PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Photos and Changing Computers

lofter1
January 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I am about to switch to a new computer (I've been using the same PC ever since I first arrived at WNY) and wonder what effect this change in hardware might have on the phoros / images that I've uploaded to WNY for use in my posts.

(1) Will changing computers do anything to the photos that I've uploaded via the WNY "Manage Attachments" feature?

(2) The vast majority of the large phtos from my own camera that I've posted here were done via Photobucket. When uploading photos there they constantly tell you that if the file name is changed it will "break the link" to photos which previously have been posted using Photobucket. I fear this means that all my previous photo postings at WNY wghich were done using Photobucket will be replaced by the dreaded "X".

Anyone know anything about this?

Finally: If I'd been using the WNY Flickr site instead of Photobucket as the source of photo postings would this make a difference when changing computers?

Alonzo-ny
January 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I can tell you if you'd use Flickr they never change. I changed computers recently and all my images are still there.

ZippyTheChimp
January 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
(1) Will changing computers do anything to the photos that I've uploaded via the WNY "Manage Attachments" feature? No. Once you've uploaded material, your computer has nothing to do with it.

(2) The vast majority of the large phtos from my own camera that I've posted here were done via Photobucket. When uploading photos there they constantly tell you that if the file name is changed it will "break the link" to photos which previously have been posted using Photobucket.That's true for any internet linking. The file name is part of the url of the image page, and if its changed, the WNY server won't be able to find it.

I fear this means that all my previous photo postings at WNY wghich were done using Photobucket will be replaced by the dreaded "X".Why would you be changing file names? Just leave everything the way it is, and your computer change will be transparent.

If I'd been using the WNY Flickr site instead of Photobucket as the source of photo postings would this make a difference when changing computers?Look at it this way. If you power down your computer, it's off the web. No one at WNY would ask, "What the hell happened to Lofter's photos?"

lofter1
January 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Why would you be changing file names? Just leave everything the way it is, and your computer change will be transparent.

I'll be moving from PC to Mac :eek: . Everything is currently saved chronolgically in Adobe, but when I download photos I also save them in separate files organized by location (City / Borough > Neighborhood > Street > Address). Eventually I may move some things from exisitng files / folders to iPhoto. But since I'm going to be using MS Office for Mac I'll probably just leave all the tons of existing photo files & folders exactly as they are and save new photos in the same way.

It seems that my intricate catalog of files and sub-files (and sub-sub-files +) won't be recognized as such when copied / saved to iPhoto and I'd have to re-create a gazilion (OK, a few thousand) actual folders where I've tucked away my archive of the NYC streetscape 2006 - 2009.

I'm good at organizing, but stupid about lots of computer tech stuff and often think that the common sense answer / solution won't apply (when, in fact, it often does).

Side Note: Someone should develop a "Slide Show" feature whereby images can be aligned with iTunes so that the Slide Show can be set to play in time to the "beats per minute" of a song -- and automatically shift that timing as the song changes. I'd pay $5 for said feature :cool:

Finally: Anyone know how ro change the speed of a Slide Show in basic Adobe Photoshop (right now it crawls at deadly dull ~ 5 second intervals)?

Jasonik
January 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Lofter, your posted (hosted & linked) photos are in the cloud (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93841182).

http://singularityhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/internet_network_cloud.png

ZippyTheChimp
January 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Keep a copy of everything on your hard drive, and back that up periodically on an external drive.

lofter1
January 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM
My life ain't on no cloud ... It's all saved right here in front of me (and backed up on an external HD sittin' to my right -- just like Zip says to do). That's why I'm getting the 3T HD on my new 'puter :cool: [not]

I only use Photobucket so I can share big pics with all my "friends" here at WNY.

Although I wouldn't mind putting another copy of all the pics someplace where they're accessible to all (but I just don't want to have to pay to do it).

Ninjahedge
January 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think you might understand, but just in case you don't, think of it this way.

Think of the web, and places like Photobucket as one big computer. When you upload stuff, you are putting it on that computer. It now has nothing to do with your machine.

The ONLY thing I would do is write down the links, usernames and passwords of all the places you visit. If you had them saved, they will not be remembered when you switch machines.

As for a place to store photos. Look for "external RAID arrays". They are basically mini-servers that you can hook up and store more than just one drive at a time on.

The format I would suggest would be "RAID 5". It takes a bunch of disks that are the same size, lines them up, and makes the data split between them. One drive is kept as a record of what is on the others (for backup).

More technical explanation:

This took me a bit, but think of it like this.

Every bit of computer memory, HD or otherwise, is all 1's and 0's. That's it.

If you get a bunch of drives that are the same size, they will all have the same number (total) of 1's and 0's.

What a RAID 5 array does is it lines them all up so that it can count the numbers there in one row. Every time there is a 1 it toggles itself back and forth between a 1 or a 0.

Example: 1 0 0 1 1 (5 drives). The 6th record disk would add them up. The first "1" would switch the record to "1", the second to "0" and then the third back to "1". (like flicking a light switch on and off)

You would get 1 0 0 1 1 - 1

Why is this important? If one of the disks goes out, the others that are left can be looked at to tell what was there. Say drive # 4 goes out:

1 0 0 X 1 - 1

Add up the remainder to see what it was! What would the X need to be to get the 6th number to be a 1? It would have to be a 1.

BOTTOM LINE

What this does it it makes it so that you get more storage, and still have a backup. There are other RAID setups that just split the data up between drives. If one goes, all data is lost (Striped set, no redundancy). There are others called "mirrored" which do exactly what they say. They have 2 drives with the same data. These are the safest, but are naturally the most expensive.

RAID 5 gives you added security, a bit of extra bandwidth (you can write faster when you are writing to several rather than one drive through one pipeline) and more efficient storage (you have a 4 disk array, 25% is used as backup, not 50%).

If you need at home storage, and have SOME $$, get a RAID 5 array.

lofter1
January 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM
A friend was trying to explain that type of system ^ and with your words it's starting to make some sense.

Ninjahedge
January 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
A friend was trying to explain that type of system ^ and with your words it's starting to make some sense.

When it gets to making $$s, let me know! ;)

nycla3
January 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'll be moving from PC to Mac :eek: .

Finally: Anyone know how ro change the speed of a Slide Show in basic Adobe Photoshop (right now it crawls at deadly dull ~ 5 second intervals)?

You'll be using iPhoto for that feature when you transition to Mac...interval settings from 1-3600 seconds + plenty o' transitions including the iconic "Ken Burns" effect.

lofter1
January 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
And iPhoto '09 has the crazy "face recognition (http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/#faces)" feature :D ...