PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Service Can Should I Expect From A Broker?

bookhouse boy
August 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
What kind of service should I expect from a broker for a rental apartment?

If the broker simply shows me an apartment but due to incompetence doesn't competently fill out
the paperwork, fax, deliver, e-mail or scan the paperwork as required...are they legally deserving of a full commission?

I ended up having to fill out all of the extensive paperwork (it is a rental within a co-op building), do all of the emailing, scanning, faxing, and fedexing for an apartment because my broker, due to lack of a reliable fax machine and computer/english illiteracy, was unable to accomplish these tasks. I have moved in to the apartment and the broker gave me a set of the keys after we agreed to a reduced fee.

Is the broker deserving of a full commission? I signed no contract with the broker at the beginning of this whole process and I believe that the broker may now break our reduced-fee agreement and try to file suit
for the remaining balance. It is a small family-run business and for the most part I was dealing with a person who is not a licensed broker. One of her co-workers is a licensed broker, but we never dealt with that person.

stache
August 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Did you get the reduced fee in writing, or did you possibly give the broker a check and write 'reduced fee' on it?

bookhouse boy
August 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
The broker accepted a check from me which I had written 'final payment for apt xxx' under the notes section on the check. The broker also xeroxed the check for me for my records and gave me the keys. The broker has not yet cashed the check, if that makes any difference...

Did you get the reduced fee in writing, or did you possibly give the broker a check and write 'reduced fee' on it?

stache
August 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think you're going to be ok.