PDA

View Full Version : Ban the Sale of Birds as Pets

luciedove
December 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
The New York Bird Club (http://www.manhattanbirdclub.com) rallies (http://www.change.org/ideas/view/ban_the_sale_of_birds_as_pets) for a law to be passed that would ban the sale of birds being kept as pets in the USA, as birds are being kept in cages too small to fly in for the majority of their lives, which in some cases is close to 100 years. It also contributes to the import of illegal bird types. Keeping birds is unnecessary and cruel. At the very least that regulations be placed on cage sizes, number of birds per cage, or even licences to keep birds as pets. It seems to me to be far too easy for any one to buy a bird from a pet shop with no knowledge of bird welfare and no questions asked of that person about where the bird will be kept, etc. If we can at least get our government to debate this subject, I do hope that some positive actions may be brought forward.

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It'll queue in nicely between financial meltdown and international terrorism.

Jasonik
December 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Banned in 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YbZ7iXFDA)

Birds in 2009?

Alonzo-ny
December 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
There is a bird you can have as a pet that can live to 100?!

ZippyTheChimp
December 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
A woman in my neighborhood has a parrot that is perched on her shoulder. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen her without it. A hit with the neighborhood kids. Like Mz Pirate.

Capn Birdseye would approve.

My grandparents had a parrot that was bi-lingual. He would announce the arrival of the mailman to my grandmother in either English or Italian. No one ever figured out what made him choose.

stache
December 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
A woman walks into a bar with a parrot on her shoulder and says, "Anyone who can guess the weight of this parrot gets to sleep with me". A drunk chimes in "50 pounds!", and the woman says, "Close enough!" :p

scumonkey
December 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM
A few days before Christmas, a man enters a pet store looking for a unique gift for his wife.
The store manager tells him he has just what he's looking for!
A beautiful parrot named Chet that sings Christmas carols. He brings the husband over to a colorful but quiet bird.
The man agrees that Chet certainly is pretty, but he doesn't seem to be much for singing.
The manager tells him to watch as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a lighter.
The manager then clicks the lighter and holds it under Chet's left foot. Immediately Chet starts singing; "Silent Night, Holy Night."

The husband is very impressed with Chet's singing abilities and watches as the manager moves the lighter underneath Chet's right foot.
Chet now starts to sing "Jingle Bells, Jingle All the Way."

The husband says Chet is perfect and that he'll take him.
The husband rushes home to his wife and insists upon giving her this wonderful gift immediately.
He presents Chet and starts to explain the parrot's special talent.

Demonstrating, he holds a lighter under Chet's left foot and the bird sings "Silent Night."
He then moves the lighter under the right foot and Chet lets loose a round of "Jingle Bells."

The wife is absolutely impressed, and with a mischievous grin asks her husband what happens
if he holds the lighter between Chet's legs instead. Curious the husband moves the lighter
between the bird's legs, and the bird begins to sing........ "Chet's Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire!"

BrooklynRider
December 30th, 2008, 02:51 AM
A pet bird is still my goal. I've been approaching to slowly over the last year. I haven't abandoned this. I'd like to adopt one. We'll see. I want a White-Bellied Caique.