PDA

View Full Version : Surviving in The City

no1
October 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I went to Manhattan New York for a trip last year, and it was excellent, i went for food in one of the fast food pizza places and noticed a worker and he obviously didnt earn much money and it wasnt his families place either, i was just wondering how do they manage to live in New York City when not earning much, it is very expenisve, obvioulsy unless he was from a cheaper part of New York, but then again their isnt any cheap places in New York, please excuse the stupid questions, its just on my mind. Thanks

RandySavage
October 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If you earn very little, then you can qualify to live in taxpayer subsidized public housing, aka "projects," owned by the New York City Housing Authority. There are some projects in Manhattan which are now in highly desirable locations and the tenants in those building pay pennies on the dollar in rent.

no1
October 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
that is the equivalent to council houses in London then. So its called projects, its crazy here, some people that dont work get a council place and the actual place is worth about 800,000, and they live next to someone who is actually paying the rent which os likely to be 1,800 a month, it dont sound any different in NYC either then

stache
October 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
There's waiting lists for apartments in NYC subsidized buildings. Many illegals live packed into apartments at the very outer reaches of where the NYC bus lines go, then they have to transfer to the train to get to their jobs.

TheFivePoints
October 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
waiting lists for apartments in NYC subsidized buildings. Many illegals live packed into apartments at the very outer reaches of where the NYC bus lines go, then they have to transfer to the train to get to their jobs.

Not for long Stache, with the way the econony is it wont be too long before those apts are empty...I just hope people in the city can ride it out but things are going to get worse in the job market