PDA

View Full Version : Publishing in New York.

Aconite
January 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hi All,

I am currently studying towards my Masters Degree in Publishing and Editing, and will finish in the October this year. However I live in Australia, and the Publishing industry here is quite small. Everyone I speak to says that I need to go overseas to get experience in my chosen field, which is Editing.

I have narrowed my options down to New York and London, as they both have large and varied Publishing Industries. As I still have a year to go in my degree I am researching both cities to see which would be most suited to me.

What I would like for someone to tell me (as I can't seem to find any answers on the net...). If anyone works in the Publishing Industry could you tell me what the starting salary would be for someone with my degree, and what would increase my chances for getting a job.

I realise that coming from overseas it will be very hard for me to get a job that should by all rights go to someone from New York, but this is my chosen career and I desperately want to succeed, and doing that by staying in Australia is looking less and less likely.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Aconite.

Front_Porch
January 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
My guess would be around $30K if you could get a job -- it's a terrible time for both newspapers and magazines, because the automakers' troubles has meant far less advertising, which has led to a lot of layoffs.

www.mediabistro.com (http://www.mediabistro.com) will be a very good resource for you. Also you didn't mention News Corp. (my former employer) but anyone in New York hearing "Australia" and "publishing" is going to wonder why you didn't work there.

Good luck!

Aconite
January 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the info..

~Aconite