PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NY

JackiSG
January 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hello,

I am moving to NY (with my family) to attend the French Culinary Institute (Fall of 2009). I need a 2 bedroom apartment, and can aford upto $2,250 a month. I am open to traveling upto 25 mins to school. I have no knowledge of NYC, or the surrounding areas. Which is where I need everyones help. What areas should I look into?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

JackiSG
January 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have been doing some research, but not sure how the areas are. Can you please give me some info if you know these particular areas. Thanks!

Maspeth

Williamsburg

Astoria

Bushwick

Sunset Park

Hoboken

Morningside

upper East Side

I came across rent.com and found some apartments, but not sure how they are or the area. Avalon Lyndhurst Apartments Lyndhurst NJ, Pacific Court apartments Jersey City NJ, The Landing at Port Imperial West New York NJ, Franklin Towers Bloomfield NJ. Anyone have info on them?

BrooklynRider
January 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM
You'll be wanting to catch the following subways:

R, W, Q, N, 6

I don't know much about Jersey, but I'm sure someone will chime in with info.

I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It is north of Sunset Park.

Maspeth
Maspeth is a decent working class neighborhood.

Williamsburg
Trendy neighborhood. It's still viewed as a artist/hipster/twenty-something neighborhood, although new developments are pushing the artists into cheaper Bushwick. There are great restaurants and nightlife. I'm not sure how strong the schools will be. Newer residents are urban professionals and young couples who decided to move out of Manhattan to have kids.

Astoria
Queens version of Williamsburgand although I'd say it is more stable neighborhood. There are pockets of public housing by the Queensboro Bridge. This is a good place to live, but your commute will be longer.

Bushwick
In my opinion, it is a bit down trodden. Artists and muscians pushed out of Williamsburg inched into Bushwick and "East Williamsburg" was born. Don;t be fooled. Not terrible if you are single or a young couple. I wouldn't want to raise kids there.

Sunset Park
This is a decent family neighborhood. This neighborhood is located equidistant between Park Slope and Bay Ridge. Actually, I have friend who just a had a child with another soon expected. They found a great apartment (big) in a great location (I think it is Bridge Ave) in Bay Ridge. Child friendly building in a very solid family-oriented stable neighborhood.

Hoboken
I love Hoboken. I tend to view it as a post college town. However, You migt want to private message Ninjahedge with questions about this. He knows the area well and will certainly fill you in.

Morningside
A decent area with Columbia University at its heart. I you look in this neighborhood, educate yourself,. columbia plans on a major campus expansion. Don't get caught in a great, seemingly bargain apartment that is in the path of the wrecking ball.

Upper East Side
A good neighborhood. Family oriented. The neighborhoods are served by the 4/5/6 trains, which is essentially one subway line running along Lexington Ave. Look at a map. The walk from the nice residential York Street to the subway is a friggin hike.

I'm partial to Brooklyn and suggest that you check out "brownstone Brooklyn" neighborhoods: Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Boerum Hill. They all have decent subway access and they are historic low-rise Brooklyn neighborhoods. It is also a borough of New York where apartments can be found for rent by the building owner (thus avoiding fees). You can also check out local Brooklyn Realty websites like www.bermanrealty.com.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions you'd rather not post in the forum. I'd be glad to help you if I can.

JackiSG
January 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you so much!