PDA

View Full Version : City life vs Town life vs Country life

RockstarJizzy
October 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
All things considered, which do you prefer and why?

City-life: fast, furious, fun. Lots of things to do. Lots of people to meet. Endless hustle and bustle. However a probable downside is that it can be noisy, polluted, stressful, unhealthy, and hard to find peace.

Town-life: a balance of city and country life. Not too many things to do. Manageable place. Cheaper than a city.

Country-life: healthy, quiet living. Very peaceful. Natural views which can be more fulfilling than the sight of skyscrapers and buildings. But very slow, hardly anything to do (unless you have good transport access to a buzzing place nearby), and can be quite expensive sometimes.

TheFivePoints
October 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
As far am I am concerned its either:

City Life
or
Country Life/Town life
there is no in between

I don't agree with comparing city life to Unhealthy, if you are a new yorker you walk everywhere, I ate bologna sandwiches as a kid and I am certainly not fat, I ve lived in NYC my whole life and I dont have asthma...so there goe's that one.
In Manhattan you are by far safer than if you lived in the outer borough's, and its generally cleaner.
Growing up in NYC I took 4 buses to my highschool so if you live in the city you are less likely to sit on your ass.

Country life as I see it boring. I see it if your a kid you have to have someone drive you everywhere. Look you can take cheap public transportation to JFK from anywhere in the city or Long Island.
And if you live in the city and visit the country you have to worry about the hillbillies in that movie Deliverance...poor Ned Beaty poor Ned

scumonkey
October 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Life expectancy in NYC is also higher than average.

joe25
October 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
As far am I am concerned its either:

City Life
or
Country Life/Town life
there is no in between

I don't agree with comparing city life to Unhealthy, if you are a new yorker you walk everywhere, I ate bologna sandwiches as a kid and I am certainly not fat, I ve lived in NYC my whole life and I dont have asthma...so there goe's that one.
In Manhattan you are by far safer than if you lived in the outer borough's, and its generally cleaner.
Growing up in NYC I took 4 buses to my highschool so if you live in the city you are less likely to sit on your ass.

Country life as I see it boring. I see it if your a kid you have to have someone drive you everywhere. Look you can take cheap public transportation to JFK from anywhere in the city or Long Island.
And if you live in the city and visit the country you have to worry about the hillbillies in that movie Deliverance...poor Ned Beaty poor Ned

Umm, trust me, there is a between. Country life means, on a county road with a house in the middle of nowhere. Town life means a small town, but not as big as a city.

TheFivePoints
October 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Joe
If your not from NYC.........that's all we know city or country.
I ve seen people who come to this city from the country or town life as you say........and I dont care where they come from, they are usually in awe of city life, the fast pace of life is matched nowhere else

There is nothing like living in a large metroplis

joe25
October 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Joe
If your not from NYC.........that's all we know city or country.
I ve seen people who come to this city from the country or town life as you say........and I dont care where they come from, they are usually in awe of city life, the fast pace of life is matched nowhere else

There is nothing like living in a large metroplis

trust me, I know, ive lived in one my whole life too. So new yorkers don't take trips upstate or take hikes in the Adirondacks? Hmm, take a trip to Massachusetts, visit Hartford, that's town life, then there is the country, miles and miles of nothing but cornfields. That is what the poster means by town/country life.

TheFivePoints
October 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Hartford, CTNew York, NYNationalMurder:19.37.37Forcible Rape:37.8413.1232.2Robbery:610.3287.9205.8Aggravat ed Assault:612.7329.6336.5Burglary:932.3271.1813.2Lar ceny Theft:4796.21412.92601.7Vehicle Theft:1376195.2501.5

Hartford is a terrible place to live in....I ve been there and as far as MASS thats an entire state silly......

trust me, I know, ive lived in one my whole life too. So new yorkers don't take trips upstate or take hikes in the Adirondacks? Hmm, take a trip to Massachusetts, visit Hartford, that's town life, then there is the country, miles and miles of nothing but cornfields.

What are you trying to say we dont travel outside the city thats a foolish response....
Some of us city folk do actually own a car.....ya know the thigy with the weel and a motor up in front under the hood..it roars when ya step on the pedal

joe25
October 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Haha, I am not comparing them, you said yourself you see town and country life as the same, I am trying to show you they are 2 different things. I asked you if new yorkers like yourself travel because you said you saw them as 2 different things. You seem to be sensitive on these issues, maybe I should stop before you start researching the crime rate in my hometown, Chicago. Oh yes, cars, you mean the millions of them that are in citys, parking spaces, parking garages! Impossbile :eek:. try cornfields next. Do they have any in brooklyn?

stache
October 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Let's please try to keep the flaming/sarcasm to a minimum. Thank you.

joe25
October 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
^ No worries, I'll explain for the OP in pictures

City http://look-closer.net/wp-content/myimages/2006/07/NYC072806_026.jpg

Townhttp://www.greatlakesregion.us/images/Dekalb.jpg

Country http://www.waynet.org/waynet/spotlight/2006/images/07/cornfields640.jpghttp://www.pyracantha.com/images/Cornfield%27s%20Edge%20Web.jpg
Thats my point, no comparisons, not trying to flame anyone, just expressing the OPs views in pictures ;)

Edit: added different country pic, seems the last one crapped out.

RockstarJizzy
October 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I asked you if new yorkers like yourself travel because you said you saw them as 2 different things.

New Yorkers have this foolish notion that they think they live in the centre of the universe, they fail to see there's life and a bigger world beyond the city perimeter :p

scumonkey
October 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Jealous much?!;)

joe25
October 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
^Hehe, I wouldn't say all new yorkers think that way, my uncle lives in Brooklyn and hes pretty open minded. It is nice to travel, but when you are in New york city, everything is at your fingertips.

Edit: Scumonkey you got in the way of my arrow lol.

TheFivePoints
October 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Jizzy
New Yorkers have this foolish notion that they think they live in the centre of the universe, they fail to see there's life and a bigger world beyond the city perimeter :p

I don't know where you have that feeling about new york people being in the center of the universe....that seems pretty close minded

My conversation with Joe had to do with big town small town not who's in the middle.don't know where you got that one from

RockstarJizzy
October 10th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Jealous much?!;)

of what, your avatar? No.

As far as place is concerned, give me the view of mountains over your overrated crumbling concrete jungle anyday of the week!

RockstarJizzy
October 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Jizzy

I don't know where you have that feeling about new york people being in the center of the universe....that seems pretty close minded

My conversation with Joe had to do with big town small town not who's in the middle.don't know where you got that one from

it was meant as a joke, hence the :p at the end of the statement.

No doubt NYers are actually more exposed to world cultures than anywhere in the US, given its vast international links with the world be it business, finance, politics etc.

Not to mention that the women are INSANELY hot. There's one who works with me who has worked in the city and she has worked at places like the MOMA - she's the artsy type, but killer sexy. If all NY women are like her, I got to go there sometime! :D

scumonkey
October 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
of what, your avatar? No.Avatars were never brought up in my question,
now that you brought it up....
I wouldn't expect much from a person who
goes by the name of RockstarJizzy- a byproduct of bad sex.
That might explain why a person who admittedly has never even been to NYC
could make such baseless comments about it, and it's inhabitants.:cool:
After reading through all 22 or 23 of your posts I have to say
Thank God for the certain site features!
"This message is hidden because RockstarJizzy is on your ignore list".

RockstarJizzy
October 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Thank God for the certain site features!
"This message is hidden because RockstarJizzy is on your ignore list".

LOL. What a pussy. :)

KenNYC
October 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Quite frankly, the ignorance I've seen in very many Americans (from a great number of places) towards seeing and knowing the world is rather sad. I understand that traveling is a larger investment for Americans than for Europeans, but the fact that so many Americans simply don't give a sh.. about learning how the rest of the world works, scares me. And considering my entire social circle is in a higher academic community I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the worst of it...

Anyway, derailing a bit, sorry, just had to mention it. And despite the criticism in this post, I do like Americans :) (Well, not all :p)

NYC4Life
October 11th, 2008, 12:25 AM
of what, your avatar? No.

As far as place is concerned, give me the view of mountains over your overrated crumbling concrete jungle anyday of the week!

So Rockstar, what brings you to this "New York" forum in the first place? :rolleyes:

ablarc
October 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
England and America, Shaw famously declared, are “two nations separated by a common language.”

He could use this thread as an illustration. Both sides have failed to grasp each other’s meaning or attitude --and the upshot is a promising and sporadically thoughtful member of this forum --the creator of this and other threads-- is now banned. I’m pretty sure this should not be so.

it was meant as a joke, hence the :p at the end of the statement.

LOL. What a pussy. :)
Does this mean exactly the same thing on both sides of the Pond?

Does his moniker always mean the same in both countries? Are standards of propriety the same here and there? Are we mincing a bit when we profess shock at people's language? Are we gradeschoolers and schoolmarms? Shrinking Violets?

I’m wondering if the moderating on this forum is again getting a little prissy (remember the last time?). Do I detect a certain triggerhappiness?

Speaking of which, isn’t it about time Edward emailed MidtownGuy to invite him back?

That naughty boy !

So Rockstar, what brings you to this "New York" forum in the first place? :rolleyes:
Of more concern to me: will he be back at all, and why is he gone in the first place?

Can’t see much in this thread to justify his banning.

scumonkey
October 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Can’t see much in this thread to justify his banning. Then maybe you should read some of the drivel this person has posted on other threads.
And yes that word in the childish retort means the same
(something I wouldn't have to had read if it weren't quoted by you) on both sides of the pond.
Call me a dick- no problem- call me a pu*#Y-way off base.
I'm not one, don't have one, wouldn't touch one!;)
If He/she got banned it was well deserved.
(by the way I did not complain to any moderator- so I had nothing to do with it)

ablarc
October 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.englishforums.com/English/AlternativeSwearWords/3/bzzqq/Post.htm

scumonkey
October 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Abalrc, if that was for me you need not bother- I was born a Brit and transplanted in my youth- If it was for someone else - never mind :D

ZippyTheChimp
October 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I only recently found out that FAP was slang for masturbation.

Wiki wasn't much help until I scrolled down. Redirected to an acronym for a Serbian vehicle manufacturer, Fabrika automobila Priboj (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrika_automobila_Priboj)

Fapmobile.

Has a nice ring to it.

Fabrizio
October 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Lately it's been my only form of transportation.

stache
October 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Fabrika automobila Priboj (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrika_automobila_Priboj)

Fapmobile.

Has a nice ring to it.

It runs on Kleenex. ;)

TheFivePoints
October 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
you guys swated jizzy away like the pesly nat that he is

ZippyTheChimp
October 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Lately it's been my only form of transportation.At least you're not out of gas.

Ninjahedge
October 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Quite frankly, the ignorance I've seen in very many Americans (from a great number of places) towards seeing and knowing the world is rather sad. I understand that traveling is a larger investment for Americans than for Europeans, but the fact that so many Americans simply don't give a sh.. about learning how the rest of the world works, scares me. And considering my entire social circle is in a higher academic community I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the worst of it...

Anyway, derailing a bit, sorry, just had to mention it. And despite the criticism in this post, I do like Americans :) (Well, not all :p)

Don't worry about the derail, this seemed like a pretty free-range topic here.

The one thing I like about NYC is the fact that so many have gone so many places. Whetehr it be to tourist destinations, less traveled routes, or even just "back to family" in the old country, there are more people here coming and going all around the world than 95% of the rest of the country.

As for Country/Town/City, I could not choose one. I could say "no" to country, but being from the 'burbs and loving the city, I would say I am a "Big town/Classic city" person. Ridgewood, NJ being one town I love.

Ninjahedge
October 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I only recently found out that FAP was slang for masturbation.

Wiki wasn't much help until I scrolled down. Redirected to an acronym for a Serbian vehicle manufacturer, Fabrika automobila Priboj (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrika_automobila_Priboj)

Fapmobile.

Has a nice ring to it.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Fap-Man!!!!!!