View Full Version : So confused!!

August 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hey Guys

My name is Rachel and I am 22 years old, currently living in the UK. I want to come over to NY some time around July next year or a years working visa and I have no idea how to obtain one! Websites are so confusing and contradict themselves. If there is anybody on the site who has been through the same thing, I would really appreciate some advice! I know that H-1B forms are really hard to get at the moment, and to be honest I'm not even sure if this is the kind that I need! I also don't want to come on a Visa Waiver programme as you can only stay for 90 and not work or study while you are in NY.

I have saved up about 5,000 which is $9,100 and I am hoping this will be enough to cover me for a few months while I get myself sorted. I am hoping to rent a room in an apartment in Morningside/Harlem or Inwood to try and keep the costs down. At present I have no job lined up as not many employers will take you seriously if you aren't in the US.

If someone could hit me back and give some info you would be saving me life!!

Thanks so much :)


August 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Need more info. What industry are you in? Do you have a degree or professional qualifications? Check the US Embassy website they have a list of all the visas and what you need to obtain them.

August 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice on the Embassy website, I will have a look at it. I work as a receptionist at a college and as far as qualifications go I went to college and have 4 A levels. I don't know if this means much to you but I don't have a degree or anything, so I guess my chances look pretty slim! I'm not looking to make a permanent move, just for a year or 6 months so I can see a bit of the world!

August 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Lets trade countries, :) no but seriously, I wanna visit UK someday. Not live, because I wouldn't blend in well, just visit.

August 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Any reason why you want to visit the UK? The only places that I would recommend are London and Scotland. The rest is just like any other place in the world! Scotland has some of the most beautiful lochs and secenary in the whole world, I would really suggest you take a trip o Loch Ness or Inverness.

Oh and if I could trade nataionality with someone I so would! I may marry an American just to get in - only kidding!:p

August 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
To get an H1-B which you mentioned you need at least a Bachelors degree. To work for a short period of time check out BUNAC or CIEE, these organisations work on the J-1 visa but generally speaking that concerns people at university. However you may find you qualify for one of teh programs with any qualification you gained at college.

August 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Castles and lochs, after finishing a hard class on British lit last year made me want to go visit.

Edit: yes and inverness omg, I seriously need to go there before I die, its on my list for sure.

August 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Alonzo-NY. I will have a look on the websites and see what I can find. I appreciate the help.


August 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Joe25, you will love it. It's amazing. Loch Ness is beautiful as well, just don't count on seeing Nessie lol