PDA

View Full Version : college couple moving to ny...yikes

J&H
May 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hello all...

Me and my boyfriend currently go to Florida State University. Due to new updates with the GI bill, we will have new educational opportunities available to us. Through the program we will receive full tuition to any college as well as a living stipend based on area code. For NYC we can receive $2800 a month each ($5600 a month total) to live on (rent, food, transport). We know absolutely nothing about ny so we have a lot of questions.

I'm applying to NYU for summer/fall of 2010 for photography. Does anyone know anything about Tisch school of arts at NYU?

My boyfriend will be applying to CUNY John Jay college of criminal justice to study fire science and hopefully pass the test and get on the list for FDNY, if anyone has info on FDNY that would be great!

We're looking for an apartment with rent in the $2000-$2500 area but we're not sure of the best location. Areas in between NYU and CUNY are chelsea, midtown, murray hill, gramercy, and garment district.

Any help would be great, we're a little overwhelmed by NYC, but its a big dream :) thanks!

adchick82
May 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
There are good deals to be had all over Manhattan right now, but it's hard to say where the market will be 14 months from now. I wouldn't cap your search so far south - there are deals to be found, and easy commutes, from neighborhoods further uptown as well.