PDA

View Full Version : Irish & English community in NYC?

no1
October 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
There is a massive Irish community in New York and around other cities in Amercia, this dates back to famine in Ireland, and Irish immagrants moved there. Why is there no English community in New York?

If your Irish in New york im sure you will be welcomed with open arms and made to feel at home, but if you English its not so easy, serious question, am I right or wrong?

RandySavage
October 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
As the American colonies were born and raised under Great Britain, New York City - up until the immigration waves of the 1800s - was essentially an Anglo-American city. Even after the massive immigration and diversification, NYC's power elite was still dominated by families with English heritage until the 1960s. By the end of that decade, the WASPs were de-throned and Jews have since dominated the City's higher echelons. So unlike the Irish, Italians, Jews, Chinese, West Indians, Africans, etc., the English who came here over the last two centuries probably never thought of themselves as outsiders in New York City and thus never needed to form close cultural ties or neighborhoods for mutual benefit as other newcomers have.

The English that have come in the past several decades seem to be successful professionals in finance, media, etc., and thus assimilate into the City's multi-ethnic, meritocratic classes, rather than circle their English wagons for survival. That said, you could likely find rugby, cricket or football clubs around the City where English nationals gather to socialize (in relatively small numbers).

New York is now an international city. I think you would be welcomed here.

Front_Porch
October 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
What are you talking about? There's a significant bunch of British financial workers here in Manhattan, and the NY-London corridor has even spawned a lifestyle term "NYLON" and even a magazine (also called Nylon) .

Sorry if you haven't found your crowd. I think if you walk in to Myers of Keswick on Hudson Street, they'll hook you up with some other expats.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

no1
October 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
after re-reading my post maybe it came across wrong, but it was wasnt ment to come across rude. Thanks for the posts they were interesting, Nylon obvioulsy means new york london, but what did u mean, they have their own magasine and what is the Nylon phase all about anyway.