PDA

View Full Version : Yet another moving question post

PR08
December 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
So here's the deal- I live in Tampa and have always wanted to move to New York (been there numerous times) but am unsure of how to go about this. I want to pursue a career in Journalism but have minimal experience in field. I have 5k aside and was thinking of subletting an apt for a month to test the waters. I have a friend in New York who has connections to Nylon Magazine and can potentially get me an internship (nothing is definite), of course I would use this time to scout jobs. My question to all you New Yorkers is should I just do it? I'm miserable here and feel if I don't take action now I'm only going to regret it. Is 5k enough for a month of subletting and for leisure/food? Is one month a decent amount of time to job hunt? Any advice would be helpful.

-Paul

stache
December 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Oy. How much does the sublet cost? Journalism does not pay very well.

PR08
December 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Not sure. Was looking on craigslist for temp housing/sublets think it would be cheaper versus booking a hotel for that amount of time.

shocka
December 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
5K might be enough to get by for one month, depending on where you live and your quality of life.

As for the coming to NYC w/o a Job in this economy may not be the best decision. Every day I hear of more and more people loosing their jobs (in various industries). Normally, I would say got for it, but in my honest opinion you might end up struggling more then you want to due to the state of the economy.

Whatever your decision best of luck.

-Shocka

PR08
December 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for advice. Yeah the economy sucks now, I have PTO avail from my job here so really it's like an extended vacation in NYC but instead of pleasure it would be business. Forgot to mention that in original post.

lofter1
December 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
CURBED put up this notice today ...

2009 Call for Interns! (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/12/09/2009_call_for_interns.php)

http://eater.com/uploads/helpwanted.jpg

You know which sector of the job market hasn't dried up, people?
That's right: The intern sector. Are you an eager, perhaps
college-age, person who happens to read, and perhaps even
enjoy, Curbed on a daily basis? If so, this opportunity may be
for you. We're looking for interns with journalism in their blood
to join our merry band in 2009.

lofter1
December 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Who invented the idea of The Intern? What a scam, eh? Hard working souls who get no pay. Jeez.

Back in the day of the workers Guild at least the journeyman position came with a bowl of mush and a place in the corner to sleep.

Schadenfrau
December 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Interning is one thing, but no one's getting jobs at any magazines or newspapers in the city right now, that's for sure. I can empathize with PR08, but it is truly an awful, awful idea to try to find work here in publishing at this point.

ablarc
December 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
If everyone pulls together, New York City's population growth can be reversed.

lofter1
December 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM
The owner of my building has been trying for two years to get rid of a commercial tenant that did not meet his liking and who he thought was getting in the way of a bigger and better tenant -- until last week, when the owner showed up unannounced at the commercial tenant's place of business to ask him what he wanted in order to renew his lease.

The times they are a'changin' ...

Schadenfrau
December 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
If everyone pulls together, New York City's population growth can be reversed.

Or, the job market could just keep going the way it's going.

If anyone has doubts about the state of jobs in media, just read Gawker for a page or two:

http://gawker.com/

Better yet, go back about 200 pages and read it all, paying special attention to any entry with the tag, "The Great Magazine Die-Off."