PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking about moving to Ny

PassionateChef
October 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hey there,

So I am from Massachusetts and have lived here pretty much my whole life. I moved down to Gainesville, Florida this past summer with my bf and hated it so much that I told him I had to go home after two months. Now we went down there so he could go to school and i ended up fing things up for him. This was obviously stupid of me, telling him I'd go then wanting to move back:(

Well he recently heard that another school was also really good for chinese Medecine called, The Swedish Institute. So I am thinking about moving to Ny for him. I would prefer this because i wouldn't be so danm far away from my family and I could drive 3-4 hours to see them. Not like florida where I was 24 hour drive away and no one that we were close to around.

I love to cook but have had no great jobs like executive chef or anything like that. How could we survive in a city like this, with him going to school and all? We like living simply so that is no big deal. Does anyone know how culinary jobs pay out there and what is your advice for us?

Thank you:)

Schadenfrau
October 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Are you a chef or a cook? What's your schooling?

PassionateChef
October 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM
i went to culinary school at a local community college . I have an associates degree in culinary arts. However, I dont have that much restaurant experience because of various reasons. here is my food blog:

www.thepassionatecaterer.blogspot.com (http://www.thepassionatecaterer.blogspot.com)

I cook and bake alot, have a good year and a half waitressing in pretty high end restuarnts here in Rhode island.

focalblur
October 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Without experience I would say you best bet is to find a FOH job. My best friend works at a place in the upper east side and he pulls about 60K a year as a server. He lives in a studio, with his g/f, in the upper east side for $1,600 a month.

Take into account that food service is hurting at the moment and that NYC is flooded with places. This can make some jobs competitive but at the same time there are a lot of jobs out there at all different levels (from carry out to fine dining)

On a side not you can take something like the Megabus (there are many often called the china bus) to Boston from NYC for $1-25 each way. Much better than driving