PDA

View Full Version : jobs in new york?

tsengko
August 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
hi everyone, im from california and im planning to transfer to the new school of design parson in new york. but i know nothing about the city. and i was wondering does anyone know what kind of jobs are popular in new york? im kinda into game design or animation. should i study there? or maybe i should go to hollywood instead? i really want to go to new york because california bores me. so yeah anyone know?! :) sorry for my poor english.

shocka
August 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
go into parsons office and ask for internal jobs. I have few friends that go to parsons and work there as well.

lise
August 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM
i second the parsons recommendation. parsons is part of the new school. here's their link, they're a great new york college (http://www.newschool.edu/)

stache
August 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM
They have a very good reputation. Go to school there, and if you decide you don't like NY, you can always work in Calif. :)

brianac
August 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks stache.

I thought we were going to get a complete thread without one CAPITAL letter.

shocka
September 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks stache.

I thought we were going to get a complete thread without one CAPITAL letter.

Attention to detail my friend.. there was 1 capital letter in my post.

STT757
September 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
hi everyone, im from california and im planning to transfer to the new school of design parson in new york. but i know nothing about the city. and i was wondering does anyone know what kind of jobs are popular in new york? im kinda into game design or animation. should i study there? or maybe i should go to hollywood instead? i really want to go to new york because california bores me. so yeah anyone know?! :) sorry for my poor english.

For game designs and animation you want to be in the Bay Area, Mountain View etc.. EA Sports is in RedWood City, CA. South of San Francisco. I would check schools out there.

I understand your a little bored with California, I'm bored living in New York and New Jersey my whole life. The problem is coming this far unless you have something specific to accomplish here, video game design and animation has no presence in the Northeastern US. You go to the Bay Area for that kind of stuff, you come to New York to work in Finance, Marketing, Fashion, entertainment etc..

My Mom retired about four-five years ago as a New York City High School Principal, she worked in a small alternative school. The City sent her all these Teach for America and USA TEachers, and NYC TEaching fellows to work in her school. A large group of them were from California, they wanted to come to "the big city" and live the lifestyle etc.. They all shared apartments and worked at my Mom's school, I met several of them and from my experience with them and my Mom's observations they were outstanding.

However they could not "make it" in the City, and after about three years they all went back to California to get jobs outside of teaching.