PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Apts in the City

ECULauren
November 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I am getting ready to move to NYC in Feb. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apt that is going to be less than $900/mo. I would prefer to be in Manhatten (Harlem/Washington Heights would be fine) but I would consider looking into Brooklyn if needed as long as there is a park for my dog.

Any tips on finding a place?

I have looked on Craigslist but there seems to be a lot of scams out there.

Is it worth it to pay a broker?

Thanks!!!

Schadenfrau
November 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Definitely pay for a broker. Really, you would be lucky to find an apartment (a studio, no less) anywhere in the city for that price. Manhattan is going to be out of the question. Have you thought about finding a roommate?

ECULauren
November 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
how much do brokers usually run? I do not really want a roommate b/c I am very particular about how I live (I'm clean) and I've had bad luck with roommates in the past.

stache
November 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM
This is bordering on ridiculous and I'm wondering if you are a troll. You would be lucky to find a studio under $1,200.00 or a 1 bedroom under 2K.

NewYorkDoc
November 11th, 2008, 07:31 PM
You can get studios for 850-900 in BK, Queens, and the Bronx. They're on Craigslist. How do I know theyre real? I live in a studio in BK near Prospect Park for less than 900 a month. Good luck!

Marv95
November 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Actually in the northern end of Manhattan (past 145th) it's not unheard of to get a studio or even a small 1bd for that price. But you get what you pay for in Manhattan. Kinda. I would just stick with craigslist anyway regardless of the scams. They have some truthsworthy deals, just beware of anything that appears fishy. I would look for something near Prospect Park though...

Amberlicious7583
November 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Definitely pay for a broker. Really, you would be lucky to find an apartment (a studio, no less) anywhere in the city for that price. Manhattan is going to be out of the question. Have you thought about finding a roommate?

I dont think a broker is absolutely necessary. There are plenty of apartments on craigslist that dont require you to go through a broker. Save your money and do it on your own.

Schadenfrau
November 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Amberlicious- I'm sorry, but how long have you lived in New York and how many apartments have you lived in? The majority of listings on Craigslist are total crap, if not outright scams.

stache
November 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I have decided to lock this thread as the original poster is no longer contributing.