PDA

View Full Version : NYC 125th Street North on West Side near 1 Train is it safe? Is it a nice area?

thiagos
September 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hello,

I am pretty much being forced to move to New York because of my job, although I love New York, I cannot afford to live there on a $50,000/year pay.

I have some other income from my online business but it is non-verifiable since I do not have any W2's.

I know it is a bit much to ask for the fact that I want to live in Manhattan and stay around the Upper West or East side but I have heard horrible stories about anywhere else. Although some people say that there are some nice areas in Brooklyn, some other people say that they have seen people getting their throats slid.

To make it even worse I got 3 dogs which I refuse to part from. My question is, will I have a hard time finding a place in NYC?

I was told about 125th Street North on the West Side close to the 1 train, is that a safe and nice area?
How about Soho is it safe and affordable?

It's been tough finding a place there that won't require a guarantor.

Thanks in advance

stache
September 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Live under a bridge with the rest of the trolls.

thiagos
September 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Live under a bridge with the rest of the trolls.

Wow, that truly shows how mature you are. If you can't help, please don't answer.

Thank you.

NYC4Life
September 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
The area around 125th Street has changed dramatically over the years, but You should try looking just further south in the neighborhood of Morningside Heights (below 125th street). As for Soho, it is generally safe, but expect to pay more.

scumonkey
September 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
but expect to pay more.
A lot more ;)

NYC4Life
September 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
At least Soho has the convenience of an Apple Store. :D

adchick82
September 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
3 dogs? What size? That's definitely not going to make your search easy... we had to get special permission from the landlord to allow one dog in a one bedroom apartment.

lofter1
September 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I live in one of those so-called "nice" areas -- someone had their throat slid right outside our front door.

It was a mess. And the poor guy had to wear turtlenecks all summer.

Never saw the knife-in-the-throat problem when visiting friends in Brooklyn.

Amberlicious7583
September 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I live in one of those so-called "nice" areas -- someone had their throat slid right outside our front door.

It was a mess. And the poor guy had to wear turtlenecks all summer.

Never saw the knife-in-the-throat problem when visiting friends in Brooklyn.

Haha Nice!

What are some of the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn?

NYC4Life
September 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
^^^ Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Park Slope, Borough Park, Seagate (Just to name a few).