PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Question

GraspTheMoment
November 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone.... long time listener, first time caller... LOL

hey, here goes. Right now I'm on unemployment. I'm making a whopping $405 dollars a week, which works out roughly to $10.00 an hr.

here's my question. I'm being forced to look outside the tech world, and since I don't have any other skills, retail and warehouse jobs are my only options, most of which pay $8.00 an hr.

Now, If I take an $8 hr job, then I loose my benefits, and I loose money. Now, I'm not looking to mooch off the government anymore than I have to, but I'm not sure what I should do. Here I am, 33, and taking unemployment for the first time in my life!

Any help?

lofter1
November 9th, 2008, 11:08 PM
During your previous employment you were paying into the Unemployment Insurance Fund (or your employer was, on your behalf).

You are not "mooching". You are now receiving UI benefits to which you are entitled.

And you are not bound to take work outside of your field which pays less than the going wage for work you previously did.

Use this time between employment -- aka being "under" - employed -- to focus on what you want to do next.

GraspTheMoment
November 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you Lofter, I really appreciate your help