PDA

View Full Version : Creative formatting

Fabrizio
December 26th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Am I being picky? Is this a non-issue?

Giant oversized type, screaming headlines, acres of white space...a 3 foot-tall post all for a cute article about cooking ribs on the engine of a Saab.

Poster replies and comments, in good ol' normal-sized type, justified to left, in the default formatting of WiredNY, get very lost in the shuffle.... crushed by the next screen real-estate eating article. Where we would normaly get to see a few posts at the same time on a good-sized screen... we now see one. Or maybe half of one.

Those threads wind up looking and feeling like personal blogs, repelling the flow of conversation. The content is wonderful, but the blog-style formatting is off-putting... and in fact, if you notice, they seem to get much less conversation action.

What to do?

Zephyr
December 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
As far as I can determine for formatting, you are.

Let me cite "Posting Guidelines" within Forum Rules of Conduct:

No commercial messages of any kind, or advertisements are allowed. If you are unsure whether your post is appropriate, please contact one of the moderators. Inappropriate messages would be deleted without notification.

Stay on topic. Read the thread subject and the first post, and if you are replying to the post, make sure it is relevant.

When creating a new thread, have a meaningful and descriptive subject line.

Use English language. Non-English posts or sentences would be deleted.

Use proper grammar. A sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a period.

The use of foul language on this forum is not allowed.

Make use of Search function.

Do not quote an entire post – only relevant part. Remove any links to images in quotes.

Do not post images wider that 800 pixels. If the image is wider, post it as a link.

When quoting/posting copyrighted material, you must include author, copyright statement and a link to the source.

Please tell me where the restriction lies? If not here where?

It appears that among our posters there are several that use large fonts - note the World Skyscrapers section. Not one but several posters there have used large fonts. Your specificity seems to relate to a personal vendetta. But if it is not turned toward one forum member where else does it apply?

Fabrizio
December 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Oh boy... uh... no, no personal vendetta. Relax.

As for forum rules against such formatting: there are none.

We also had a similar issue with a poster who constantly posted animated gifs of skunks and cats and dancing bears. There are no rules against doing so.

It was pointed out to her that visually her animated gifs did not jive well with the forum (small well thought-out doses present no prob).

Despite that fact that there are no rules against it: the poster had the graciousness to listen and tone her "creativity" down.

Zephyr
December 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Specifically, may I ask, what part of the creativity was toned down?

Fabrizio
December 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
The middle part.

Zephyr
December 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry?

ZippyTheChimp
December 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
The moderators have been aware of this conflict it unfolded in other threads.

It was suggested that we start a thread to discuss the issue, but not offer our own opinions until a representative number of members have weighed in.

It's already happened, so have at it:

Should the main body of all posts conform to a forum standard (font, color, size). This would not interfere with highlighted items (titles, quotes. etc).

infoshare
December 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Please tell me where the restriction lies? If not here where?

It appears that among our posters there are several that use large fonts - note the World Skyscrapers section. Not one but several posters there have used large fonts. Your specificity seems to relate to a personal vendetta. But if it is not turned toward one forum member where else does it apply?

I for one do not have a problem with your creative formating style: on the contrary I enjoy seeing them and read most of what you post - there sure easy to spot.:cool:

BrooklynRider
December 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I like the emphasis on areas that the poster thinks is of particular importance and I can appreciate the work that goes into formatting.

I would encourage posters to consider that a lot of us enjoy reading the forum on our lunch breaks or during down time at work. The oversized text and extremely large headlines make it impossible to read this site in a discreet manner. Extra larger headlines - particularly those of a political nature make it too provocative to read in a work environment.

I can't recall anyone having any kind of issue over the content of larger font posts, but a number of people have expressed a dislike of the larger font itself.

For me, I've come to recognize and appreciate posting etiquette. Etiquette is not something that is a written rule. It is a protocol in courtesy that is based on custom and traditions.

I think emphasis can be made to content without enlarged font. If one wants to disregard this etiquette, then it sets a precedent for others, with even bolder ways of wanting to making point, will do so with no consideration for the forum community in general.

Do you

waNt to see eVEry

other post

in fOnts

like this?

We have experienced similar issues with animation and GIFs. I think it dumbs down the forum and is often used as a substitute for actual dialogue.

This has nothing to do with the freedom to contrary points of view or challenging ideas. It has to do with how it is presented. A strongly expressed idea or well thought out article will get responses on its own merit. Posts that receive criticism for the perceived over use of style should take an objective stance and see that their message is getting muddied - all based on style. I think that in some cases we are seeing style compete directly with substance and, unfortunately, style is losing folks who prefer substance.

Zephyr
December 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I believe you once left a post shortly after mine where you suggested that we all return to a uniform font after all that raucous posting during the election. I see that as being the beginning of this recent tiff over formatting issues.

Zippy just stated that Moderators would not offer their opinions on this. You just did ... again.

At least we now have two Moderators that balance off each other - I hope it ends there.

scumonkey
December 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Not meaning to stir the pot .....
you said:

Zippy just stated that Moderators would not offer their opinions on this.However Zippy actually said:

...but not offer our own opinions until a representative number of members have weighed in.

It's already happened, so have at it:
While I actually don't mind the colours, and the Oversize... sometimes, when I see too much of it on a page, I do tend to ignore all of it
and just look for a different post- regardless of the quality of the content- some font colours tend to hurt/strain my eyes.

Zephyr
December 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
scumonkey, you are absolute right, and it was something I could have double checked on before I posted. But granting that important nuance, that Moderators will eventually have a chance to weigh in, what about the timing?

Even though we don't know what the actual threshold number is on this subject, it probably wouldn't have been reached this soon. Don't you agree?

infoshare
December 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Even though we don't know what the actual threshold number is on this subject, it probably wouldn't have been reached this soon. Don't you agree?

There is a large number of members (thousands) who view these forums on a frequent basis: but only a few dozen "regulars" who post commentary. There is also a large number (tens of thousands) of visitors to the Wired New York website.

I do not think we are going to be getting many - and certainly not a "majority" - of the membership posting their views on this matter. My guess is that most viewers (like myself) enjoy your "graphics" and/or don't mind seeing them.

It's your call- you've got my opinion.

Zephyr
December 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think I'll take my cue from that font you are using to break out of the monotony of our host's call to uniformity.

<<<<< I am beginning to feel less claustrophobic already! >>>>>

Zephyr
December 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Enough fresh air ...

infoshare
December 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
<<<<< I am beginning to feel less claustrophobic already! >>>>>

GLAD to hear that. :cool:

Signing-off on this topic.....cheers.

ZippyTheChimp
December 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Let's not make this too complicated, folks. I think we've had our fill of voting.

Just looking for a suitable number of responses to determine if there's an issue at all.

If it wasn't BR's birthday, I'd be really pissed.

Fabrizio
December 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Happy Birthday BR!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/italia.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/au38.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/italia.gif

scumonkey
December 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Have A Happy!
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb276/scumonkey/birthday.gif

Alonzo-ny
December 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
As I stated in the Odds and Ends thread I dont mind the fact that some posters are trying to do something different its just hard to read. Too many fonts/sizes/colours just plain hurts to read. I remember reading the race for the white house thread and skimming all the articles posted in that manner because it would have sparked a migraine.

All I would ask is limit the number of fonts/sizes/colours to a minimum and left justify to make an enjoyable read. Especially where said posters generally post alot of large posts, sometimes consecutively.

As for Zephyr's Richard Meier thread where posts were constantly deleted, updated and reposted and therefore resulted in 'updated' posts showing as unread but the bulk of which had already been posted before, I found this simply rude and very much discouraged reading.

ZippyTheChimp
December 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I know it's already out there, but I want to avoid turning this into a bash Zephyr fest.

Alonzo-ny
December 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I edited the one part I could to make it neutral. The other part I couldnt as he is the only perpetrator there.

ZippyTheChimp
December 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It's just me responding to the cringe-factor, since I encouraged this whole thing.

Fabrizio
December 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
We've had discussions about the posting of animated gifs, the n-word, the word "bitch", Selma Hayek etc..... and so this subject "creative formatting" is just one more.

There is no bashing of anyone.

On my part it's a suggestion: the Meier thread, for instance, is so good... is there a better grouping of info about Meier on the web?... but page through it, and you'll find very little discussion. Look through the "Toward a New Architecture for the Homeless in Chicago" thread... discussion: zero. Others too... get very little feed back.

I believe that some of the political threads leading up to the election were hurt too.

Why is that? I think the personal blog style with unnecessarily large type, oversized headlines and acres of white space crush "normal" posts... they repel conversation. They become personal blogs... archives of info.

Remember: this is a discussion forum.

Note Ablarc's photo-essay threads. Tons of info and large photos, but they get discussion too. I think the standard formatting helps here.

I don't know about others, but try to scroll through the Meier thread... the posts are so gigantic that it's easy to get lost. The normal formatting and font size allows a quicker view of things.

And I also find the self-editing confusing: the Odds&Ends thread begins with a post dated Dec 24th. My post that follows, is dated Dec 22nd! That post of mine was actually further down the line, but the posts before it were shuffled around: eliminated and posted again. It's as if I am no longer posting at WiredNY, but posting on someone's personal blog: is that the way this forum should work?

Personally I would not want to see hard and fast rules about posting styles...but if things get out of hand as they are IMHO... perhaps a general guideline suggesting posters to adhere to the default formatting as much as possible might be a good idea. My hope is that posters follow common rules of etiquette on their own.

I was not aware that this subject had come up before until Alonzo mentioned it... so it's intersting that others share the same opinion. Note too that I started this thread with: "Am I being picky? Is this a non-issue?" because I really didn't know if it bothered others too.

But we are guests here of Edward: he's the deciderer.

--

lofter1
December 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
The only on-going issue I have is when oversized images are posted. The forum rules say max image width = 800 pixels. No doubt I've been guilty of violating that rule a time or two. But I try not to as images which exceed that size require scrolling to the left & right to see what's missing (at least that's the way it is on my [wee + sorry] monitor).

An IDEA: To solve this scrolling dilemna perhaps fellow forumers would care to contribute to a special fund (in line with current parlance we could call it a "Bail Out" or a "Bit of Blago"). As we are all aware, such generous donations would be in line with both the holiday & election season, and would allow me to obtain a super-wide and up-to-date monitor which would minimize any need for side-ways scrolling.

Should such generosity come my way I would then be willing to forego any future complaints regarding formatting.

I would even vote in favor of allowing super-sized pictures --
and an allowance for fonts of any size and color and style

(something that, not so long ago, were found to be effective (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8385&) but not bothersome (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85478&postcount=35) -- and sometimes even entertaining (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87191&postcount=52)).

It seems that this is a creative solution that everyone might be in favor of.

Fabrizio
December 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I got to do a little side-ways scrolling over the holiday and I feel great.

BrooklynRider
December 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I believe you once left a post shortly after mine where you suggested that we all return to a uniform font after all that raucous posting during the election. I see that as being the beginning of this recent tiff over formatting issues.

Zippy just stated that Moderators would not offer their opinions on this. You just did ... again.

At least we now have two Moderators that balance off each other - I hope it ends there.

I was addressing the subject not you, although you are taking it very personally - for some reason.

If you want or need confirmation as to whether the issue orginated with me, please email Edward, Zippy, or any other Moderator. It didn't.

That aside. As a forum MEMBER, I get to have opinions, too. I get to express them as I want, when I want - provided I don't attack another poster or make it personal. I volunteer to do this, so I'm not some sentinel with an overriding interest other than to help here.

If you want to have a go at it with me, bring it to PM. If you want to keep up the personal chest bumping, I'll rescind my Moderator rights and we can have it here in the thread.

If the bland nature of my posting fails to convey the message from me - as an equal to any other forum member, then I can bump up the font and add colors.

Zephyr
December 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Fun isn't it?

I was expecting this and there it is, in an instance.

Have your opinions, but I am sure you remember the Moderator role still stands when you give those opinions.

Nice to see that you are suggesting face to face in public first. We love our drama don't we.

That stuff is grandstanding at best.

lofter1
December 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Interesting that as the battle heats up the font returns to its default size, shape and color :cool:

Alonzo-ny
December 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I have no idea why Zephyr was banned, I can only guess. The part I dont get is how someone who puts so much effort into his posts doesnt care about anyone who reads them.

scumonkey
December 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM
What a shame that it came down to this :o

lofter1
December 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Unless something in Zephyr's posts here have been edited out the banning is a complete mystery and seems ill-advised.

This particular act is somewhat chilling. Is that the point?

I propose that from here on out should a Senior Forum Member be Banned that the Banning be noted in a footnote to the Offending Post with the "Reason For Banning" Stated.

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
No other opinions on the formatting?

stache
December 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Is it time for other Mods to chime in?

ablarc
December 28th, 2008, 10:42 AM
What the hell is going on here?

Why was Zephyr banned?

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Whoa... what's going on?

lofter1
December 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Time for new Thread?

CREATIVE BANNING

:cool:

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not going to comment on the suddenly arisen (important) issue, while it is still developing.

As to the original topic, has the question been answered?

Am I being picky? Is this a non-issue?

Has the fact that, subtracting the two principal players and the moderators. a grand total of three people have responded rendered it a non-issue?

Or as everyone else suddenly become gun-shy?

kz1000ps
December 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'll throw in my two cents and agree with Fab, Alonzo, et al. I think of the Meier thread as something to check in on once a month or so, because it's too unwieldy to read each day in the manner I'm used to elsewhere here, or on any of the other architecture sites I frequent.

And with the election thread, I read it each and every day, but I admit I skipped over a fair number of Zephyr's posts. IMO, the center-align and big, bold & colorful fonts should be reserved for important news, not for every single article to come from the New York Times each day.

Alonzo-ny
December 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Zephyr must have taken up BrooklynRider on his offer to go to PM and said something there.

Zephyr
December 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Post 31 was the issue, not a PM. Post 31 has not been modified.

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/3d_text_3.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/3d_back.gif

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #12 was the issue.

For the record, BR had nothing to do with initiating this issue, either this time or last month, as Zephyr has implied.

It sat dormant for 6 weeks, and I revived it when I noticed the sniping (that's the way I see it) between Zephyr and Fabrizio in the Odds and Ends thread. I suggested to the other moderators that a thread be opened for everyone except the moderators to discuss.

Fabrizio opened this thread without any contact from me. There is no conspiracy.

Whoever can't express an opinion on this simple issue without interjecting personality, please stay out of it.

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
One more thing: I've probably commented about Zephyrs great posts and positive contributions to the forum maybe 3 or 4 times in the past.

(I don't have time to search for them... but I guess I could).

For me the issue for me is about the formatting style. As noted, we've had discussions about this sort of stuff in the past. Nothing new here.

And many of us have been told to adjust our posts by moderators or other posters ... so there is no reason to take all of this so personally.

Friendships: I do not regularly corrispond with people here. I've never met up with anyone here. I've exchanged messages with a few members, but with no regularity... and certainly no PMs about this subject.

Zephyr
December 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #12 was the issue.

The message I received upon initial banning inserted post 31 specifically. However, that other information that you are adding currently, is news to me.

I am removing myself from this discussion, because I cannot contribute anything to it, given its direction.

ablarc
December 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Can't see anything in either 12 or 31 that merits banning.

Jasonik
December 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think that there are implicit rules of decorum and etiquette in this forum that discourage distracting visual clutter. I've communicated my dislike of overlarge type and spacing to Zephyr on one occasion (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=260710#post260710) and was rebuffed (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=260760&postcount=84). At the time, I didn't want to engage in a peer pressure fiasco so I decided to bite my tongue.

I would like to suggest to any who wish to use creative posting formats and personalize the visual look of content - to post at your WNY blog (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/blog.php) page. All members have one. (Odds and Ends would be a natural fit there IMHO.)

lofter1
December 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Welcome Back, Z ...

Was this a "Mini-Ban" (~ 12 hours)?

That's really more of a Time Out ;)

Or perhaps this was a case of a Bush-like "Upon-reconsidering-I-take-it-back-Ban"

:confused:

ablarc
December 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
But we are guests here of Edward: he's the deciderer.
Monarchy.

(And it's not so bad.)

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I would like to suggest to any who wish to use creative posting formats and personalize the visual look of content - to post at your WNY blog (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/blog.php) page. All members have one.I've wanted to start one, but always gets put on a back burner. Maybe a photo every few weeks; even schlep the tripod.

It's not like moderating is taking up much time. :p

BrooklynRider
December 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Can't see anything in either 12 or 31 that merits banning.

Since their seems to be a feining of bewilderment...

While Zephyr posted #31 he also send me this PM right after it:

I think you need to stop this carping and come clean. Are you in a campaign with friends are you operating solo? I am fed up with this and want to know the truth.

Please ... proceed.

The insinuation in the the thread that I was singling him out in combination with this accusation earned him a "time out".

People here know me and my style. I have opinions; some strong, some obscure, some argued forcefully, others only fleeting.

For the record, I expressed support for Zephyr with the Moderators based on his contributions to the forum. I believe I offered in the Moderator Forum to bring the issue up with him directly, which he refers to as my first post on the issue. I did express a dislike for the posting style, which I feel could be just as effective at half the font size.

As I told Zephyr privately, never assume who is or isn't backing you up behind the scenes. The Moderators who might seem to be adversaries in public threads just might be ardent supporters behind the scenes.

Beyond this issue and in regard to my Moderation overall, there are a number of non-Moderator forum members who I will go to seeking a reality check for my perceptions.

I stand by my arguments against posts using excessively oversized fonts.

Now you have the behind the scenes thinking that went into the ban. End the speculating. The issue was never Zephyr. It is formatting. It's done.

Do we favor or have any issue with forum members posting using any style they want?

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Jasonik has a good point about the blogs...that could be a solution to consider: in the blog section one can post in their own personal style and use them for archivial threads and threads where one is not interested in opening up the subject to discussion. One can edit as he/she pleases. If I had time I'd start one about food: I have lots more to say about anchiovies... complete with steamy over-sized photos.

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
With a little effort, this thread could become epic.

stache
December 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
How many people read the blogs?

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
How many people read the blogs?

I keep posting to some threads mind you because I have a certain passion regardless of response. That will automatically raise my non-response quotient immediately.

Seems not relevant.

lofter1
December 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm still not clear on creative formatting regulations ...

is
ANYTHING

and

EVERYTHING

no matter how aggravating and illegible

:confused: :confused: allowed :confused: :confused:

? ?

? ?

Or will this get me

Tossed

into the

Hamper, 2

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ? ??? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Alonzo-ny
December 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I, for one, rarely read blogs. Its almost impossible to know they are there. I have no idea when a new blog is written. I think some kind of formatting rules should be set. Even if its just a limit on fonts/sizes/colours. And please LEFT JUSTIFY.

Jasonik
December 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I think that there are implicit rules of decorum and etiquette in this forum that discourage distracting visual clutter.
Lofter, not tossed - but I'll be silently judging you... (and wondering if a 12 year old girl hijacked your user ID). :p

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ? ??? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Looks good to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/20070415083911_big.jpg

Zephyr
December 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Just when I vowed to remove myself from this thread I get dragged back into it.

There was no "feining" BR, more like masking and reacting to what one can see, not what one could know.

You continue to dramatise, in my opinion, instead of providing what is needed in this role you occupy. How can you think this latest revelation makes any of this more clear? It is self-serving because essentially that post of mine was before being banned, but after being excoriated by your post that challenged me to go public or go PM. I never saw this answer you are so suddenly providing until well after the ban and even the reversal. And yet you are making it appear that I knew about your response all along. That is both unfair and untrue.

BTW, I can't believe I have to mention this, but you leave me no choice: PMs should never be brought into this or any other forum for public consumption, only the results, because they are private for a reason. The message I'm getting here is that privacy is OK until expediency demands its abandonment. And with this abandonment, it is still not an accurate portrayal of what happened, its a peek into the mess that is there.

When I could send my next PM, I have requested information that may not be known by you, and it is because of the confusion that this ban has presented - the first infraction and/or ban that I have received on any website since I have been posting. Unlike you, I will not post details of this PM on this thread, no matter what the response.

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well, here goes...

First of all, the rules didn't come with the forum. They evolved over time, and can be added to or subtracted from. Secondly, this is a discussion forum, and issues involving readability are valid.

When it was discussed a month ago, the problem was not so much the creative formatting (colors, graphics, etc), as the overall size of the entire post.

For me, they are too big. My solution has been to reduce the font size of my monitor a few clicks (on a PC it's either a keyboard button or CNTRL-thumbwheel). The problem is that any other posts in the thread are too small to read, and I have to reverse the procedure.

A big deal? No, but neither is the alternative. Leave the [size=3 ] tag off the entire post, and everything is reduced to the forum default. But any creative additions (color,title size, graphics) remain. The reduction is proportional, and whoever prefers the larger font can do the reverse of what I do to my monitor.

Some of the longer posts strung together do affect my concentration. And the one sentence responses get lost in the volume.

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Just when I vowed to remove myself from this thread I get dragged back into it.

Take it to another thread, and discuss it with BR and Edward. It was off-topic yesterday, and it still is today.

Any further posts that are not specifically about the topic title will be deleted.

ablarc
December 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
In view of how much effort is put into such posts as Zephyr's, it's my feeling that their creators should be entitled to choose their format along with their words --within reason, of course-- and reason hasn't been breached by Zephyr imo.

Btw, the paranoia in this thread is thick enough to cut with a knife.

Alonzo-ny
December 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
What about readability. Whats the point of all the effort if it makes people skip the posts?

ablarc
December 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Readability? Oh, I dunno; larger print is generally easier to read.

Must be something else going on there, like: "who does this guy think he is?"

Ninjahedge
December 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
OK, lotsa posts, i skipped from page 2 to the end, but I don't think I really missed much! ;)

While I do find some of the oversized fonts, colors, and centered text a little distracting, there are many threads where that really does not matter.

The only thing I find distracting, although I can find no real problem with it, is when 3-4 long articles are placed on a thread in short order. Even subjects I am interested in cannot bear that amount of time to read, especially at work!

But there is no cause to sound the claxon of alarm over something like that. I just scroll down.

Now, as for making any standard formatting a rule, that is tough to do. You get people who would read it to the letter and make it difficult for people by complaining about a font size, color, or style that is available in the text editor. That is not what this is about.

I think, Zephyr, that you should maybe just take it for what it is worth. A bit of advice. Just tone down the color and stuff a bit. If peopel wanted to go to Yahoo News to read an article, they would, but here they are expecting something a bit less splashy.

So increase the size of the article title by one size, use bold when you need to, but try to keep things in Veranda (default?) and black-and-white if you can. Try to keep left-side formatting as this is not a fixed width site and peopel with wider browser windows might find it distracting to have a centered text piece with hard carriage returns forcing a plethora of white space on either side of the text.

As for the bold/color emphasis.... Well, that is a standard here. So long as it is not exaggerated too much, the emphasis will be noted and your point will be expressed! ;)

Just know that despite a few grumpy people, your input is appreciated here. Hell, even the grumps probably appreciate what you have to offer, they just have old eyes (or a manager over their shoulder) that make it harder for them to read! ;)

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I can't give a reason for it, but there's evidence that the posts are skipped over.

Studies on text line-length have been generally inconclusive in the past, but newer studies have shown that line-lengths longer than what used to be the standard 50 characters increases reading comprehension.
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/72/LineLength.asp

And we still have the problem of the other (smaller) posts mixed in. If the text is too small, then all the text should be increased in size.

As I already said, anyone can adjust the font size of their monitor to suit their own tastes, but it should be done from a common size.

The alternative is to have everyone format [size=3 ], which seems silly.

lofter1
December 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
What about readability. Whats the point of all the effort if it makes people skip the posts?

Fonts, space, graphics and formatting all communicate something to the
reader. Some are more successful than others in reaching an audience...

If one were so inclined one could obtain a Degree (http://www.onlinegraphicdesigndegrees.org/) covering the subject.

Where is Midtown Guy when we need him?

What Fonts “Say”: The Psychology of the Typeface (http://tharseo.wordpress.com/2007/03/27/what-fonts-say-the-psychology-of-the-typeface/)

http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/81/PersonalityofFonts.htm (http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/81/PersonalityofFonts.htm)

What does that Times New Roman font say about you? How about using something more unusual like Rage Italic? Check out this study from Wichita State University on the psychology of typefaces to discover what typefaces are best for web site copy, conveying “thanks” and much more.

The font of all personality

bbc news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1348871.stm)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1345000/images/_1348871_font_300psd.gif
Typeface analysis: graphology for the 21st century

The choice of font used in e-mails and type-written letters could say more about an individual's personality than their creative writing skills.

Graphology - the art of studying handwriting - has been used for centuries to try to analyse people's characters, but since the demise of personal handwriting, the experts have moved on to typefaces to look for clues to our identities.

If the experts are correct, choice of font could prove important when writing a letter to your bank manager or a spurned lover.

The Psychology of Fonts, commissioned by Lexmark Printers and written by psychologist Dr Aric Sigman explains how a typeface will significantly influence what the reader thinks about you.

Courier is seen as the choice of "sensible shoes" type of people or "anoraks" and curvy icons like Georgia or Shelly suggest a bit of a "rock chick" personality.

The study suggests fonts can be matched to top personalities, and cites the following examples:

Kylie Minogue (the sex kitten) - Shelley
Ian Beale (the cheapskate anorak) - Courier
Richard Branson (professional yet appealing) - Verdana
Anna Ford (trustworthy and respectable) - Times
Dr Sigman said: "Using the wrong font may give people the wrong impression about you and could affect decisions that will shape your future."

Size matters

Font size is also important, especially for power letters where less is definitely more and a smaller typeface is preferable.

Applying for a new job? Then choose Times for your CV for a traditional company and Verdana for a more contemporary firm.

Use Courier New for "automaton-like" coldness, perhaps when resigning from a job on bad terms.
The study found rectilinear fonts were more appealing to men, while the more round and curvy fonts with prominent tails were favourites with women.

Serif styles such as Times New Roman show a compromise between old and new, conjuring up images of trustworthiness that have made them a favourite of solicitors.

Conclusions drawn from the study were that there is a huge opportunity for people to express themselves through font style, which people should exploit more fully.

Dressed for the Occasion:

Font-Product Congruity in the Perception of Logotype

sciencedirect.com (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B8JGB-4RNT6VW-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0e212b16bd8e2320aa0b02e004b43cb5)

Styles of lettering (i.e., fonts) can differ in their appropriateness for describing certain types of brands and products. We use the Osgood dimensions of evaluation, potency, and activity to measure the connotative meaning of fonts and product categories. Judgments of the appropriateness of a font for a product partly depend on the consistency between the connotative meaning of the font and that of the product along dimensions of potency and activity. However, its perceived appropriateness also depends on the connotative meaning of the font per se, indeendent of the type of product being described.

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Now, as for making any standard formatting a rule, that is tough to do.Why is that tough to do?

We're not talking about standardizing the entire structure of a post, just the base size of text. That would require people to do nothing.

That would not eliminate creative formatting.

We're talking about the above v. below.

Now, as for making any standard formatting a rule, that is tough to do.Why is that tough to do?

We're not talking about standardizing the entire structure of a post, just the base size of text. That would require people to do nothing.

That would not eliminate creative formatting.

Jasonik
December 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Lofter, for some intellectually stimulating font geekery I highly recommend:

http://www.helveticafilm.com/images/helvetica.newsite.dots.gif (http://www.helveticafilm.com/)

I recently attended a screening at the BPL (http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/bostlib/bostlib.html) followed by a panel discussion. :cool:

dtolman
December 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Since their was an open call for opinions - I don't see what the fuss here is about. I find Z's posts perfectly readable - more so than posters who spit out gobs of text with too few line breaks.

Alonzo-ny
December 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Readability? Oh, I dunno; larger print is generally easier to read.

Must be something else going on there, like: "who does this guy think he is?"

Larger, larger than what? If I were to use size 50 font here would size 100 really make it easier?

Zippy's post above demonstrates size issues well. The second version makes me want to move further back from the screen to read it easier.

As for your second point, I think your just rocking the boat with that statement.

I think the reason some people feel strongly about this, me included, is that we really want to read the posts but it is made unnecessarily prohibitive.

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Let's not get crazy.

No matter what happens, we're never going to allow giant font sizes or

unreadable text.

Ninjahedge
December 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Why is that tough to do?

Because I have been to places where they have done things like limit font and remove most formatting and people don't like that.

They don't mind others being told what to do so long as it is withinn what they feel is right, but as soon as you start making TNR 10 pt black a standard (w/only bold/italics being available) you can get into a rough.

Whatever, just my 2 zip. You guys can do whatever you want. I usually find it to be to much of a PITA to start using funky gifs and fonts all over, so it is no skin off my back.

Jasonik
December 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I think it might be appropriate to add to the Forum Rules of Conduct something to the effect:

As a guideline for visual uniformity and ease of reading, the main body of text should be the forum default size [size=2], employ paragraph breaks, and refrain from clownish color usage and other distracting whimsical visual clutter (excessive use of - smilies; text justification changes; animated gifs; etc.)

While members are encouraged to carefully format and present written content, as a general note, the emphasis should be on the content and not the presentation. In other words, posts needn't advertise themselves or try to visually upstage a thread or topic.

Recall the internet age aphorism: Content is king.

Does this seem reasonable?

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Because I have been to places where they have done things like limit font and remove most formatting and people don't like that.Go back to the post.

Where did I indicate remove most formatting?

Are the two examples I gave creatively different?

BTW Fabrizio, you've misspelled the thread title.

Fabrizio
December 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
2 "T"s.

I noticed it but once the title is posted it can't be changed. Can one of the monitors correct it? Thanks.

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Voila

Ninjahedge
December 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Maybe he was just talking about something Italian?

Forma Ting?

I dunno....

Zip, the problem comes in where you draw the line. The best is a tacit understanding of where things lie, but you get peopel arguing back and forth how a size=5 text line was allowed here, or a Comic Sans in purple was allowed there.

Making a bunch of formal rules on minor objects like this seem to be overkill. I think Zeph knows whwre you are coming from, and he also (hopefully) knows that a lot of us really do not mind (as much) and appreciates what he posts.

I don't think ANYONE here really thinks what he does is horrible, nowhere NEAR the Gif Saturation Bombing we had on occasion (which ALSO was never meant maliciously, but was just too much for this forum).

That being said.............. forumz r slow 2day......... ;)

Fabrizio
December 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Just know that despite a few grumpy people, your input is appreciated here. Hell, even the grumps probably appreciate what you have to offer, they just have old eyes (or a manager over their shoulder) that make it harder for them to read! ;)

(there's one in every crowd)

Ninja: At this point into the discussion perhaps it would be best to leave Zephyr out of this and talk about the issue? How's about it? And btw: The quality of the posts is not what the beef has been about.

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Zip, the problem comes in where you draw the line.I was specific. One change. Only one. Not a "bunch of formal rules."

Omit the size change for the entire post. That's what I did in that example. Nothing else within the post changes at all. If the title is 30% larger, that relationship remains. The color remains. Left justified or centered remains.

I don't think ANYONE here really thinks what he does is horrible, nowhere NEAR the Gif Saturation Bombing we had on occasionNo one has said that this is a major issue, something that must be done, or the forum will fall apart.

But neither is the rule about unnecessary quoting (continually violated). It's a minor issue; the forum would function without the rule, but it does impact readability.

stache
December 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Anybody can change the title of their own thread. Place your cursor near the thread title on the forum page and double click. :cool:

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM
We need a non-moderator to test this.

lofter1
December 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I couldn't make that "double click and change the title" trick work on one of the threads I originated :mad: .

What do I do now, Stache?

ZippyTheChimp
December 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I sometimes use that method instead of the drop-down menu to change a thread title.

I think it's a moderator-only function.

Jasonik
December 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Does this (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=267583&postcount=78) seem reasonable?

Fabrizio
December 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
So... in the end... adding everything up: what's the conclusion with formatting?

NYatKNIGHT
December 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
It's been a long-standing but not completely strict rule that the format ought to be consistent. Because of the software, it isn't always easy to conform when copying from another source, so there has been leeway where that occurs. The use of large and colorful fonts for its own sake has been discouraged though, and in some cases with new members they were asked to stop.

It has been said many times and in many ways that it would be nice if all the posts were consistent. However, it's not worth aggravating the veteran members over, so for someone who is a member in good standing, posts good content, and the format of posts is consistent throughout the forum, it is tolerated.

Since few members have voiced their opinion here, is there any reason to change this approach? I personally wish there were more opinions voiced and feel that we will have to revisit this issue if anyone else takes advantage of their veteran status. From some computers I use, if the text is too large or center justified, I skip reading those posts.

scumonkey
January 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Why is a moderator posting in gigantic over sized fonts?
(and after all the past bickering about this from forum members)
Nothing any other poster has ever put up,
has come anywhere close to this level of annoyance:confused:
(imho)

Fabrizio
January 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
That moderator has been gently nudged a few times but the spiteful in-your-face rudeness continues.

ZippyTheChimp
January 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
If any of you feel limited by the choice of [color=red, blue. etc]...

you can use the six-character hexadecimal code, [color=#------], and avail yourself of a 256 color palette.

However, many of them will get you in trouble.

Fabrizio
January 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
(you are not the moderator in question)

In the meantime, if anyone can help me with the proper codes it would be appreciated: I'm looking for the exact match to Dior's Diorific Roulette Red and Dior's Diorific Flirty Fuscia.

Thanks in advance.

ZippyTheChimp
January 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
(you are not the moderator in question)
I know. That's why there was no "^"

In the meantime, if anyone can help me with the proper codes it would be appreciated: I'm looking for the exact match to Dior's Diorific Roulette Red and Dior's Diorific Flirty Fuscia.

Thanks in advance.

F400A1

You may have to adjust it for flirtiness. It looks more obvious to me.

Fabrizio
January 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
It looks like a pretty good match but... pardon me while I...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/images.jpg

Yes, looks about right.

---

Fabrizio
January 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
BTW Zippy, again, notice there was no "^".

ZippyTheChimp
January 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
^
Doesn't matter.

Since the draft board days, my image is a moot point.

Hopefully having defused any tension , and returning to the topic...

IF anyone has any further comments, let's hear them. Maybe next week, the moderators will retire to deliberate.

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
One feature expected in the threads here is that I can narrow my browser page but still read all of the text in a thread. This is fundamental for those of us who work but keep WiredNY open at the same time. If type is centered you can not narrow your browser page.

From Wikipedia, excerpts about forms of spam:

Page widening

Causes of page widening (sometimes called page stretching or just stretching) include:
a wide image;
a very long string of characters without breaks;
a long line with the specification that the browser should not break it (for instance, use of the HTML tags <pre> or <nobr>);
a table with many columns, in particular if columns contain a long word (the minimum width of a column is the width of the longest word in it);
a table where the HTML specifies a large width.

The author of a web page may have failed to consider that the user:
may have a lower screen resolution
may be using a larger font
may be viewing several pages in more than one window at the same time
may be using a PDA
may be using a mobile phone.
All these may cause a wide page requiring horizontal scrolling.

Page widening by trolls

Page widening is done by internet trolls on many message boards and forums.....

This form of troll causes a web page to widen to a ridiculous width, to the point where one cannot read the text without constantly scrolling left and right.

Alonzo-ny
January 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
One thing I dont understand about some posts are when text is seemingly left justified but the images are centred. Very annoying.

See here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=268672&postcount=154

Its an unnatural way to read. Left right left right left...oh wait theres nothing here centre... left.

lofter1
January 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
... the moderators will retire ...

Say it ain't so.

But if it is, will there be a retirement party?

lofter1
January 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
... a wide page requiring horizontal scrolling.

A hateful situation, the creation of which should be avoided by posters at all costs.

Hence the 800 pixel max width for images.

Page widening is done by internet trolls on many message boards and forums .....

In our sitaution we're not dealing with trolling.

Maybe if we all get a beautiful 24" monitor (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB382LL/A) ...

[color=#F33DF6MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ]

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1497/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MB382?wid=326&hei=326&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

lofter1
January 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hmmmm ... the color coding didn't work (the MMmmm were supposed to show up as an Apple-ish purple).

This link shows websafe colors:

Hexagonal Hues retsof color names -- see "colors" link at the bottom (http://tools.firmlist.com/hexagonalhues/credits/john2.phtml)

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Could someone please kindly answer this: is the text shown below, a way over-800 pixel image or not?

Yes or no.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/Immagine4-3.jpg

Thanks in advance.

scumonkey
January 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
On my computer it shows your image as being:
593 pixels in Width, and 800 pixels in Height- with a
internet resolution of 72 px/inch

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yes, my image.... but I am asking about the original image that this is a screen-shot of.

I see that the text alone is about 970 pixel width... the white immovable borders make it even wider. Because it is center justified, the text does not adjust to screen size (as does the forum's default left-justified text)..... making it a fixed image.... like a photo. You must keep the screen open to a fixed width... other wise the text is "cut-off". You can see the effect in the screen-shot I posted.

At least this is what I am seeing... or is it a problem with Safari?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/Immagine4-3.jpg

scumonkey
January 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
well in that case....I went to page 11 of said thread,
found the original image and it is only: 650 X 425px (just the picture)
I see it all -nothing cut off, including text (but I have a wide screen monitor and use firefox)

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
scumonkey: I am not talking about the photo. Please reread my post.

Does anyone else see what I am speaking of?

ablarc
January 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
^ Looks OK to me. Causes no problems on my monitor.

Can you adjust your resolution?

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
No... I am working when I'm on the forum (believe it or not... ) so I can't adjust the resolution. But I am wondering if anyone else is having this prob.

Another thing: on the same thread the first 2 photos on your post I read as over 1,000 pixels wide... but I am being told they are not. Wierd.

scumonkey
January 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
If you thought about it, you would see (maybe on your screen you can't),
that the size/length of the text is a little less than twice the size of the pic
(a little more with the white margins),
giving you a reading of slightly more than 850px for widest point of post.
If I'm still not getting it well...Time for me to go smoke something and
let someone else have a crack at it?!:o

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I get that the text alone (in the example I posted) can only be reduced to a width of about 970 (not including the white border on the left)... until it stops reducing and is cut off by the browser window.
--

scumonkey
January 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
That is strange... I can even reduce the size of the window and still see all of it -text and photos:confused:

Fabrizio
January 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know... that's the way it's coming through over here... maybe there are pigeons on the antenna again.

One thing's for sure: this is my last Philco.

Alonzo-ny
January 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Fab its not just you. I just tried it and the posts you refer to do not change size when you reduce your browser size so they are in effect images. I tested it with a post formatted normally, it will re-adjust to fit no matter how small you make your browser.

Fabrizio
January 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
It's probably a defect with the under-sea cable.

Is Telstar still operating? Can you believe there was actually a time when a telecommunications satellite could be the inspiration for a pop song?

Telestar by the Tornados: number one in 1962. It's fabulous... please listen :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ybCjf6ras

I used the song as part of my act. I did interpretive dance.

You can see photos on the Atlantic City thread under "Steel Pier"

---

More about Telestar (fascinating read): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar_(song)

---

Jasonik
January 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I prefer DJ Icey. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Jasonik/R-137092-1151360374.jpg

Fabrizio
January 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
And then there's the Bangles perfectly lovely "Wishing on Telstar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEiqSeYCsYE

Anyway, I wish they'd get the damn thing fixed.

Ninjahedge
January 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Everyone is being so anal about this stuff it is rediculous.

This formatting is not garish or offensive, it is just inconvenient.

One thing that can easily be done though Zeyph. You can select the entire post ni edit and hit "decrease indent" to get rid of the dead white space at the edges.

This may make some of the posts less tidy, but it is very easy to do (takes 5 seconds) and will make the posts more compact (maybe easily fittable on a work-hidable browser window!!! ;))

BTW, I was able to see the entire post on a non-maximized window on a 1280x1024 screen (cheap). All I did was center the scroll bar and it fit everything.

People whining about not being able to fit everything should surf around a bit and try the fixed width BBS's that deliberately shring everything to fit not only the text, but advertisements on a "standard" archaic 800 pixel width. While this format here is not optimal, it is far from warranting this much discussion....

Thus being the reason I am discussing it! ;) Irony is so promiscuous, isn't it?

Fabrizio
January 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Gee Ninja... thanks for that.

While we are all centering our scrollbars and being anal and so forth:

I was not aware of this, but there is a film being released this year called "Telstar: The Joe Meek Story" starring Kevin Spacey. Can't wait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar_(film)

And there was also this: A Life in the Death of Joe Meek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Life_in_the_Death_of_Joe_Meek

--

Jasonik
January 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
According to the Telstar IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068669/) the film was nominated for a British Independent Film Award for Best Achievement in Production (it didn't win).

http://www.telstarthemovie.co.uk/

Ninjahedge
January 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Gee Ninja... thanks for that.

You? Sarcastic? Never!

While we are all centering our scrollbars and being anal and so forth:

Um, do what you want. AAMOF, go on complaining about the format of a bunch of posts from a very contributive member or GO FIND THE STORIES YOURSELF.

I was not aware of this, but there is a film being released this year called "Telstar: The Joe Meek Story" starring Kevin Spacey. Can't wait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar_(film)

And there was also this: A Life in the Death of Joe Meek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Life_in_the_Death_of_Joe_Meek

--

Off topic. But then again, you don't care about rules, now do you! ;)

Fabrizio
January 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Ninja.... since this must be explained to you: the discussion of the issue has pretty much petered out. It does not seem to be a problem for most... but does seem to be problem for a few long-term members. I was also interested to see if my browser problem was shared by others. And asked showing examples. The thread is good-natured and light and rifting into other subjects... as threads often do when the subject is exhausted.

Uh... what's your problem?

Ninjahedge
January 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Ninja.... since this must be explained to you: the discussion of the issue has pretty much petered out. Few seem interested... it does not seem to be a problem for most. I was interested to see if my browser problem was shared by others. And asked showing examples. The thread is good-natured and light and rifting into other other subjects.

Uh... what's your problem?
:rolleyes:

Are you trying to raise a ruckus now or do you think by asking me what my problem is that it will somehow come to a jovial and amicable conclusion?

Fabrizio
January 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I remember once being on an insufferable transatlantic flight, stuck sitting next to a guy who asked me that exact same question.

ZippyTheChimp
January 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Still active as far as the moderators are concerned.

We only request your comments. We don't need opinions on whether the issue is ridiculous or a threat to the internet.

If you have nothing to say, we take that as an "I don't care" or "Huh, what? Is something going on?"

If you want to make off-topic jokes to make us laugh - that's cool.

lofter1
January 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Could someone please clue me in regarding how to format all the great and assorted colors into a post (beyond the few options available here -- that tangent seemed to be instigated by Zip back HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=268240&postcount=94))

Jasonik
January 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
[co|or=#number]This text is colored.[/co|or]

Just use l instead of |. :)

ZippyTheChimp
January 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
The codes color=red, green, etc use software to translate the words into computer language. Sometimes you can use codes like color=aqua, or color=maroon.

To access all the colors available, use the hex-triplet, a 6 digit hexadecimal number (base 16: 0 thru 9, A thru F)

The first pair of numbers controls, red, the second green, the third blue.
F is the highest value, 0 is the lowest.

Red= FF0000
Green=00FF00
Blue = 0000FF
White = FFFFFF (all three primaries combine)
Black = 000000 (no color)

Any code with all six digits the same will be a shade of grey.

You don't have to remember any of this; just in case you might want to know what's going on. There are plenty of color wheels and charts you can use.

Like this (http://www.immigration-usa.com/html_colors.html#USAGE)

Just pick the color you want, and use the six digit code.

[ color=#------]

Don't forget the # sign.

lofter1
January 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Zip. I thought that's what I did with this (back HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=268712&postcount=103)):

F33DF6[/FONT]MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ]
[/FONT]
But it didn't work. Let me try again ...

F33DF6]

Arrrggggghhhhh :mad:

Now I see J's tip, so I'll give that a try...

[COLOR=#f33df6]MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[COLOR=#f33df6]
VOILA!

lofter1
January 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
But look ^ at all that other crazy Sh!t that came along with the color!!

lofter1
January 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
A few adjustements, and ...

CREATIVE FORMATTING

sheesh
Arrrggggghhhhh
!!!
Now I see J's tip, so I'll give that a try...

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now look what you've created :cool:

ZippyTheChimp
January 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I hope there'll be some thought in choosing colors for a post. We'd still like the main body of the text to be standard black.

Or WNY will start to look like a forum for 11 year old girls.

If I see anything like FFCC33, your post will be nuked.

I'm starting to feel like...
http://www.gigglefacestudios.com/giggleface_studios/images/2008/04/17/youngfrank72.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
January 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Lofter discovers

color.

http://images.chron.com/blogs/blog9/images/boyleyf.jpg

Fabrizio
January 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
testing

Jasonik
January 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/twayneking/Young-Frankenstein-bh03.jpg

Fabrizio
January 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/008.jpg

Edward
January 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I have edited Forum Rules of Conduct to include the following:

- When making a post, consider readability for other users. Keep in mind that other users may have a lower (or higher) screen resolution, or viewing several pages in more than one window.
a) Do not quote an entire post only relevant part. Remove any links to images in quotes.
b) Do not post images wider that 800 pixels. If the image is wider, post it as a link.

- Consider how formatting would affect visual uniformity and ease of reading - the main body of text should be the forum default size, employ paragraph breaks, and refrain from excessive color usage or center-justified text.

The readability of the forum was always a consideration, so this addition does not change any existing forum policy, perhaps just spells it out more clearly.

As Jasonik mentioned, content is king, and I would not want the formatting issues to distract us from making good content; but in order to have effective discussion the issue of how formatting affects readability for other people should be considered when making posts and reasonable effort should be made to make the reading easy and enjoyable.

Zephyr
January 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Now that these rules are in effect, I have enjoyed my time here, and thanks for your past patience. I will see some of you elsewhere ...

scumonkey
January 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q

Fabrizio
January 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
See you in Toronto:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5004

Oooops:

What does it matter what type face I use? Is there a restriction on that in a rule that I need to read?

http://urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=127429&postcount=75

Zephyr
January 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
And a special goodbye to you.

I've added a considerable amount to those Meier threads ... but facts don't seem to matter to you now do they?

Your humour is always appreciated ...:)

Fabrizio
January 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Zeph..Zeph...Zeph.... this is just the wrong place to be on a high horse... these are New Yorkers...

Anyway there's no reason to take your ball and go home.

Jasonik
January 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
A medal for your service Zephyr.

http://www.ieee.org/portal/cms_docs/about/awards/graphics/internetft.gif

Fabrizio
January 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
^ See what I mean? They'd do this even to friggin' Jean Nouvel if he were posting here. Get used to it.

Alonzo-ny
January 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Now that these rules are in effect, I have enjoyed my time here, and thanks for your past patience. I will see some of you elsewhere ...

Stubbornness to the point its pathetic.

ZippyTheChimp
January 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Let's allow this to pass.

ablarc
January 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
^ Like this? --

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.

For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Forum has been losing some of its best members.

Bodes well for the future?

Who’s next?

lofter1
January 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Everyone needs to move about once in a while.

Nothing stays the same forever ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLCaRM2YCuo

ablarc
January 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
^ When is your turn?

ZippyTheChimp
January 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
^ When is your turn?

When he tries to fire up his new computer

http://scriptmonster.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/exploding-computer.jpg

lofter1
January 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
That's my fear, but it's more likely if I DON"T get a new computer.

When is your turn?

Hmmm ... I could take that a couple of ways.

I'll be here 'til Hell freezes over.

Or until I hit 20K.

ablarc
January 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'll be here 'til Hell freezes over.

Or until I hit 20K.
Just around the corner.