PDA

View Full Version : Bagging Groceries

nycla3
January 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
For many years, I have bagged my own groceries at supermarkets (providing there are no baggers...more common), because it gets me out of the supermarket faster. Naturally, over those years I have become more conscious of customers in front of me who don't. Certainly if everyone pitched in, it would be a better world, right? Another 20 minutes of your life to do something else, right? Lines go faster, peace comes to Planet Earth, right?

Most vexing is watching a perfectly healthly person over the age of 15 either on a BlackBerry, starting into space, reading a magazine or otherwise doing nada while a cashier scans loads of groceries and bags as well. It just doesn't make common sense (to me anyway.)

I wonder if it just doesn't occur to non-baggers. Or is it one of those "that's not my job and I'll be damned if I'm going to do someone else's job and to hell with everyone else" thing? Would you bag your own groceries if there was a financial incentive like some chains do if you bring your own bag?

Does anyone else feel this way? If it hadn't occured to you to bag your own, would you do so now because it might make sense? Or will you continue to not bag...its not your job.

Interested in all points of view.

Bronxbombers
January 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I used to work in a grocery in Los Angeles and near Los Angeles. The grocery store is called Food 4 Less. Most of the customers bag own groceries at Food 4 Less. There are Food 4 Less grocery stores locations in California and also in Nevada.

Ninjahedge
January 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It's weird. I have seen this in many manifestations. From the people who believe that they should not do it, they are above it, to a "not my job" attitude that any socioeconomic bracket can display.

It really bothers me. It is like the litterbug that just goes through their pockets trailing ATM receipts, or unwrapping their cigarettes and flicking the cellophane into the wind.

The look on those people's faces, even when walking by someone CLEANING UP THE AREA THEY JUST LITTERED IN, is a kind of "hey, that isn't my job, I don't get paid for it, so why should I care?". Ugh!

These are also the people that can't be bothered to reach over to the trashcan on the subway platform 3 feet away from them and choose to chuck their refuse on the track 15 feet away. Some go to more effort to do nothing than to do something that will help everyone.

Protest? Probably not, for some it is a way to prop themselves up. To believe that as low as they are in life, there is still someone below them forced to pick up THEIR trash and clean up THEIR mess. One of the greatest lessons that the American Population has learned from Celebrity and the Media.

As for bagging? At Shop Rite, 90% of the people I see are bagging. The odd thing is seeing the extra line people that are SUPPOSED to be helping bagging not doing squat. Or putting your loaf of bread in the same bag as your 12 packs of soda or cans of soup.

As for the 10% that do not help, I am tempted sometimes to actually "help" them myself. For some reason, people who are not ready to do their own work are very uncomfortable when a stranger, not in uniform, wants to "help" them! ;)

You just have to be careful. Dumb luck will have it that if you ever decide to criticize someone doing (or rather, NOT doing) their share will have you doing so to one that either cannot, or has just innocently enough preferred to "let them eat cake" w/o realizing what that really entails.

One of the worst feelings in the world is yelling at someone who actually has a legitimate reason for not doing what most of us should. SO maybe it is best to just ignore it while you are on line and wait until you get home before you post it online to vent to a bunch of like minded individuals....... ;)

(guilty)

nycla3
January 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
As for the 10% that do not help, I am tempted sometimes to actually "help" them myself. For some reason, people who are not ready to do their own work are very uncomfortable when a stranger, not in uniform, wants to "help" them! ;)

You just have to be careful. Dumb luck will have it that if you ever decide to criticize someone doing (or rather, NOT doing) their share will have you doing so to one that either cannot, or has just innocently enough preferred to "let them eat cake" w/o realizing what that really entails.

One of the worst feelings in the world is yellig at someone who actually has a legitimate reason for not doing what most of us should. SO maybe it is best to just ignore it while you are online and wait until you get home before you post it online to vent to a bunch of like minded individuals....... ;)
(guilty)

I've mostly bit my tongue...my wife dreads shopping with me because she knows when checkout time comes, the under-my-breath snarky comments are getting louder and more confrontational. And some of those healthy folks are six-footers. Mostly I just think that they don't know that they don't know, which is the shame of it.

Your other comments are spot on...this one happens to be on my top 5 list of day-to-day easy things we can do to make life easier. Path of least resistance sorta stuff.

NoyokA
January 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I go shopping about once a day and usually buy under 10 items when I go shopping because I have a dorm sized fridge in my apartment. Usually the cashier does the bagging in one motion from scanning to bag. The bagging protocol has never been a pet-peeve of mine. If the groceries start piling up I start packing. I did once experience a funny situation at gristedes, a guy was checking out and I guess wasn't bagging his groceries, so the cashier flipped out on him, calling him yuppy scum and yelling out all these explectatives, the guys response as to why he wasn't bagging was that it wasn't his job. The lady was probably right about the yuppy scum, but you don't yell at and insult a customer, shes lucky that she didn't flip out on me because I would've gotten her fired.

Ninjahedge
January 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Two wrongs makes a scene.

She should not have yelled, she should have taken her time bagging for him. If he wanted faster, he could help!

Strange thing is, I usually do not like them bagging my stuff. They put things like Ice Cream next to cereal, or raw meat (double bagged) in with dish detergent. Just stuff that will make it more likely for you to forget to put the ice cream in the freezer until the last bag.... :p

Oh, and double-plastic bagging EVERYTHING! I know, some things may need it (milk/OJ) but veggies? I feel guilty about the environment as it is! Don't give me more plastic than I can re-use later!

Anyway..... Yeah, that guy was a yuppie twit and should have helped. His answer that "it is not his job" was bad. But that cashier should have had a talking to later. That is no way to treat a customer, even a twit.

Bob
January 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I always help out with the bagging, and say "thank you" to the people who assist. I also return shopping carts from the parking lot, not so much because I'm a nice guy, but the fact that it's a simple courtesy that can prevent dents to cars.

Schadenfrau
January 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM
The bagging protocol has never been a pet-peeve of mine. If the groceries start piling up I start packing.

Same. I usually start bagging after the checker has scanned a few things and made no effort to start bagging his/herself. I can't stand waiting on line at the grocery store while some idiot stares into space as the checker spends fifteen minutes shoving a week's worth of groceries into shopping bags. Keep the line moving, folks.

Ninjahedge
January 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM
One of the hardest things, I have found, is pulling your cart into the aisle.

You either pull in, and have trouble reaching over the bar to grab the stuff and put it on the belt, or you get in front, which leaves you with nothing to put the stuff in when you start bagging (until you pull the cart 100% out and get back around it to bag and pay).

Maybe backing the cart in would be the easiest/quickest way?

Schadenfrau
January 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
That last post reveals that you don't shop for groceries in NYC, Ninjahedge!

Ninjahedge
February 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
OMG!!!!

I live in Hoboken and I do not shop in the city???!?!?!? :eek:

(note: SARCASM!!!! ;) )

BTW, yes, I have been to D'ag, and yes they have the mini-carts. But are you saying people in NYC do not go to Shop Rite, Stop and Shop CostCo, or any other shopping-cart weilding institution? ;)

Is there something wrong with not liking to pay more money for things? :confused:

Schadenfrau
February 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Nothing wrong at all, but it just struck me how different shopping for groceries is in NYC than pretty much everywhere else in the country.

Ninjahedge
February 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Depends on what you are shopping for.

NYC is definitely more towards the small shop. Shopping only for a few days in advance. I see a blend in Hoboken, both going to the Korean Grocery for this and that, but heading to Shop Rite for the big stuff......

NYatKNIGHT
February 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Carts don't usually fit between the registers where I shop.

Speaking of not bagging groceries, how about that person ahead of you in line who is having a full-on conversation on the phone. Sometimes their head is so far up their ass they not only don't help bag but they aren't swiping their card, hitting 'enter', signing their slip, or they're just looking for change one penny at a time, fully distracted.