PDA

View Full Version : Dissing the Soldiers

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Something's been really getting to me over the past few days. I was browsing YouTube and came across some "Westboro Baptist Church" videos. They're a bunch of nutcases who go around the country protesting funerals of fallen troops who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They hold up signs that say "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "Pray for more Dead Soldiers" and "Thank God for 9/11." They literally go to the soldiers funeral processions, stand on the side of the road where the procession takes place, and hold the picket signs up for the family of the fallen to see and the whole town to see. It's funny how they'll use their right to do what the troops died for and then go and picket their funerals. The police here have to protect them, which I'm assuming is hard for a police officer to do because if I was a cop I'd gladly beat them.

Anyway, seems like Americans today take everything for granted... How you can sit in your warm home on Christmas Eve listening to "Silent Night" on the radio while some guys are out putting their lives on the line so that you can spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with your family.

I think every American should be forced to watch this video... Maybe it'll wake some people up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCQg2teFNc

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
That schmaltzy video is exploitive in it's own way too.

If anything it further underlines what a stupid war this is.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
That schmaltzy video is exploitive in it's own way too.

If anything it further underlines what a stupid war this is.

Excuse me for going off topic here, but why is it a stupid war? Before you type up an essay on the matter, PM it to me. This thread isn't meant for political discussions.

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Iis this is the first time you've heard someone say it's a stupid war?

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
This thread isn't meant for political discussions.What's it meant for?

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM
The political aspect was started by you:

How you can sit in your warm home on Christmas Eve listening to "Silent Night" on the radio while some guys are out putting their lives on the line so that you can spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with your family.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Iis this is the first time you've heard someone say it's a stupid war?

No, I'm just wondering why you think it's a stupid war.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
The political aspect was started by you:

Where in my first post did I mention anything about politics? It's merely a rant on a pathetic excuse for a church in Kansas and a tribute to the troops who have given their lives.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
What's it meant for?

Common sense will assist you in figuring that one out.

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Do you need me to enlighten you?

---

Where in my first post did I mention anything about politics?

Here:

Anyway, seems like Americans today take everything for granted... How you can sit in your warm home on Christmas Eve listening to "Silent Night" on the radio while some guys are out putting their lives on the line so that you can spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with your family.

Obviously you think that marines in Iraq are making the world a safer place. I disagree.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Do you need me to enlighten you?

This should be fun.

That post had nothing to do with politics, rather a statement aimed at people who think nothing of their lives and the price paid for the life they get to live.

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
No. You gave a political opinion about the war.

And so did I.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
No. You gave a political opinion about the war.

And so did I.

No, I didn't. I didn't say I supported the war and I didn't say I didn't support the war, although I do support the war. Now you can say I got political.

Fabrizio
March 26th, 2009, 11:38 AM
No, I didn't.

Yes, you did.

If you think that the marines presence in Iraq is making it possible for us to enjoy Christmas with our families, that is a political opinion.

I countered it with another political opinion.

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM
although I do support the war.There was no question of this. So, yeah, you were political.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, you did.

If you think that the marines presence in Iraq is making it possible for us to enjoy Christmas with our families, that is a political opinion.

There's no getting through to someone so one-sided. You obviously can't grasp the sacrifices that have been made.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
There was no question of this. So, yeah, you were political.

Read the sentence directly after that one.

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM
The sacrifices that have been made have nothing to do with the justification of the war.

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Read the sentence directly after that one.Why? I already knew your political position after your first post.

Was I wrong?

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The sacrifices that have been made have nothing to do with the justification of the war.

Therefore it has nothing to do with politics, which backs up my original argument seeing as though my first post was a tribute to those sacrifices.

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Why? I already knew your political position after your first post.

Was I wrong?

I don't know. I'm not a mind reader.

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know. I'm not a mind reader.You have to be a mind reader to know if what I stated about your political position is correct?

Don't you know what you believe?

ablarc
March 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Who's on first?

scumonkey
March 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
http://media.houston.indymedia.org/uploads/2008/11/kool-aid.gif

paulierules
March 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
You have to be a mind reader to know if what I stated about your political position is correct?

Don't you know what you believe?

What does that have to do with being a mind reader?

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
What does that have to do with being a mind reader?No, What's on second.

Ninjahedge
March 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM

That's an easy one.

They did not gage it right. They though they could depose a leader they helped create, and then simply let the rest of teh structure operate normally until a new leared was appointed/elected.

They did not think the entitre civil structure would dissapear so quickly, or that there was still so much religious devotion in teh Suni and Shia natives (they though the despotic leader had crushed that).

they did not do their research properly, they only looked for what would validate doing it. they wanted a foothold in the middle east where they did not have to worry about political disposition (Saudi/Israel) or pay to keep them afloat (Afghanistan).

They THOUGHT this would be perfect.

They did not think enough, therefore, it was stupid.

They should have devoted the same effort to Afghanistan and finished it. Strengthened relations with Turkey, then applied pressure to Iraq. The way we did it just cost too much time, money and lives.

Ninjahedge
March 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
No, What's on second.

I just don't know.

paulierules
March 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM
That's an easy one.

They did not gage it right. They though they could depose a leader they helped create, and then simply let the rest of teh structure operate normally until a new leared was appointed/elected.

They did not think the entitre civil structure would dissapear so quickly, or that there was still so much religious devotion in teh Suni and Shia natives (they though the despotic leader had crushed that).

they did not do their research properly, they only looked for what would validate doing it. they wanted a foothold in the middle east where they did not have to worry about political disposition (Saudi/Israel) or pay to keep them afloat (Afghanistan).

They THOUGHT this would be perfect.

They did not think enough, therefore, it was stupid.

They should have devoted the same effort to Afghanistan and finished it. Strengthened relations with Turkey, then applied pressure to Iraq. The way we did it just cost too much time, money and lives.

Wtf is this history class? History is nothing but history. Forget what happened, think about what's happening. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc are all a threat to our way of life. They want to bring us down... Should we wait for them to make the first move (which they already did on 9/11) or should we take them out before they make that move? Peace would be great, but there is never going to be peace between America and the Middle East. The only way to even try to settle it is through war. Oh well. Thank Saddam Hussein and thank Bin Laden for bringing this whole issue on. If Saddam didn't break the UN's rules then he would be alive today and if Bin Laden didn't have his cowards crash plane into our buildings then we wouldn't be slaughtering his little "military."

Republicans didn't bring this on, they did. All was dandy until 9/11.

ZippyTheChimp
March 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Wtf is this history class? History is nothing but history.OK, now I understand this...

Trust me man my parents are all over me about my grades.

paulierules
March 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM
OK, now I understand this...

???? And....?

ZippyTheChimp
March 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Nothing much to add, except maybe that your parents agree with the consensus around here as to the state of your intellectual development.

ablarc
March 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I Don't Know is on third.

MidtownGuy
March 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Ahhhh, turns out poor little Paulie is just a feeble minded child. With a gay name.

MidtownGuy
March 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
There, you see Paulie, I'm getting more hip every moment that I'm exposed to you. Now I'm using the word "gay" and everything, like a true Cleveland teenybopper.

Alonzo-ny
March 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
So many forum vets wasting their time.

ablarc
March 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Touche.

Fabrizio
March 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
But it's a chance to say something to a teenager other than, "I'll have a double-cheese, large fries and a Coke".

scumonkey
March 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Not a flag pin anywhere in sight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgywZZyCBg&feature=related

kz1000ps
March 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
But it's a chance to say something to a teenager other than, "I'll have a double-cheese, large fries and a Coke".

Zing!

Ninjahedge
March 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM
History?

You are treating things that happened only a few years back as if they happened in Colonial times?

"Yeah, who cares that he shot him! That was 20 years ago!!!!"

Cha! Right!

For someone who is so reluctant to admit "history" into a discussion, you were REALLY quick to bing in 9-11. Are you related to Gulianni?

Kid-o. When you as a question, you can't just call "no way" when someone gives you an answer you do not like. It may have worked for Bush in college (and Vietnam), but we all do not have the same cash/connections/parents......