PDA

View Full Version : Tags & Searches

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Members can help make forum information easier to access by adding to the TAG list.

The Tag bar is located at the bottom of the post display page. The TAG link on the left will display a Tag Cloud. Clicking on one of the tags will display all threads that are assigned that tag. There's a dialogue box at the bottom to search by tag.

Use the EDIT TAGS link on the right of the bar to add a tag to the thread.

Below the bar are existing tags for that thread.

Search by tag can also be done from the top bar on the forum main page. The SEARCH button will open a menu. Click on TAG SEARCH.

When assigning a tag, don't use broad descriptions such as skyscraper or manhattan, which will result in a long, loosely connected list.

A building address (enclosed in a comma) will yield a specific thread, but you can also add something more general, or a nearby landmark. The Bank of America thread has several tags: 3 point only to the thread, but the bryant park tag will include the BOA thread among the others relating to the park. So someone who wants to know what building is across from Bryant Park will be able to search.

Architect and developer names can be used to create lists.

For specific information, tag searches are much more effective than Google searches, because there is no algorithm that produces a long list. Either the thread has the tag or it doesn't. The drawback is that the search is only as good as the tag list.

lofter1
December 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
For practice and to see how this works I'm giving this thread a TAG for "Rules" ...

Except I misread Zip's instructions : The TAG option is not in the Reply window.

This is just an explanatory "Reply" ...

:o

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Not in the reply window, but I forgot to mention that there is an add-tags option in the create-a-thread window.

BrooklynRider
April 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi all-

I've undertaken a major tagging project for the forum, primarily in the skyscrapers and architecture sections.

A couple of things I tried to keep consistent:

Completion year, so you can see projects completed by year
Architect
Address
The street the project is on (I thought it could be cool to know what might be down a street you are visiting)
Neighborhood
and whatever I else I feel like doing.

ZippyTheChimp
April 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
There are 20 sub-forums.

:D