to find a room while I'm upstate, meeting with people who are renting out a room who are interviewing people until they find the right fit, not being able just to meet with someone for a drink after I call to see if we are a good fit to be roommates, or to go see the place in a timely fashion (I live over 4 hours away). Nobody wanting to rent to me without a job because when I move I will be moving without a job. Etc etc etc... Just seems like it would ease some of the stress for me.
My other options are to stay at a YMCA for a couple weeks :( or stay in an apartment I rented a room in about a year ago (if the owner has space) taking chances on who my roommates may be (this is just a 4 bedroom apartment the owner (who does not live there) rents out the rooms for a weekly rate) that apartment is an hour commute each way from my school (BMCC)...

Sorry don't mean to come off as whining here, just the end of August is coming fast, and I'm getting a little nervous. :D Just like having all the options I can...

stache
July 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
What about staying in a hotel in Queens or NJ?

The Benniest
July 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Brooklyn? Do hotels in Brooklyn do the rental rooms?

718Bound
August 1st, 2008, 10:52 AM
What about staying in a hotel in Queens or NJ?

Absolutely, do you have anything in mind?

KenNYC
August 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
^^ May I ask where you were staying at so I can make a mental note. :p

It was in Toronto so not really relevant here, just anecdotal evidence that they suck ;)

stache
August 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
718, nothing particular in mind but check expedia. Queens and Jersey hotels are cheaper than Manhattan.

718Bound
August 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks. I'll probably just "rough it" at a Y for 3-4 weeks... Let you guys know (especially Ben, he might find it useful in the future) if I find what I am looking for.