PDA

View Full Version : Apartment in Manhattan for $2,500-3000. Which neighborhood?

alexdf
September 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I am still puzzled. Moving to NYC in January and will (hopefully) make decent income there.

I can comfortably spend about $2,500/month on rent, and all I need is a decent 1br apartment. I can go up to $3K/mo if that increases my chances of finding an awesome place.

The question is: which area in Manhattan to look in?

I don't have kids, I work from home and, therefore, I will be spending a lot of time in the area I choose. Basically I'm looking for a neighborhood with *tons* of stuff accessible by foot from my apartment: restaurants, bars, cafes, book stores, groceries, etc. That's the main criteria. I hate driving.

I've been to NYC before, and I must say I am not sure I like Brooklyn and Queens (although I haven't been to downtown Brooklyn). I've been reading Wikipedia on various Manhattan parts and they're all sound the same from "good" to "great": UES, UWS, SOHO, Chelsea...

Would be great to hear what NYC residents have to say about these parts of Manhattan and possibly something else I've overlooked.

Thank you very much!
--
P.S. I did trying to search for answers, but the search feature here is very rudimentary... Not helpful at all.

stache
September 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Try the upper East Side.

Schadenfrau
September 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
What is it that you don't like about Brooklyn or Queens? They're large places, and I can't imagine you've seen that much of them yet.

ablarc
September 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Upper West Side.

Do this: walk up and Down West End Avenue between 106th and 72nd. Every time you see a doorman in a doorway, engage him in conversation. Ask him knowingly if any rent controlled apartments are coming vacant. Make it clear to him that you will pay him handsomely for the information if you get the apartment, and it won't do any harm if you offer him an immediate $20 bill just to get him friendly and co-operative. Give him your card and ask for his or his building's. Follow up; don't let it grow cold.

stache
September 22nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Great advice if it was thirty years ago.

Front_Porch
September 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Battery Park City if you want a slightly suburban feel (I am a broker who just put not one but two clients down there because it's so pretty -- bike paths by the water, but you can still walk to Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods -- to hit your budget you'll have to be about five blocks away from that stuff)

or Midtown West if you want to be right in the middle of the throng -- Ninth Avenue has great restaurants etc.

There are other neighborhoods that fit your requirements -- I'm a big fan of Chinatown too -- but I think you'd be happy in one of those two.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

NoyokA
September 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Upper East Side.

KenNYC
September 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Since I'm one of the two clients (I assume), I can absolutely vouch for what front porch is saying. That being said, I've also come to like the Upper West Side a lot, so I dont think that is a horrible suggestion either. Wouldn't recommend over 95th street though (No, you're not going to be murdered there, its just not as nice)

ThisIsntMyRealName
September 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but I am still puzzled. Moving to NYC in January and will (hopefully) make decent income there.

I can comfortably spend about $2,500/month on rent, and all I need is a decent 1br apartment. I can go up to $3K/mo if that increases my chances of finding an awesome place.

I don't have kids, I work from home and, therefore, I will be spending a lot of time in the area I choose. Basically I'm looking for a neighborhood with *tons* of stuff accessible by foot from my apartment: restaurants, bars, cafes, book stores, groceries, etc. That's the main criteria. I hate driving.

I've been to NYC before, and I must say I am not sure I like Brooklyn and Queens (although I haven't been to downtown Brooklyn). I've been reading Wikipedia on various Manhattan parts and they're all sound the same from "good" to "great": UES, UWS, SOHO, Chelsea...

Would be great to hear what NYC residents have to say about these parts of Manhattan and possibly something else I've overlooked.

Thank you very much!
--
P.S. I did trying to search for answers, but the search feature here is very rudimentary... Not helpful at all.

Here's some information that might be helpful, which I used to my search.
Downtown and midtown Manhattan are both busier than uptown 24/7, so more traffic, etc. Downtown Manhattan is also more liberal and there are more artsy/fashion/entertainment types there (with the exception of Battery Park/Wall Street), while uptown has more business types and more old money types living there. It might also be considered more residential. Another fact, The UWS is more Jewish while the UES is more Christian. On the UWS you can go further north, upto hear Columbia U., while on the UES you cannot go very far north before running into bad neighborhoods, for example, 100th street. uptown also has the park while downtown is almost completely urban. I chose the UES.

KenNYC
September 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I disagree with almost nothing said there :) And there are plenty of parks downtown. Not of Central Park's size of course, but if you want green areas, that is not at all a reason to exclude downtown.

Front_Porch
September 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
The Upper West and Upper East sides are a lot more alike than they used to be, but the joke used to be: "On the Upper East Side, a resident has more clothes than books; on the Upper West Side, a resident has more books than clothes."

ali r.
{downtown broker}

stache
September 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The way things are going, 2.5K may get you a one bedroom anywhere here in the very near future! ;)

KenNYC
September 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
With a central park view :)

(no not really)

conezone
December 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Since I'm one of the two clients (I assume), I can absolutely vouch for what front porch is saying. That being said, I've also come to like the Upper West Side a lot, so I dont think that is a horrible suggestion either. Wouldn't recommend over 95th street though (No, you're not going to be murdered there, its just not as nice)

You don't know what you're talking about . Broadway between 106th and 110th is just as nice if not nicer than Broadway between 90th and 95th.