PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Internet Explorer Error Message

BrooklynRider
August 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
This evening I just started encountering the following error message when I visit certain websites

"Internet Explorer cannot open Internet site http://xxx.xxx.xxx. Operation Aborted"

Two specific sites it has happened with are Rawstory.com and MyDD.com.

I have a computer that is perhps 60 days old running Windows Vista and IE7. It's very frustrating to see a website load and appear and then get that error.

Scouring around on Google I found that the error is not entirely uncommon. However, the solutions being offered and explained are beyond my technical understanding. :confused:

Has anyone else encountered this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

scumonkey
August 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
try switching to firefox :D

BrooklynRider
August 2nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm there. IE has sucked for a long time, but this switch is permanent. I'm over Microsoft.

stache
August 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
I had a lot of problems with my puter last month. There are some new viruses out that are extremely bad. Try doing a Windows update.

NYC4Life
August 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Looks like you need updated anti-virus with all updated virus definitions. As for IE7, it's days are over and Windows Vista only adds to the Microsoft frustration.

stache
August 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I got a new Vista puter in June and I managed to run it into the ground in a week. I had it repaired but I'm still using the old XP one.

ZippyTheChimp
August 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
A note on Firefox 3.0 vs earlier versions:

When allowing webpages and downloads, Firefox 3.0 uses the same security settings that are chosen in IE7.

It doesn't matter if IE7 is active or not. So if security is set too high and certain pages are blocked, you have to lower the settings on IE7, not F3.

Although there is no program-running connection between the 2 browsers (F3 just reads the settings), some Firefox purists are displeased - it might indicate that the nimble upstart is becoming more like the evil bigshot.

lofter1
August 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
When I got on my PC this AM I found those error messages at a few sites where I normally open without problem.

I did nothing & made no adjustments -- simply went to sites that didn't give me any trouble. Who needs that in the morning :confused: :cool:

Within a couple of hours the situation had "self corrected" and all of the sites which prevkously greeted me with an "error" are now accessible.

Ain't technology grand & mysterious :cool:

BrooklynRider
August 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I've abandoned IE for greener pastures. Problem solved for now.

Ninjahedge
August 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I have had the same problem with one site I was going to for speakers. Happened both at work and at home....

http://www.signalpathint.com

The home page would pup up but anything else I clicked would put me in a loop that would say it could not connect. I would have to use the "back" menu (when you see several pages back, not just the back arrow) to get back to the home page.

I have heard people say it is IE being picky, but I have not tried FF yet.

Stupid crap.

stache
August 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
FF is better. It's open source so it is less flawed than IE.

KenNYC
August 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I like FF a lot and with the new version 3.x the ridiculous memory leaks are gone too, which as far as I could tell was the only argument against using FF earlier.

NYC4Life
August 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Firefox is great, faster and more stable than IE, but I wouldn't use it for social networking sites lke Myspace, or Facebook.