PDA

View Full Version : We don't like Ike

195Broadway
September 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Got the booze covered for this one. (Hurricanes, Margaritas, Martinis, Gin and tonics) As of now, The eye will pass 15 miles to the west of us.
....updates to follow until we lose power.

Steven

NYC4Life
September 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Have some love for Ike, for not getting any closer than 15 miles.

JCMAN320
September 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Good luck in Houston, you guys are just about getting a direct hit. Be careful!!

195Broadway
September 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The projected path goes right over my house. Seems like the trend will have us to the west of the eye if this keeps up.

stache
September 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Better West than East, for a hurricane.

195Broadway
September 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM
We now have a nice breeze here at IAH airport. It feels good after spending most of the night moving equipment into our hangars. Predicted wind speeds in my town are 74 mph. (down from the mid 90's yesterday) The eye is still shown passing over our house. It will be an amazing life experience if it does.

195Broadway
September 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Wind predictions back up to 81. I'm exhausted, having been awake for over 30 hrs now. ..Nap time.....

NYatKNIGHT
September 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Be safe! Looks like this one is going to cause widespread damage.

195Broadway
September 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks, NY.
Predicted sustained winds locally now at 88 MPH. We are now on the dirty side of the eye. Not much prep in my neighborhood.
I guess it is out of vogue to help yourself these days? Oh well. We are preped for the worst case.

Galveston is screwed. Good by to the Balinese. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balinese_Room

195Broadway
September 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Power went out for some unknown reason. It's back on now. winds here now predicted to be 83 MPH. There is enough wind here to make the trees sway. Nothing dangerous though.

Zephyr
September 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
... [W]inds here now predicted to be 83 MPH. There is enough wind here to make the trees sway. Nothing dangerous though.

That makes it a Category 1 on that Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. Predictions earlier were genuinely scary. After this knock down "... all's well, that ends well."

Whew!

antinimby
September 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
195, you should thinkin' about gettin' outta there.

lofter1
September 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hello, 195 ...

How ya doin'?

Check in when the power comes back on.

NYC4Life
September 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Ike is now a minimum Tropical Storm moving across Northeastern Texas and into Arkansas. Officials, so far, have counted 4 deaths from the storm in Texas.

lofter1
September 15th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Mods: This thread cannot be found via a Search; all the words in the title are too short.

Could these words be added:

Hurricane Texas Galveston (and possibly Houston)

Thanks.

lofter1
September 15th, 2008, 12:27 AM
After Surviving Storm, Fleeing
a Fetid, Devastated Galveston

NY TIMES
By IAN URBINA
September 15, 2008

GALVESTON, Tex. — For thousands of people stuck on an increasingly fetid Galveston Island, the aftermath of Hurricane Ike (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/h/hurricanes_and_tropical_storms/hurricane_ike/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) is proving to be far worse than the storm itself.

With no water or power, no working toilets, no food or phones, people faced growing public health concerns here on Sunday. More than 2,000 residents who had defied an evacuation order were taken off the island, and state officials tried to ensure that no one could return.

“The storm was easy,” said Brenda Shinette, 51, who rode out the hurricane in her home but went to a shelter Sunday hoping to be taken to the mainland. “It’s what came after that was terrible.”

“We have no showers, and the food is spoiled,” Ms. Shinette added. “I feel like I want to pass out, but I can’t tell if it is from too much heat or too little food.”

Across coastal areas of Texas, officials on Sunday mounted the largest rescue operation in the state’s history.

Five people were found dead in Galveston on Sunday, including one person in a submerged vehicle near the airport. Officials expressed fears that more would be found as other areas of flooding were searched, particularly on the west end of the island, where there was “horrendous” devastation, said the city manager, Steve LeBlanc.

“We had been taking rescue calls” from the west end, Mr. LeBlanc said at a news conference, “but we have lost all communication with them. We know there were people out there. What happened to them, I’m not sure.”

The authorities said that it might be a month before water and power were restored to some parts of the island and that the wastewater treatment plant was in bad shape. Only emergency personnel were being allowed onto the island, they said.

“We want our citizens to stay where they are,” said Galveston’s mayor, Lyda Ann Thomas. “Do not come back to Galveston. You cannot live here right now.”

Ms. Thomas added: “Galveston has been hit hard. We have no power. We have no gas. We have no communications. We’re not sure when any of that will be up and running.”

The air was becoming foul-smelling and was swarming with mosquitoes. Sewage was beginning to back up onto waterlogged streets. The lack of running water was becoming a health hazard; without the water, people could not flush toilets or properly wash their hands.

Small packs of stray dogs roamed the streets. Helicopters buzzed overhead on search and rescue missions. Debris from ruined buildings lined the broad boulevard along the Gulf of Mexico. A line of about 60 cars snaked around piles of wood, slabs of concrete and fallen awnings, their drivers waiting for the Coast Guard to give out food, water and tarps.

Along the road to the island’s flooded west end, longhorn steers grazed in the median strip near scattered recreational boats and a shiny late-model Corvette with water inside. Refrigerators and trash bins lay in the front yards of several homes, and some of the area’s most expensive houses were reduced to rubble. Forty buildings in all had collapsed.

In Jamaica Beach, west of Galveston, six houses were destroyed and most of the others damaged, said a police official, Steve Hubbell. He warned residents that snakes were slithering through debris and that nails in roadways were flattening tires.

As rain started again on Sunday, many people in Galveston reached their limit and headed to the shelter at Ball High School. The state sent dozens of buses to ferry residents to San Antonio.

“I will go anywhere but here,” Shannika Jones said as she stood at the shelter with her sons, both under age 2, in a line to board a bus. “My babies are getting sick.” Behind her were two rows of chairs filled with elderly people, some with open wounds.

“Next time they should warn people about this, not the storm itself,” Ms. Jones said.

Elizabeth Madson, 45, a property rental manager who has lived on the island for seven years, said she regretted her decision to stay during the storm.

“I thought we were going to need Noah’s ark,” she said. “It was horrific; I would not wish that on anybody.” She added, “Anymore, if they say a hurricane is on its way, I’m leaving two days before.”

Despite the fraying nerves, people remained civil. Officials said the police had received numerous calls about looting and had arrested seven people, all in minor cases. Residents on the streets appeared exhausted but were mostly polite to one another and to those here to help them.

Scores of state and federal emergency workers are here. Few, however, seem to have answers, and even fewer have the basics they need to do their jobs.

“Without water, electricity or fuel, we are pretty handicapped,” said one police officer, who asked not to be identified. “Things are calm with residents still, but I think before long that could change.”

The city had only four working ambulances; one became so overworked that it caught fire and was taken out of service. More ambulances were being sent in by the authorities.

“Problem is, we can’t treat cabin fever,” said Dave Smith, a paramedic who drove one of the remaining three ambulances and who was responding to many of the several hundred 911 calls coming in each day.

The most serious calls are from people suffering from seizures, chest pains or dehydration, Mr. Smith said, or from elderly people who are running low on medicines or who have fallen down and are trapped. But most of the calls are from people desperate to get to the hospital because they think it will have electricity, water and food, he said. Those callers have been disappointed to learn that the island’s main hospital, the University of Texas Medical Branch, is accepting only the most serious cases. Officials said the hospital would remain closed to general patients for two to four weeks.

As the floodwaters receded, they left an inch-thick layer of slippery sludge coating many roads. Water still stands in the bottom floors of most houses. A few hotels have diesel generators supplying electricity and are enveloped in exhaust fumes when the wind is calm.

Gov. Rick Perry urged those who had left Galveston not to try to return. Officials said the bridge leading to the island would remain closed for at least a week.

“The bridge isn’t the only way on here,” said the director of the island’s port, Steve Cernak, who spent much of the day finding an alternate port for the two Carnival cruise ships, each with more than 2,500 passengers, that had been due to arrive soon.

“Vacationers is not what we need right now on the island,” Mr. Cernak said. “What we need are personnel and some serious resources.”

Thayer Evans contributed reporting.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Ninjahedge
September 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
As horrible as it sounds, you would think that some of these people would have known that something like this was possible, especially after N.O. AND after being ordered out.

The one woman saying all her food spoiled? What the heck did she keep it in? Does she have a generator? A secure outhouse? Hell, even a bomb shelter! Provisions JIC you have no water/power/food.

And more than just a few days worth......

lofter1
September 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The hell of the after-effect is just beginning.

Similar scenarios are one thing that occasionally freak me out about living on the island of Manhattan. In a bad situation the distribution of essential goods would become a nightmare. And as for getting off the island in order to seek relief on one's own ... dunno 'bout that.

ZippyTheChimp
September 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Mods: This thread cannot be found via a Search; all the words in the title are too short.

Could these words be added:

Hurricane Texas Galveston (and possibly Houston)

Thanks.

Make use of the TAG feature at the bottom bar of the thread.

Click on TAGS, and a tag-cloud showing the most popular keywords will be displayed.

Click on EDIT TAGS, and you can create or add to the list of tags for the thread, which are listed below the bar. I created 'hurricane' and 'hurricane ike' - commas separate keywords and key-phrases.

SEARCH > TAG SEARCH. Enter a keyword in the Search by Tag box, and the threads will be listed.

stache
September 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
lofter I'm not sure if you remember but a few days after 9/11 I noticed the delis were running out of food. I remember seeing some very odd offerings at salad bars, but then I think they started trucking in food again right after that.

lofter1
September 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I was just happy that the Bowery Bar was open and didn't run out of booze -- which might be the reason for my cloudy memory :cool: regarding what might or might not have been available at the local MET -- yet I do remember that it was fairly well cleared out by sundown on 9/11 and for the next week we were all within the cordoned-off area (and essentials down this way were sparce).

stache
September 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yes I had heard it was even worse below 14th. St.

lofter1
September 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
And below Houston with the line up of gun-toting Guardsmen -- fuhgeddaboudit!

195Broadway
September 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'm at work writing this. We are ok. My area was pretty roughed up by the wind. Lots of downed trees. None hit our home. Many here are not so lucky. At this point, the loss of power is the greatest hardship. Gasoline is very hard to come by because there is no power to run the pumps. Thank God the weather is cooperating.... unlike the heat wave after hurricane Rita.
Steven

lofter1
September 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the update. Hang tight.

195Broadway
September 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
We got our power back about 6 hrs ago. Not sure when the internet came back to life. I just noticed it is working. It feels great to have air conditioning again! .....and electric lights too! :)

NYatKNIGHT
September 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Congrats! Wow, that took a while.

195Broadway
September 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
NY,
Many in my town still don't have power. We are very fortunate.

195Broadway
September 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Today, our cherubs enjoyed their first day back to school since the storm. Swarms of mosquitos now attack human flesh like hungry Pahranas. School kids are not allowed to go outside during recess. :( Many homes are still without power.

Ninjahedge
September 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Get the nets, and repellent out.....

TheFivePoints
September 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
And below Houston with the line up of gun-toting Guardsmen -- fuhgeddaboudit!

as a guardsman so you call us..... or as we were that day and the days to follow rescue workers working down there we ate at Nino's on Canal....it was a safe haven from the pit...but there was no booze for us and we didn't hit the pillow with a cloudy head that morning or weeks to follow.

be safe and god bless

195Broadway
September 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
FivePoints,
IMO, Seeing Guardsmen on scene is a great comfort in times of crisis. Thank you!
Steven

Ninjahedge
September 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Do guardsman need military waponry on the home front during a humanitarian relief effort though?

I know you are also there to keep the peace, but an M16 is not needed to help flood victims.

Is there anyone to talk to to tell them that heavy weapons should be left at the armory and that these guys should be packing first aid kits and water, not assault rifles?

195Broadway
September 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Quote by Ninja: "Do guardsman need military waponry on the home front during a humanitarian relief effort though?"

Ninja,
In a word, yes.
Having to compete for basic necessities in a crisis situation is scary. All sorts of things race through your mind (rational or not) when you see empty shelves at you local grocery store and your neighbor reports the same for the two others he went to. It devolves very quickly into a competition.

Steven

PS, I'll share a bit of wisdom with you that I learned from my dad: No country is more than one meal away from a revolution. Take some time to reflect on this. It is so basic that it is easy to dismiss.

Ninjahedge
September 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Quote by Ninja: "Do guardsman need military waponry on the home front during a humanitarian relief effort though?"

Ninja,
In a word, yes.
Having to compete for basic necessities in a crisis situation is scary. All sorts of things race through your mind (rational or not) when you see empty shelves at you local grocery store and your neighbor reports the same for the two others he went to. It devolves very quickly into a competition.

I am not saying remove their pistols or tear gas, but do youneed a military occupation?

I just think M-16's are overkill.

lofter1
September 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
The need for an M-16 really depends on what peace is being kept ...

If there are advancing hordes with guns, clubs and molotov cocktails then it's one thing.

If it's a gang in a truck loaded with fertilizer it's another (as if an M-16 would do much in that case).

If it's folks returning home to a barricaded neighborhood where the availbaility of goods is gone, stops are shuttered and where ID is required to cross the street then the M-16 is a good reminder to carry something that will ID you as a bona fide resident of the embargoed area. Such was the case after 9/11, when a friend and I saw a fellow who had crossed out of the neighborhood and apparently drank away the anxiety of the day only to get himself takcled when he didn't show ID and tried to cross Houston Street in order to get home. You can bet we didn't leave home without good solid ID after that.

Ninjahedge
September 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Did they shoot you?

Did they hit you with the M-16?

Would a pistol have frightened you just as much?

As was proven in Iraq, when a unit is geared out for combat, it is impared when it comes to humanitarian relief effort.

You don't use a tank to take people to the hospital (if you can avoid it by using something more appropriate).

I know there are reasons for doing this, but they just do not seem like the most efficient means and methods.