PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Job: Remotest Chain of Islands

lisag1
January 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi,
I live in the most remote chain of islands in the world, aka Hawai'i. I live on an outer island. So, housing is semi-reasonable, but everything else is super expensive because it's shipped twice and getting a car is very hard (then they rust out when you finally find one :rolleyes:). Pay is kind of crappy and Lord help you if you job gets cut. Oh and taxes are high. Anyhow, I do like it here, but I'd like to try NYC for a while. Doesn't have to be right away. Could I get your perspectives on a few things?

1. Do you know how/if I could go about securing a job in NYC from Hawai'i? I have a BA in Social Sciences and am a mid-career manager. I've worked mostly in social services (on mainland and here) in education and non-profits with lots of grants management and reporting experience. BUT, I don't mind a career change.

2. I'm hapa. I've read stats that say NYC is pretty white (75%). Are people okay with hapas? In parts of California and Oregon I was constantly asked, "What are you?" which is really annoying, time-consuming, de-moralizing, etc. My race is definitely not easily identified; some people think I'm white, some think I'm hispanic, or half black, or "oriental." Anyhow, they're all wrong, but I don't want to live in a sea of depressing ignorance. A little is fine, everyday is too much.

3. I don't mind living in a super tiny apartment (read tiny room with half kitchen and bath with only shower stall, sink, toilet). I'd rather do that than try to do the roommate thing. I've looked at apartments and most of the pictures seem really nice (hard wood floors and shit) and and as small as they are, kind of bigger than I absolutely need. Is this just the deal? NYC is just nice or scary crappy? 'Cause I could do with less if the neighborhood is close to subway and reasonably safe. Places I've lived in, in CA and HI have been very small.

K, thanks.

BrooklynRider
January 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM
1. Do you know how/if I could go about securing a job in NYC from Hawai'i? I have a BA in Social Sciences and am a mid-career manager. I've worked mostly in social services (on mainland and here) in education and non-profits with lots of grants management and reporting experience. BUT, I don't mind a career change.

You can check this site out for non-profit job opportunities:

www.idealist.org

2. I'm hapa. I've read stats that say NYC is pretty white (75%). Are people okay with hapas? In parts of California and Oregon I was constantly asked, "What are you?" which is really annoying, time-consuming, de-moralizing, etc. My race is definitely not easily identified; some people think I'm white, some think I'm hispanic, or half black, or "oriental." Anyhow, they're all wrong, but I don't want to live in a sea of depressing ignorance. A little is fine, everyday is too much.

Whites are not the majority in New York City. You can find assholes any where you go, but New York is not like most other places in America. Every race, ethnicity, religion, sexual-orientation, and political persuasion exists here. And, we exist rather peacefully. For all the bad wrap New Yorkers get, you never hear of rioting in NYC, students shooting up schools, or tension between races. Mass transit is safe. You can walk on streets without being harassed. However, you can probably find more people living on a four block area of NYC than live in your town.

3. I don't mind living in a super tiny apartment (read tiny room with half kitchen and bath with only shower stall, sink, toilet). I'd rather do that than try to do the roommate thing. I've looked at apartments and most of the pictures seem really nice (hard wood floors and shit) and and as small as they are, kind of bigger than I absolutely need. Is this just the deal? NYC is just nice or scary crappy? 'Cause I could do with less if the neighborhood is close to subway and reasonably safe. Places I've lived in, in CA and HI have been very small.

New York as every kind of living you can imagine. We have the most expensive condos (the topper in the market recently sold for $40million). They certainly have shoebox sized studio apartments, if you are so inclined. Working in Social Service in NYC, you'll probably find the best deals for your salary outside of Manhattan and in one of the other Boroughs - Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, or Staten Island.

lisag1
January 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thank so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, too. I've lived in areas that were supposedly so open-minded. In Santa Cruz (mostly white town) I was speaking with a professor who told me we were so lucky to live in a place with no racism (like that exists). She was white and the day before a skinhead had hassled my dad three blocks from where we were. Hilarious. Anyhow, I'm sure they're are jerks everywhere, but some places have an unpleasant vibe that I just don't want to sign-up for anymore.

Schadenfrau
January 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
For the record, only 35% of New York City residents are non-Hispanic whites. I have no idea where anyone would have come up with that 75% quote.