PDA

View Full Version : So, what are the chances of getting an apartment if...

Txoov
January 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Well, heres my situation. I'll be getting out of the military soon. My plan right now... or what I want to happen is, to go to school in NYC and have the new G.I. Bill pay my way through it. You see, the new G.I. Bill not only pays for tuition but also pays a housing allowance, depending on the zip code of your school... so, I've already applied to CUNY (it only pays for full tuition if the school is public) and now I'm just waiting to hear back from them. So, my next concern will be finding a place to live.

The housing allowance will be a pretty good chunk of change. It's based on the BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) of an E-5 with dependents. For example, for FY 2008 I would get $2,444 a month for housing.

I'm just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on this... especially considering that I'll probably be going to school full time, so I won't have a job or a guarantor either. Thanks for taking the time to look.

antinimby
January 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Like everything else, it will vary from from person to person, or in this case, landlord to landlord so you've got to look around.

718Bound
January 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
It's based on the BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) of an E-5 with dependents. For example, for FY 2008 I would get $2,444 a month for housing. .

Dependents? How many dependents do you have? Do you have to use any of that $2,444 for food to feed them?

Txoov
January 12th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Dependents. I won't have any... Sorry if that confused you a little. "E-5 with dependents" is a referrance to the military. Meaning... The amount of housing allowance I would get would be equal to someone in the military with the rank of E-5 (SGT) who also has dependents, no matter how many or few dependents I have.

I really appreciate the comments everybody... No matter what you have to say. Thanks.

Oh yeah what does "718" stand for? J/W because I recognize someone else on flickr with a similar username "718shooter".

718Bound
January 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I C, interesting about the housing allowance. I did go to Military.gov (or something like that) last night and looked at the BAH chart. They have a chart with dependents and without dependents, why does the military give someone without dependents the "with dependents" pay scale? Or does it have to do with the GI Bill and because you will be a student?

As far as 718:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_718

Since that is where I'm thinking about moving, comes my name 718bound.

No relation to 718shooter on flickr...