PDA

View Full Version : 400-600 month left after bills?

718Bound
December 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Just looking for others opinions... With the job market the way it is I know moving without a job would probably not be the best idea...

Lets see you were in my shoes would you do it...

Lets say you were offered a job, maybe not what you wanted to do for the rest of your life (but hey a job offer where you want to live) and after taxes, your rent, and bills were payed you would have about $400-$600 left over a month to cover your basic expenses like food, personal items, entertainment whatever.

I live pretty frugal as it is already so I don't think it would be that much of a change for me. The move would probably be in February/March maybe (hopefully) sooner and I'll be bringing about $5,000 to $7,000 in savings with me. If I didn't have a job lined up I know I would be told that money will go quick especially with the economy as it is... ...but I will be able to pay my living expense with the money I get with the job I have lined up.

Again, I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what I should do, I know what I'm going to do, just looking for others opinions on it. Like I said it's not a career plan, but hey it's a job and allows me to be able to look for other jobs and return to school...

stache
December 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
In the $400 range that would be tight, a little less that $20 a day. Transit is currently $2.00. It might be worth it just for the experience but be realistic that you may have to leave because of expenses.

lofter1
December 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
The random trip to the grocery which one year ago cost ~$20 now seems to run more like ~$35.

Things ain't getting any cheaper here.

philvia
December 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
4-600 seems like it would be enough.. assuming you're living alone, food wouldn't be very expensive. transit is $80/month if you're commuting. i think it'll be tight on 400 but 600 is enough for sure :cool:

Ninjahedge
December 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Just don't plan on Dating....

Unless, of course, you are an "artist"... ;)

Scruffy88
February 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM
i couldn't live off 100 a week. between grocery visits and occasional eating out when im at work (can't bring in food) that alone runs 100 a week. so no clothes, going to movies, and various other things that make me happy. i wouldn't set myself up for such a frugal existence.

Amberlicious7583
February 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Its doable, you would have to be VERY frugal though. But you can always find things to do that are free such as parks, some museums, and other events around the city.

http://www.freenyc.net/
http://nyc.myopenbar.com/
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/features/38681/cheap-eats

KenNYC
February 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Sounds tight but doable, as others have said. One thing I want to add though is to give some consideration to the security of the job you are getting. Most likely you are going to be an at-will employee, which essentially means they can send you packing on an hour's notice. Are you confident that the job is going to be safe for a decent time period?