PDA

View Full Version : Posting Photos Images at WNY Using a Mac v. a PC (and other adventures)

lofter1
February 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'm into my second week learning about my new iMac and have found that when I try to post articles with pictures here at WNY that the pictures don't show up. I never had that problem on my PC -- I could copy entire articles and paste them here as a new thread or a reply and everything would show up, photos & images & all.

I'm using Safari now; before I was on Explorer. I cornered someone at the Apple Store and we tried to figure it out, but no luck. She said it might be some default thing with Safari.

If I drag & drop a picture on the Mac from one window directly into a post / reply box window here at WNY then I get the link instead of the picture:

http://curbed.com/uploads/2009_02_gehrywatch.jpg

And if I drag & drop a picture onto my Mac desktop and then drag & drop it into the WNY post / reply box then I don't get an image, but rather (using the same picture as above) this is what shows up:

/Users/myname/Desktop/2009_02_gehrywatch.jpg

Going at it from another angle: When I do a google image search, find the images that fit the bill then choose the one I want and try to drag & drop it here this is what shows up:

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_12_beekman.jpg

BUT ... If I click that image and then use the "Insert Image" icon on the WNY tool bar (the yellow square with the mountain above the message box) and then copy / paste the link into that "Insert Image" box then -- VOILA! -- the picture FINALLY shows up (which seems like a lot of rigamarole just to post a pic) ...

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_12_beekman.jpg

HELP!!!

Then there is the problem of getting a screen capture -- seems there's no "Print Screen" key for it on a Mac. But you can get a screen capture on the Mac if you press these keys simultaneously: command :: shift :: 3 ...

When I try to paste that here absolutely nothing shows up.

Anyone know what this is all about? And what tricks there might be to allow me to post pics / images directly from other sites without a lot of fuss?

Thanks, as ever, in advance.

ps: When I get this figured out i have some other questions about what program / application might be good to take over the role that the tried 'n' true PAINT Application fulfilled on my PC.)

pps: And it seems that iLife '09 -- which should arrive in the mail any day now -- has a feature whereby iPhoto connects directly to Flickr accounts ... So of course I'll be tossing out some questions about how to best play with that in regard to WNY Flickr.

Jasonik
February 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
On a Mac, control-click is roughly equivalent to PC right-click when used on an image or link.

'Copy Image Address' and 'Copy Link' will be your new friends.

kz1000ps
February 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Then there is the problem of getting a screen capture -- seems there's no "Print Screen" key for it on a Mac. But you can get a screen capture on the Mac if you press these keys simultaneously: command :: shift :: 3 ...

When I try to paste that here absolutely nothing shows up.

The command-shift-3 function saves images as .pfd files, so that's probably why nothing is showing up. You'll have to open those files up in Preview, go to File and "export" the images as a .jpeg (or whatever file type you'd like). From there you should be good to go.

Also, while command-shift-3 takes full shots of your screen, command-shift-4 lets you select what area you want to capture.

ZippyTheChimp
February 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Lofter, is all this just a sneaky way of getting out of schlepping to construction sites with a camera?

I won't hear of it. No photos, no posting.

lofter1
February 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac is intuitive, but apparently I'm not :cool: .

Seems I learned way too many bad habits via self-taught practices on my PC, which worked just fine in that world. I'm slogging through and learning new stuff by the day. At least now I've gotten to the point where I rarely spend two hours trying to figure out what key will perform a simple little task. Or where a new folder is hiding. Although it totally confuses me why the "end" key drops you down to the bottom of the page (isn't that what the "page down" key is for?) instead of taking you to the end of a line :confused: ...

And I've yet to find what key Mac is used to repeat an action (like the trusty f4 key on a PC).

Photos will be more plentiful now that I'm getting the hang of iPhoto ... there's some from today over at Gehry Beekman thread.

Zip: When the iLife '09 gets installed I'll need full instruction as to how to connect direct to Flickr. But I sense you're a PC guy, eh?

lofter1
February 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM
... command-shift-4 lets you select what area you want to capture.

God Bless you!

No doubt I'll spend about 2 hours tonight trying to figure out what to do after I twist my hand to click those three keys ...

ZippyTheChimp
February 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I could probably help you out a little, but I'll let the Apple Heads guide you.

You should download Firefox for Mac as a browser. Some have told ne it's superior to Safari, but even if not, it's a good idea to have an alternate.

What model did you get?

kz1000ps
February 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM
No doubt I'll spend about 2 hours tonight trying to figure out what to do after I twist my hand to click those three keys ...

Yeah, it ain't easy. I do the thumb on Command, pinky on shift, and middle finger on the last key. You can just feel the carpal tunnel creeping up!

And although I have no major issues with Safari, I use Firefox almost exclusively. It seems to use up less memory, and you'll find that the keyboard shortcuts are more similar to what you're used to on a PC (regardless of whether you were using IE or Firefox there). But overall they're pretty similar.

lofter1
February 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Firefox does seem to be a good alternative. It's on my To Do list.

I got the 20" iMac (very sexy brushed aluminum -- arsenic-free / lead-free ) / Leopard 10.5.6. I wanted to get set up to cover myself for the next 4-5 years (hopefully). I'm loving it.

I'd been working on an old Dell with dinky amounts of memory & power, where applications could barely operate simultaneously, so this new baby is pretty impressive.

Here's what Mac says about itself:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.29f1

I also got a LaCie Rugged 500 GB Ext HD.

The new suite of iLife '09 (http://www.apple.com/ilife/) goodies should arrive in the mail for download toot sweet. Slideshows have some fun new features. No doubt it will have lots of surprises.

The free in-store workshops are very good for getting some basics. Plus I opted for One to One plan which are proving to be very helpful (although the promised 1 session / week are barely possible, as the program at $99 / year is incredibly popular and you can't book the next session until the current one is complete, at which time the next available seems to be ~ 10 days away).

lofter1
February 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
What Mac compatible program would be comparable to MS PAINT?

Something that allows the insertion of images into / on top of a photo. Cutting & pasting parts of photos. Things like that.

I don't need lots of bells and whistles, but I do like to play around. And I don't want to spend much $$.

Any suggestions?

ZippyTheChimp
February 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Photoshop Elements for Mac. Latest Version 7 is about $80, and there are various discounts and rebates. I think Adobe allows a free trial period with download before you have to get an activation code.

Stripped down version of the much more expensive Photoshop CS4.

All you'll need to process images.

No comparison to MS Paint.

Jasonik
February 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Graphic Converter (http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/193/key-features.html) (34.95 USD) can be downloaded and tested* for free "practically without any restrictions."

*Restriction: the unregistered version takes slightly longer to start [30 seconds of intentional inconvenience] and the batch processing function is disabled.

More akin to MS Paint in it's limitations than Photoshop CS. (I don't know about Elements).

ZippyTheChimp
February 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Photoshop Elements for Mac. Latest Version 7Windows is V7. For Mac it's V6.

Teno
February 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Its really more of a personal preference between Firefox and Safari. They play leapfrog in performance improvements. The advantage of Firefox is that it has a larger selection of 3rd party extensions. Out side of that they are both roughly equal.

In HTML and javascript performance they both are far ahead of IE.

I could probably help you out a little, but I'll let the Apple Heads guide you.

You should download Firefox for Mac as a browser. Some have told ne it's superior to Safari, but even if not, it's a good idea to have an alternate.

What model did you get?

Teno
February 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have rather large hands, but I've never found too much difficulty with that key command.

Here's a list of keyboard short cut from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

God Bless you!

Teno
February 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Their are a couple of different options, but I like Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/).

What Mac compatible program would be comparable to MS PAINT?

Something that allows the insertion of images into / on top of a photo. Cutting & pasting parts of photos. Things like that.

I don't need lots of bells and whistles, but I do like to play around. And I don't want to spend much $$.

Any suggestions?

NYatKNIGHT
February 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Teno? Nice to have you back.

Teno
February 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac is intuitive, but apparently I'm not :cool: .

Yeah, you just have to reprogram yourself. :)

Seems I learned way too many bad habits via self-taught practices on my PC, which worked just fine in that world. I'm slogging through and learning new stuff by the day. At least now I've gotten to the point where I rarely spend two hours trying to figure out what key will perform a simple little task. Or where a new folder is hiding. Although it totally confuses me why the "end" key drops you down to the bottom of the page (isn't that what the "page down" key is for?) instead of taking you to the end of a line :confused: ...

The file system of Mac and PC work entirely differently.

On the Mac you access your files in the finder list instead from the start button.

You can place an alias icon of your applications and frequently used files in the Dock at the bottom of the screen. This keeps you from cluttering up your desktop, but PC people really seem to like to do that anyway.

Also on the Mac their is no need for one window to cover the entire screen. The Mac desktop is designed to use multiple windows and easily switch between them, but PC people still like to enlarge the window and cover the entire screen anyway.

On Windows each open window represents an open application, when you close the window you close the application. While on the Mac each open window is from the same open application. When you close all of the windows does not mean you close the application.

And I've yet to find what key Mac is used to repeat an action (like the trusty f4 key on a PC).

I'm not sure what this function is, what action are you repeating?

Zip: When the iLife '09 gets installed I'll need full instruction as to how to connect direct to Flickr. But I sense you're a PC guy, eh?

I haven't yet used iPhoto '09 but its supposed to have direct access to Flickr.

Teno
February 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Oh wow, thanks. Didn't realize anyone missed me. :)

Teno? Nice to have you back.

lofter1
February 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Teno: Thanks for the tips.

My new favorite:

Control-Option-Command-8 :: Switch to White on Black

lofter1
February 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM
RE: A Mac key akin to the F4 key on a PC, used for a REPEAT Action

I'm not sure what this function is, what action are you repeating?

For example if I have a number and want to enter it into multiple disconnected cells on a spreadsheet, with the F4 I could simply move the cursor to the various cells (individually and sequentially) and each time tap the F4 key (move cursor to new cell - tap F4, move cursor to new cell - tap F4, etc.) and the same number would be inserted into each sequential cell ... (rather than using the two-fingered Paste function via "Command - V" ).

It would work the same for any action that needs to be repeated: If I wanted to add " ... " in numerous places in a document (don't ask me why, I just wanted to) I could repeat the placement by copying the first " ... " and then inserting it in numerous places by using the team of the cursor & the F4 key.

But maybe this is like using a hairpin to open a lock: Not the intended purpose of the "tool" but with some time and effort it will suffice.

ZippyTheChimp
February 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Do you have good power protection?

lofter1
February 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yep -- I have an APC battery powered surge protector.

For PAINT comparable an illustator / Apple-ite told me about this:

SKETCHBOOK (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/29264/sketchbook-pro-2009)

And I found these on a forum:

SKITCH (http://skitch.en.softonic.com/mac)

Link to the Mac OSX version of PaintBrush: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32559

Teno
February 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hhm, I've never used a function exactly like that. Its possible it may be hidden in OS X somewhere.

The solution Apple has created for simplifying repetitive tasks is Automator (http://www.apple.com/applescript/automation/automator/). You teach Automator a repeatable workflow and it automatically does all of the work for you.

I don't use Automator often. I used it a couple of years ago to help organize and sort hundreds of pictures into iPhoto. It worked perfectly.

RE: A Mac key akin to the F4 key on a PC, used for a REPEAT Action.

Teno
February 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Another really useful trick called Target Disk Mode. Its an easy way to transfer large or multiple files between Macs.

Say you want to transfer files between a desktop and a laptop. You connect the two with a FireWire cable with the desktop computer powered on and the laptop computer powered off.

You press the laptop power button while pressing the T button at the same time. After you hear the start up dong, a FireWire symbol will show on the laptop screen. The laptop will be recognized as a hard drive on the desktop screen. You can open up the laptop's folders on the desktop screen and trade files between the two machines.

Teno: Thanks for the tips.

My new favorite:

lofter1
February 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Does that ^ work for iTunes?

Teno
February 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yes you can move files out of iTunes. When you open the computer that is recognized as a hard drive you will see a user file. You open the user file and see subfiles. One is for music. Inside the music file is an iTunes file. You are able to drag songs or albums out of the iTunes file and drop them onto the desktop of the host computer.

But for iTunes on the new computer to recognize the new songs. You need to drop the song file on the desktop and import the file into the new iTunes folder. You can do that either by dragging and dropping the song into iTunes itself or using import from the drop down menu.

Any music with DRM is going to be locked to the person who bought it. So if you attempt to take DRM locked music from someone else's computer, it won't play in your iTunes account.

Ninjahedge
February 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I just find it odd that a computer company known for making thnigs supposedly easier has a command-shift-# tag for print screen rather than a button that says, of all things "print screen".

Seems rather sdrawkcab, you know?

Teno
February 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I suppose that depends on printing the screen being a commonly used function that requires its own key. Copy/Cut/Paste are far more commonly used functions and they don't have dedicated keys either.

In OS X you are able to reassign keyboard short cuts, if you want a particular function assigned to a particular key.

I just find it odd that a computer company known for making thnigs supposedly easier has a command-shift-# tag for print screen rather than a button that says, of all things "print screen".

Seems rather sdrawkcab, you know?

Ninjahedge
February 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, you just have to reprogram yourself. :)

The file system of Mac and PC work entirely differently.

On the Mac you access your files in the finder list instead from the start button.

You can also use Windows-E to open Explorer. You get a folder view with a tree on it. You can navigate that way. I have never used "start" to find thnigs except maybe recent files.

You can place an alias icon of your applications and frequently used files in the Dock at the bottom of the screen. This keeps you from cluttering up your desktop, but PC people really seem to like to do that anyway.

Some do, some don't. Some make shortcut folders that will open up a window to a bunch of other shortcuts. (me). A desktop is just what it is. A place to dump stuff, and it can get cluttered. It is best to organize than to just plop things wherever is convenient, but many people, BOTH Mac and PC users, do not do it like that.

Also on the Mac their is no need for one window to cover the entire screen. The Mac desktop is designed to use multiple windows and easily switch between them, but PC people still like to enlarge the window and cover the entire screen anyway.

C'mahhn! I have IE, Excel and Explorer and Winamp up right now on 2 screens. You can maximize if you want, but saying that is only for Windows people means you have not done too many apps that like the extra toolbar space. Autocad being one! ;) It all depends, if you are doing something small, like a note, you do not need it to take up your entire desk. But when you are working on larger things, sometimes it is better to take up as much room as you have so that detail is preserved and you save time scrolling around.

Sticking that on "PC People" is not fair.

On Windows each open window represents an open application, when you close the window you close the application. While on the Mac each open window is from the same open application. When you close all of the windows does not mean you close the application.

Depends, but that is one way of looking at it. You can also miniturize the windows if you want, and some, such as Azerus, Outlook and some others, still run even if you close the main window (you can usually see them in the small icon thingie on the bottom right of the screen). It all depends on the program and its use.

I guess that is it. It is good that you are helping Loft, but it would also help if you did not think that we are talking apples and elephants here! ;)

Sorry for the defensiveness, I just get a little peeved when people over-generalize a demographic.... :cool:

Ninjahedge
February 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I suppose that depends on printing the screen being a commonly used function that requires its own key. Copy/Cut/Paste are far more commonly used functions and they don't have dedicated keys either.

In OS X you are able to reassign keyboard short cuts, if you want a particular function assigned to a particular key.

I don't know about it being commonly used or not. I never use "scroll lock".

I think that the PC keyboards just started with more buttons. They were kind of an expansion on the old Apple II-E's, TI's and commodore's limited keyboards.

Apple focused more on mapping existing, and PC gave you a numpad. >shrug<

But it is just strange, with something as complicated as the old digitizer pads and their many-buttoned mice, you wonder what drove Apple to over-simplify theirs? Style? (digitizers were used for Cad and other graphic applications).

I kind of like having a few extra buttons on my mouse. Hell, 3 isn't enough!!! (My Logitech has 7+. I like using the mouse wheel for zooming, going back on web pages (when moving it side to side) or hitting enter with my thumb). When a mouse maker does it right, you get a really useful ergonomic product.

One button mice make me think I am wasting 4 fingers on my right hand!! :(

Ah well. Sorry if I am coming off as bashing... I try not to, it just gets hard when you get faced with things like those insulting Apple ads.

What is worse is when people buy because of them. :( :(

Teno
February 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
You can also use Windows-E to open Explorer. You get a folder view with a tree on it. You can navigate that way. I have never used "start" to find thnigs except maybe recent files.

I'm not trying to make a definitive and encompassing comparison between Windows and OS X. I'm just pointing out the common problems I've seen Windows users having when they switch to a Mac. Most people do not know how to open the system folders without the start button.

Some do, some don't. Some make shortcut folders that will open up a window to a bunch of other shortcuts. (me). A desktop is just what it is. A place to dump stuff, and it can get cluttered. It is best to organize than to just plop things wherever is convenient, but many people, BOTH Mac and PC users, do not do it like that.

The reason I've pointed out this difference is because Windows does not have an interface exactly like the OS X Dock. Well it appears the Task Bar in Windows 7 will behave more like the OS X Dock.

Most Windows users are coming from Windows XP and don't understand the use and purpose for the Dock. Windows users by habit are used to placing all of their icons directly on the desktop.

The Dock is designed to contain and organize application and folder icons instead of placing them on the desktop. I'm just explaining this purpose. Of course people are free to place folders and icons where ever they feel most comfortable.

C'mahhn! I have IE, Excel and Explorer and Winamp up right now on 2 screens. You can maximize if you want, but saying that is only for Windows people means you have not done too many apps that like the extra toolbar space. Autocad being one! ;) It all depends, if you are doing something small, like a note, you do not need it to take up your entire desk. But when you are working on larger things, sometimes it is better to take up as much room as you have so that detail is preserved and you save time scrolling around.

Sticking that on "PC People" is not fair.

When PC people come over to the Mac they feel they need every open window to take up the entire screen, because this is a convention in Windows. This is not a convention on the Mac. Because of the difference in the document presentation, the Mac is not even designed to be used this way. Once people understand that it becomes easier for them to use OS X.

Depends, but that is one way of looking at it. You can also miniturize the windows if you want, and some, such as Azerus, Outlook and some others, still run even if you close the main window (you can usually see them in the small icon thingie on the bottom right of the screen). It all depends on the program and its use.

The way both systems display windows and documents are different. Windows uses a document system called Multiple Document Interface. Every open document is an open application. Once you close all of the documents you close the application. Their are some applications that have a work around for this user interface convention by leaving an icon in the task bar. This is because as applications became more complex the multiple document interface did not effectively work anymore. But all Windows applications still have to work within the multiple document interface structure and are not free running applications, even if they appear to do so.

I guess that is it. It is good that you are helping Loft, but it would also help if you did not think that we are talking apples and elephants here! ;)

Sorry for the defensiveness, I just get a little peeved when people over-generalize a demographic.... :cool:

I'm not attempting to start a PC vs Mac argument. I'm only describing the difference between the two. I'm describing the problems I've seen people have who switch from Windows to Mac. I feel everyone is free to decide for themselves which they feel works better for them.

Teno
February 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
But it is just strange, with something as complicated as the old digitizer pads and their many-buttoned mice, you wonder what drove Apple to over-simplify theirs? Style? (digitizers were used for Cad and other graphic applications).

The Macintosh was the first computer to make the mouse widely usable. Its always had one button. Apple has said they feel most people want a simple-easy to use, one click mouse.

OS X can support multiple function mice if one prefers.

Ah well. Sorry if I am coming off as bashing... I try not to, it just gets hard when you get faced with things like those insulting Apple ads.

What is worse is when people buy because of them. :( :(

I wouldn't take marketing too seriously. The point is to make your product more attractive than your competitors. Just the nature of the game.

Gregory Tenenbaum
February 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Opera aint bad.