PDA

View Full Version : broken lease

edheathcliff
September 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi all,

I have a problem I was hoping to get some advice on. I recently rented an apartment in Brooklyn Heights, about 2k per month. Last week when I was supposed to move in, I had second thoughts and decided to break the lease. I've given the owner the keys back and the apartment is now back on the market with a broker. Anyone know how long apts stay on the market in that area? Any advice as to how to deal with the situation would be really appreciated.

Ed

Edward
September 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Did you give security deposit to the owner, or a fee to a broker?

edheathcliff
September 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Yes, stupidly I did both. The landlord says he is keeping the security deposit until he re-rents, then I get the balance. He has a broker working on renting it. So basically I'm asking because I'd like to know how much money I can expect to get back from the security deposit.

KenNYC
September 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I'd guess nothing, and even at that he's not really doing you any injustice. People really need to know better than signing contracts on a whim.

edheathcliff
September 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ok, thanks for your 2 cents ken, but that's not really my question. My question is about how long apartments stay on the market in the brooklyn heights area.

stache
September 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Usually not too long, but with the economy it's hard to tell. Did you ask your broker?

KenNYC
September 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Fair enough, and I don't think that part of the market is suffering too bad yet, but I can't really make any qualified guess as to how long. Depends a lot on the broker too, if it's the landlord's broker and the landlord intends to hold you for all the rent until it's re-rented he probably wouldn't put much effort into it.