PDA

View Full Version : Relocating From Chicago to NYC

BronxBorn
December 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
:confused:Hey gang, this is my first post on this forum, and already i'm finding a TON of info, so thanks in advance! Ok, this is what i got: I was born in Bronx and moved to Arizona at the age of 6. I have 3 step-sisters and 1 step-brother, we were all separated at different ages. It had been more than 10 years since i've talked to any of them. Between 12-22 years since i've SEEN any of them!! God is Good!!! We lost touch because of me moving around in Az alot. I used myspace to find my sisters and brother and am wanting to come back to my birthplace. One of my sisters lives in East Orange, NJ, and the other lives in Uptown Manhattan. I would like to live somewhere near my sister in Manhattan, preferably in Manhattan itself. She is helping me find a job before i move and i'm trying to find out what areas of Manhattan are near her, and how much will i need to earn, also are there any apartments i can rent that would allow me to have my 4 children there. Going through divorce, not sure about custody yet, but wanted to know if i could have them there for visitation or permanently and how are landlords on capacity in Manhattan?? My sister has 4 kids and she lives in Manhattan with her husband so just trying to figure out a game plan for success!! Thanks everyone and sorry for such a long and drawn out post, but this is the Best X-Mas of my life, i get to reunite with my family for the first time in over a decade!!!! Happy Holidays and New Year!!!:D

BrooklynRider
December 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
What a great event for you! Things in NYC are very, very tough right now. The economy is seriously tanking and there is every indication that things are going to get a lot worse. I don't say this to discourage you as much as to let you know that advice based on "the norm" just can't be relied upon.

I do think that, if you are moving here with four children, you will have to look in south Brooklyn, eastern Queens, the Bronx, or Jersey for housing options that are suitable. Manhattan is going to be very tough to find a large enough place.

I wish you luck.